Taylor Swift Has a Way With Men and Words: 13 of Her Most Genius Lyrics

Taylor Swift is arguably one of the most controversial idols of the time period. There's many different opinions any person can have on her, but mostly the scales seem to be riddled with "I absolutely HATE her, she's a slut!" to "She's my BAE, I would do anything for her."

While is Swift argument could go on for eons, there is one thing that I'm sure of, at least personally-- no matter what goes on in her personal life or who exactly she's writing about, her songs are sometimes so lyrically genius that I have to step back and go, "Woah."

This list details 13 Taylor Swift lyrics that I deem some of her most genius.

***Keep in mind these are in no particular order***

1. All Too Well, 2012, Track 5, RED

"Maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much, but this thing was a masterpiece, 'til you tore it all up. Running scared, I was there, I remember it, all too well. Hey, you call me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest. I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here, 'cause I remember it all, all, all...too well."

I love this lyric. While All Too Well never got a music video, in the land of Swifties, it's one of the most revered pieces that Swift has ever crafted. It took me a good five minutes to pick this part of this song to feature-- all in all, it's an AMAZING piece, and I just couldn't decide! There's vivid imagary and metaphors and similies that tell a story instead of just a song. It makes you feel like you're a kid again, listening to a bedtime story-- but the only difference is, this one doesn't end like a perfect love story. Instead, it crashes and burns, right around Taylor.

Performed at the Grammys and sometimes referred to as the 'Swiftie Anthem' this song is one of the best songs that Taylor has ever written, according to critics.

2. Enchanted, 2010, Track 9, Speak Now

This is me praying that this is the very first page, not where the story line ends. My thoughts will echo your name until I see you again. These are the words I held back, as I was leaving too soon. I was enchanted to meet you...

The sweet, more country-ish lyrics from 2010 paint Taylor as an innocent girl with an open, daydreamer heart. The artistic inclusion of the fact that this experience feels like a fairy tale and the pretty, innocent tune make the song a light hearted love ballad that doesn't delve as much into sorrow and heartbreak as much as Taylor's other works.

3. Ronan, 2012, Charity Single

What if I'm standing in your closet trying to talk to you? What if I kept the hand-me-downs you won't grow into? And what if I really thought some miracle would see us through? What if that miracle was even getting one moment with you?

This heartbreaking verse is the bridge to a Charity Single Taylor wrote after reading a heartbroken mother's blog about her four year old son with cancer. The entire song is horridly heartbreaking, recounting little memories from the mother's four year time with her son and detailing how much she loved him.

It's definetly a tearjerker-- I recommend tissues!

4. Last Kiss, 2012, Track 13, Speak Now

I do remember the swing of your step, the life of the party, you're showing off again. And I roll my eyes and then you pull me in. I'm not much for dancing, but for you I did. Because I love your handshake, meeting my father. I love how you walk with your hands in your pockets, how you kissed me when I was in the middle of saying something-- there's not a day I don't miss those rude interruptions. And I'll go sit on the floor, wearing your clothes. All that I know is I don't know how to be something you miss. Never thought we'd have a last kiss. Never imagined we'd end like this...your name, forever the name on my lips... So I'll watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep.. and I feel you forget me like I used to feel you breathe. And I keep up with our old friends just to ask them how you are...hope it's nice where you are...And I hope the sun shines, and it's a beautiful day, and something reminds you, you wish you had stayed. You can plan for a change in weather and time...but I never planned on you changing your mind.

Maybe I added a bit too much from this song, but it was irresistable-- the song is so heartfelt and sorrowful that I couldn't refrain from doing so. This song is super specific, almost scarily so. It includes exact times and dates, which might contribute to it being such a wonderfully striking work.

Definite must to listen to after going through a breakup!

5. I Almost Do, 2012, Track 7, RED

I bet you think I either moved on or hate you, 'cause each time you reach out there's no reply. I bet it never ever occurred to you that I can't say 'hello" to you and risk another goodbye.

This song is so simply and moving at the same time, capturing all of us after leaving someone we love and knowing that we can't afford to go back-- because we couldn't stand them leaving again. It almost makes no sense in the way it makes sense, and Taylor paints the perfect picture of confused indescision.

6. Long Live, 2010, Track 14, Speak Now

Will you take a moment, promise me this...that you'll stand by me forever, but if God forbid fate should step in... and force us into a goodbye, if you have children some day... when they point to the pictures, please tell them my name. Tell them how the crowds went wild.Tell them how I hope they shine.

Being on the top of the world with a best friend is something that most of us have experienced. That dizzy euphoria of doing something fun and amazing and utterly crazy is just divine, especially if you do it with someone you love. But the fact that you might part ways with your best friends is a hammer to the heart for a good lot of us, adn this loud, exciting ballad entails the one plea you have for that one person who will always be in your heart. Say you'll remember me. (Get it? Anyone?)

7. Out of the Woods, 2014, Track 4, 1989

We were built to fall apart, then fall back together. Your necklace hanging from my neck, the night we couldn't quite forget, when we decided to move the furniture so we could dance, baby, like we stood a chance, two paper airplanes flying, flying, flying...

This one was quite popular, the music video released on New Year's Eve. Most people have seen this, as far as I know, and the lyrics escape most people's notice since it's considered 'mainstream', but I find this certain verse quite appealing.

There's something about the assumed doom and the lightness of the words combined that makes me want to get a paper airplane tattoo (I doodled these lyrics and paper airplanes all over everyhting as soon as I heard the song, including all over my arms). Not to mention the music video was no small piece of work, it was pretty amazing, you gotta admit!

8. Fearless, 2008, Track 1, Fearless

So baby drive slow, 'til we run out of road in this one horse town, I wanna stay right here in this passenger's seat. You put your eyes on me, in this moment now capture it, remember it.

'Cause I don't know how it gets better than this, you take my hand and drag me head first fearless! And I don't know why but with you I'd dance in a storm in my best dress, fearless!

More childish that Taylor's other songs, this one is bright and full of romantic prospects. The glowing innocence coupled with the vivid descriptions that seem to be Taylor's trademark, she makes you want to dance in the rain simply because why not? The music video for this track wasn't impressive by any means, but the song makes up for whatever it lacks.

9. I'm Only Me When I'm With You, 2006, Deluxe Track, Taylor Swift

I'm only up when you're not down. Don't wanna fly if you're still on the ground. It's like no matter what I do. Well you drive me crazy half the time; the other half I'm only trying to let you know that what I feel is true. And I'm only me when I'm with you!

Just a small town boy and girl livin' in a crazy world. Tryin' to figure out what is and isn't true and I don't try to hide my tears. The secrets or my deepest fears, through it all nobody gets me like you do. And you know everything about me-- you say that you can't live without me.

The simple yet complicated love between a pair of best friends is just adorable. In this old song that Taylor released in the time of debut, she reflects on the time spent with her best friend and makes sure to remember her roots.

10. Treacherous, 2012, Track 3, RED

I can't decide if it's a choice, getting swept away. I hear the sound of my own voice, asking you to stay. And all we are is skin and bone, trained to get along. Forever going with the flow, but you're friction.

With the same mood as I Knew You Were Trouble, this ballad is softer in tone, not even near as harsh, and just as lusty and nostalgic. The simplicity of the words and the rock-heavy meaning go together in a weird harmony that makes this song something that I would listen to a hundred times and never get bored of. Another one of my favorite lines from this song is, "...nothing safe is worth the drive but I would follow you, follow you home."

11. White Horse, 2008, Track 5, Fearless

And there you are on your knees, begging for forgiveness, begging for me. Just like I always wanted-- but I'm so sorry...

'cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairytale, I'm gonna find someone someday, who might actually treat me well. This is a big world! That was a small town! There in my rear view mirror disappearing now... and it's too late for you and your white horse... now it's too late for you and your white horse to catch me now...

Transforming from agony to agressive self respect, Taylor tells her beau that she can find someone better and doesn't need him or his cheating a** in his ex-love letter. I bet he regrets leaving her now! Between 2008 and today, Taylor has escalated to new heights, surely leaving her ex-lover and his white horse in the dust.

The timeless fairytale imagery and the rage coupled into this verse make it a real earworm and one of my old favorites.

12. Wildest Dreams, 2014, Track 9, 1989

Say you'll remember me, standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset, babe. Red lips and rosy cheeks, say you'll see me again, even if it's just pretend.

The pain of being utterly forgotten-- ouch. In this haunting piece (Guys, honestly, the chorus fills my head to the point where I feel empty, the music is just so well done!) Taylor begs his handsome, tall man not to forget her, and that it's okay if they never see eachother again as long as he reminisces her-- even if just in his wildest, craziest dreams. Romantic and nostalgically so, isn't it? The bolded line gets me-- she'd rather hear a lie than the cold, hard truth (or ground) (get it? anyone? *pouts*) which tells us how crazy she is about this guy! Talk about love!

13. Stay Stay Stay, 2012, Track 9, RED

You took the time to memorize me: My fears, my hopes, and dreams. I just like hangin' out with you all the time. All those times that you didn't leave; It's been occurring to me I'd like to hang out with you for my whole life...stay.

This upbeat tune is adorable and quirky, about Taylor's relationship with her soft-hearted S.O. It's so light and cute, but gets so deep in just one line. Personally, it makes me want to sing and dance and cry, all at once!

Thank you so much for reading this myTake, guys! I'd like to leave a disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE PICTURES. THERE WERE FOUND OFF OF THE GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE AND PICKED FOR AESTHETIC PURPOSES. I DO NOT OWN TAYLOR SWIFT OR ANY OF HER SONGS OR LYRICS OR ANY OF THE PICTURES USED IN THIS ARTICLE. IF YOU OWN ONE OF THE PICTURES ABOVE AND WOULD LIKE ME TO TAKE IT DOWN/SPECIFICALLY CREDIT YOU, PLEASE MESSAGE ME AND I WILL CERTAINLY DO IT. BY THIS ARTICLE I DO NOT WISH TO IMPLY THAT TAYLOR SWIFT IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER WRITER/PERSON. THIS IS SIMPLY AN APPRECIATIVE GLANCE FOR HER BETTER WORKS.

Please leave your opinions below! Thanks!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• Despite the disclaimer, I must argue against reference/implication of her being a "genius" in lyrics.

Personally, I don't see the "genius" in her work. Her lyrical writing is often very straightforward. It doesn't have much depth in it. There is a lack of possible interpretation in it. I feel like the straightforwardness also puts a damper on potential emotions it could evoke. Like @lyannamormont said, her lyrics are like speech. Sure, it beats out a band like Blink 182 as far as lyrical quality goes, but that isn't saying much lol. (Note I say that as a person who actually really quite likes much of Blink 182's stuff from the melodies and stuff)

When I think of a genius lyric writer, I think of Bob Dylan. The Arctic Monkeys have great lyrics too. I'm not a huge fan of either's music, but their lyrics are usually pretty spot on. I'm a personal fan of Goo Goo Dolls too and believe their lyrical content is decent as well... Black Balloon, Here Is Gone, Name, etc. I could also start naming metal bands too with decent emotional lyrical content.

While I think Swift's music is kinda crappy, the lyrics you highlighted aren't completely awful. They're alright-- I just don't think they are anywhere near masterclass work. Note I am talking about these lyrics only-- something like "Shake It Off" had purely awful lyrics. That song makes me think no one actually cares what someone says in a song, as long as it is repeated a lot and upbeat lol

Now, if we look at her melodies and instruments to her stuff, they are often very repetitive simple wash-rinse-repeat songs (aka very commercial-ish... aka pop music).

----Irrelevant rant incoming----
    Now if we talk about her as a person, I think she is wayyy overrated. I'm also pissed that she pulled a FineBros-esque copyright claim on things like...
    "Party like it’s 1989"
    "This sick beat"
    "Cause we never go out of style"
    "Could show you incredible things"
    "Nice to meet you. Where you been?"

... amongst other things by now.
    She is copyright crazy. I believe I heard also that she tried to copyright the year "1989" but was rejected. These claims also are not only for lyrics, but also things like t-shirts, aprons, typewriters, napkin holders, and so forth.

• No doubt, that is certainly the thing I notice about Taylor: she is good with lyrical writing. I do hate her guts though, I still think she's a brat lacking maturity and inner development, thinking writing songs about every guy she's been with who she perceives as heartbreakers really makes them give a damn and it doesn't.

My personal favorites are "22," "Shake It Off," "Trouble," and "Style." I think "Style" is my absolute favorite.

• I think it is to the point where Taylor goes out with guys, intentionally breaks up with them just to get pissed off and write another hit single.

It is getting boring and good luck to her finding anyone because no one would go near her or take her seriously in a relationship.

• It's not fair, I'll never get to have anal sex with Taylor Swift while she is wearing that lip stick. How am I supposed to go on living like this?

• If she really had a way with men they wouldn't all leave her.

I just came in because I wanted to say that.

Thank you for your time.

• Man, fuck Taylor Swift. She's constantly singing about boyfriend breakups and has little to no talent whatsoever, especially in her newer releases. Here's "Corporate Cloning" by Fear Factory, dedicated to her and the other useless pop stars.

A clone force mass produced
    Simulate, introduce
    Delinquent, rank and file
    Incodent, stamped and styled

Ill-affected progeny
    Tasteless iconography [x2]

A half-life in the line
    Industry, by design
    Plastic thoughts in my mind
    Thus begins my demise

This year's model dims and fades
    Last year's model is erased [x2]

Prototype
    By design
    Prototype
    Stand in line

(Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon
    (Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon

Life and sex share a mind
    Deviance is a crime
    Delinquent, rank and file
    Incodent, stamped and styled

Ill-affected progeny
    Tasteless iconography
    This years model dims and fades
    Last years model is erased

Prototype
    By design
    Prototype
    Stand in line

(Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon
    (Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon
    Another fallen icon

Sometimes I wish I were deaf and blind [x4]

(Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon
    (Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon

(Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon
    (Fading) Another fading idol
    (Falling) Another fallen icon... Icon

• Hmm, she can definitely have her way with me :P

• Well, her songwriters do at any rate...

• Her songs are those of a bitter entitled person who attempts to assume the higher moral ground but is most likely the entire problem themselves.
    With how many failed relationships she had, it is very difficult to not think that.

• I wouldn't be a huge fan but I did like the song Wildest Dream - What makes me chuckle is the thought if she ever settle down and got married, her career might be over, a lot of her work does seem to be about the most recent breakup before the album.

• I don't hate her, but I've never understood her popularity either. Like, she's just ok to me. I like so many other singers more and they can sing better as well that don't get 1/2 the attention she gets. Just don't get it? lol.

• Damn, feels 😍

• If this is supposed to represent deep meaning and clever writing, I am frankly not impressed.

All she ever does is tell how it's about her one way or another.

• I just all around love Taylor Swift!

• I think a few of those are nice lyrics but some of them are t really that good
    Like the disclaimer-'i don't own Taylor swift' 😂

• Lol, I couldn't decide what else to put. :) Which ones did you like and not like?

• All too well I quite like, but I bought a lot of the of the others, while not bad, we're just very generic, with unimpressive love song lyrics

• i.ytimg.com/vi/hZ6Ha0p9ZUM/maxresdefault.jpg
    She ain't got nothing on GhostFace!

• She's just a trashy whore.

• She's not that great at writing, it's very cliche. Almost everything is written about the same feelings.

She is definitely not a genius in terms of writing lyrics, she's amateurish at best

• I feel like I'm the only person who genuinely dosent like her music. Haha. Every single song is ex boyfriend this, breaking up that, cheating this.. Ughhhh. Haha

• I'm sorry you feel that way, and I don't feel apt on changing your opinion because I feel like that would take a lot of energy, but I'd like to remind you hat according to sources and not included any one night stands (if she's had any) she's only slept 1-3 people.

• Eh, Maybe its just me working on a construction site where several radios are constantly on all the time, But, When i listen to the same Taylor swift songs 17 times a day because they comprise 30% of the top charts then i get pretty peed off quickly, Haha.

• no you're not the only person who doesn't like her genuinely shitty music.

• Idgaf how man guys she dates, I just think her music is generic and boring.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 16

• The thing about this is... with the examption of Ronan, 2012, all of her lyrics are about leaving the man or the man leaving her and about how she so desperately want to be forever remembered by each of her part lovers. It's very narcissistic...
    Yeah, some of her lyrics are brilliant, but I'm inclined to believe not all written by her.

• I can't guarantee that they're all written by anyone or by Taylor, but according to her recording team, most of the songs with more than one writer/author listed was the person who made the music-- Taylor usually makes the lyrics. Also, Long Live and I'm Only Me When I'm With You aren't about men.

• She's okay to me. I don't love her, nor hate her. She does has some pretty catchy lyrics tho.

• Taylor has a lot of controversy with a dating life, but she does right some damn catchy songs.

• >>>>>>"Taylor has a lot of controversy"

It's kinda crazy to think about how -- once upon a time -- she was pretty much universally loved too! xD During her first and second albums "Taylor Swift" and "Fearless", she was pretty much the world's sweetheart lol. Her music wasn't for everyone of course, but most everybody still respected her and agreed with each other that she was a great person and role model. And everybody bashed Kanye West for interrupting her onstage back then. If Kanye did that now, a lot of people would probably celebrate him. xD Times have really changed. That's what tends to happen when a person becomes too famous, though, lol.

Personally, I think she should go back to doing country. I liked her sound more then. :P

• And Take Owner he wasn't talking to you.

• Haha indeed; there's no going back now. :P

For some reason, of all her songs, I'm remembering "Superstar" at the moment, lol (from 2009 I think), about a male singer with lots of female fans. It's probably one of the more interesting songs she's had, in my opinion, since she was already famous herself when she made it, with lots of male fans. I think that's why male fans originally liked her; her positive love songs also mirrored the way that guys felt about girls they liked, and how they wanted girls to feel about them. xD

• If you know me, you know that I LOVE Taylor Swift 😍

Love this myTake and I love all of her songs!

• Ahhhhh you and I are bffs forever then, honestly, I love her so much!

• Yes she has the looks, talents, but has a bad habit to vocalise every song based on her eeff up relationships... that she's kinda use all her boyfriends to write sad songs... but why can't she writes something more deeper other than those boys breaking her heart?

• I especially relate to lyrics #1, 4, 8, & 12
    I don't care how much people judge & hate her, some of her lyrics will always get to me.

• Taylor swift she love YouTube

• New Romantics, Speak now, Love Story, Mine and Red are also very good songs in my opinion :) But the lyrics are not the best

• I can't stand her, she only knows how to sing about her love problems.

• I'm sorry you feel that way-- she doesn't write about just her love problems though. I'm a major Swiftie, and I know it seems like she only writes about love, but a good deal of her songs are also about friendship and discovering yourself aganist the odds. I know this won't change your opinion aganist the way the media portrays her or the fact that the majority of her songs are about love, but I hope it softens your judgement of her. :)

• I don't like her. She is stupid.

• If this is considered genius, than people's standards have gone down A LOT. Makes me sad for the real geniuses in this world that they're put in the same category. Fuck. Not saying that she isn't a good writer, but I would not go so far as to say genius... I mean come on.

• I'm sorry you didn't like them-- there are better lyricists out there, but I was simply stating that these were some of her better works.

• Sleeping with a billion men and trashing them in front of the whole world in her lyrics is NOT bae, admirable, or powerful it's slutty. Period.

• According to sources, at the most she's slept with three men while in a relationship-- we have no information about one night stands. :)

• Nothing surprises me anymore

• She has a way with opening her legs every chance she gets

• her music is shit

• It is your take, not mine, I will not sit here and burn you down or despise you with what I am writing so do not get offended.

I do not get what people know about lyrical writing, and how they think Taylor is good. She writes what she speaks. Lyrical writing is something else, it is not directly giving the meaning.

Her melodies are also so boring and the same thing over and over again.

I think she is just a needy woman with a lack of maturity so what she does is to use the same catchy lyric on regular speech songs mostly pathetic lyrics, and try to be public with her life constantly.

• I'm sorry you feel that way. It would take me a lot of energy to change your opinion about her, but as a lazy person, I'd rather not, unless you'd like me to. All I can say is that I love her, and it doesn't bother me that you have a contradicting opinion because it makes me happy that you've taken time out of your schedule to leave your opinion here. Thank you!

• You can consume all your energy. When it comes to her and some other pop artists, I find them tasteless, and not creative. So my opinion will not change anyways.

• It's alright. :) I like your attitude though, sounds like me.

• That was super long. Does she even write her own songs? I thought Ed Sheeran wrote at least some of them for her.

• Yes, she writes her own songs, but if you want the pure Taylor only ones, you're going to have to look in her first three albums, Taylor Swift, Fearless, and Speak Now. Speak Now was written entirely by her.