When Did Fun Stop Being Fun?

With Ghostbusters and Pokemon Go causing so much anger and controversy in the last few weeks, I have to ask myself: When did we begin taking our interests so seriously, that it leads to insults being hurled, hackles being raised, and all out online wars taking place? Do we really hate players of a mobile game who aren't on our team, or treat people like shit if they like or don't like the cast of a movie? Are we truly so engrossed in these fantasy worlds that we are deeply offended or angered by those who don't see 100% eye to eye with our views? When did fun, stop being fun?

When Did We All Get So Serious?

It seems like we are becoming more and more aggressive about our passions and angry towards those who treat it differently than we do. I see #TeamWhatever tags everywhere, leading to wars on my Facebook feed and pictures of actual graffiti on public property. I hear players of the Pokemon and Yugioh card games criticizing new players who are learning their way around, calling them "scrubs" and "noobs" and making no effort to welcome them into the game. I see another lame reboot of a beloved 80's franchise leading people to call others "woman-hating MRA pigs" or "misogynistic feminazi SJWs" just for expressing an opinion on a movie in one direction or the other, even when it isn't related to the cast. We've turned activities that are meant to bring joy to our lives into another way to get angry at one another.

Hobbies Are Meant To Be Fun!

Hobbies and passions are one of the few things in life that people can obtain pure joy from. They are rooted far from the stresses of our daily lives and real world, and can come as close to or go as far away from our real selves as we see fit. They can spin an intelligent, nuanced story in our world that allows us to see our own lives from a different perspective, or weave a tale of high adventure and intrigue in a realm not bound by the laws of our own. Or they can make things go boom all over the place, which is fun too. Because they are separate from our daily lives, when we begin to treat them as seriously as our reality, we begin to drain out the joy we obtain from them.

I'm No Stranger To Intense Fandom...

I'm no stranger to diehard passion for a franchise. If my username and avatar didn't give it away, I am a complete Fire Emblem fangirl. I have played Awakening and Fates for a combined 1500 hours, have cosplayed as Corrin, and may or may not have a Xander body pillow that I cuddle and whisper sweet nothings to each night (that last one is a lie... maybe). I used to be among those who were upset by those who would criticize the games, to the point of becoming physically angry and upset and going on 20 minute long tirades about people not getting it or being entitled elitists who were being snooty. I would actually lose sleep from seething over the criticism and insults. In hindsight, it was ridiculous.

...But I Learned To Stop Taking It So Seriously

After a while, I took a step back and realized that all this baseless rage and anger was overshadowing the fun I got from being a fan of the series. Was it really worth becoming physically upset by the opinions and insults of people I would likely never meet, over a subject as trivial as a handheld video game? No. If I was drawing no joy from being a fan of this series, then what was the point? Absolutely not. From then on, I looked rationally at the positives and negatives of the games, ignored the straight insults with no substance, and enjoyed it for just being that: a game. It is still a huge part of who I am, no doubt, but I have put it into perspective and relish in all the wonderful and awful aspects that make it what it is.

Let's Make Our Passions Fun Again!

So this is a call to anyone who has ever had a passion in their lives that has been near and dear to their heart - geeks, nerds, fanboys, fangirls, Trekkies, Whovians, anyone at all. Let's stop spreading anger and hate into our passions, and return to the joy that we loved them for in the first place. There are plenty of places in life where anger and passion is warranted, and can even lead to change. The world of fandom is not one of them. You don't have to like other people's views, but respect that they are a person and that they are allowed to have them. Debate a movie, show a new gamer the ropes, write a fanfiction, whatever you enjoy about your favorite franchise. Let's just make them fun again, for everyone else, and especially ourselves!

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

• I think fun stopped being fun right around the time the internet came into being. That's when everyone could act like complete idiots without suffering any consequences thanks to the wonder of digital anonymity. When I was a kid, there were friendly and fun debates about the best video game system and games, for example, but they never escalated into freakin' fights and death threats.

No matter what the hobby or form of entertainment, getting people together online to talk about it will invariably result in ugliness. Sad but true.

• Anonymity just makes people show their true face.

Apart from the ones who put on a false face just to confuse others (trolls).

• The problem is not that it's taken too seriously, it's that people are inconsiderate of general property and value.

• I AGREE!

• Fun stopped being fun when women started playing video games. In fact whenever women get involved in any male hobby it instantly loses it's fun factor.

• Sad but true.

Luckily I belong to those, who play games for fun, not for cash grab, achievement whoring or desktop rage. That's purely nonsense.

Hell, I even play super old games, that were released in 1998 and I still enjoy them much more than most modern games.

(I don't play Pokemon Global Offensive :P)

• First off I didn't read the whole thing so if I'm a bit off here fair enough.

The general gist I got though is that people tend to think others should think/do/like or act the same way they do. Correct? Like if people like music or video games it's pretty healthy to seek out others with the same interests. However, the problem with people today is that they try to force their opinions or even tastes on other people or even if they like the same things they believe that their way is the best (video game strategy for example) and force that onto others sometimes aggressively.

Personally, I think this is indicitive of children or an immature mentality. When I was a teenager I was into metal and other heavy music (I still am) but had the mentality that my taste in music is better than everyone else's and that people I knew should listen to the same stuff or whatever simply because I like it even going as far as to say that their taste was crap and everything else. Having grown up I'm now more accepting and don't really bother about how people play games or what type of music they enjoy.

• Very true. It's an extremely immature way of thinking, and one I think most people grow out of. From experience, many people who have these more "geeky" interests tend to be a bit immature, myself included. I've finally grown out of the mentality, but I have seen people older than me behaving like children.

• Team mystic or GTF OP

• Fun stopped being fun when America adapted to its current PC culture, and everything suddenly became offensive. It seems like it's offensive to people to even laugh anymore. Any and every joke will have someone being "victimized" and "oppressed" by it. To think that people can be so sensitive as to have rallies and protests over words and language. It's all become fucking pathetic.
    As I've said previously, USA now stands for Unbelievably Sensitive Assholes.

• "... blah blah blah Xander body pillow blah blah blah"

Xander body pillow

Xander
    body
    pillow

media.giphy.com/media/jUwpNzg9IcyrK/giphy.gif

You didn't have to seed that thought :p

• You know what?

I think you're on to something here. =)

• Because people who take things like these way too seriously use it as a form of validation for their obvious mediocre lifestyle

• I wouldn't necessarily it's because their lifestyles are "obviously mediocre", but it could definitely come from a place of self-loathing. Maybe they don't like themselves for who they are, and use their interest to fill in their identity. I was like this years ago, being the nerd and overall outcast, but I've grown up since then.

• For sure, so was I.

I'm at work and had to keep my response short lol

• Fair enough lol.

• Looking back, fun stopped being fun when feminism deemed that sitting at home looking after your children and doing a bit of cooking was slavery.

At that point, everything that was, became the opposite. So like, Islam is brilliant to feminism, and white men oppress women. And Computer games are not fun pastimes, but tools of the patriarchy. Repeat, ad nauseam.

What Girls Said 6

• The only thing that grinds my gears on the people that play pokemon go. Are the complete idiots just starting down at the game and not looking around. You don't HAVE to stare at the phone, it vibrates if a pokemon pops out and ready to be caught. Sure you have to look down every once in a while to see if the footprints when finding one has gone down or not. Still they can spend most of their time looking around and instead on the app while playing. If I could I would spread what knowledge I have about the game to others that are n00bs. Being a n00b isn't a bad thing because it just means your a newbie/new to the game. Like I'm a n00b when it comes to League of Legends because I haven't had a chance to play it enough.

I think the main thing is how nobody wants to be proven wrong. So they can't accept someone not agreeing with them and liking the same thing. We as humans need to learn to let things go and move on.

• Yeah, I think that's just people being stupid, though. Pedestrians have always had their head sunk into their phones, Go just gives them another excuse. As far as being a newbie, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! There are people who treat it as such, though. Instead of helping new players improve their skills and understanding, they instead run all over them and make fun of how inexperienced they are. There's no better way than to kill your favorite game than driving away new players.

• True it's really annoying facing people like that. When I play warframe sometimes and a rank 15-20 person joins the party. If you're low rank or say you're confused about something, they will leave in that instant. I had that happen to me before with mist and it was so dumb because I knew what I was doing just I couldn't remember how this one mission went again since it had been a while.

• Who cares?

• Fun stopped being fun when things became offensive to others, property damage, and anything else that is bad or damaging

• I've never understood this either. I have fandoms that I like and I don't like. I don't like Twilight at all. I couldn't finish the first book because I couldn't stand Bella. However, I don't hate Twilight fans even though I don't understand why they like the books. I like the Harry Potter books, and I've actually lost friends over the fact that I like the books. The odd thing is, the people who reacted that way have never read the books. So I don't get the hatred over it. My sister once told me it was an embarrassment and to keep that to myself.

On Facebook I saw an article about Pokemon Go. Some of the comments were ridiculous. One girl was saying that the only people who like it are 40 year old virgins. She said they likely never had jobs either.

Why do people care so much what other people like or don't like?

• Is sex your idea of "fun"?

• Wait... What?

• When someone says, "let's have fun", the first thing that comes to mind is sex.

• That's one way to take fun lol. No, it wasn't the intention of the article, since you don't often have public pissing contests over who's position is the best. In a corner of the internet though, you never know...

• competition is fun tho

• It absolutely is! I actively play trading card games like Yugioh, and I enjoy the strategy and competition. The problem is when it goes beyond rivalry and in to hatred. I've stopped going to large tournaments because it gets way too serious. I've seen a 20 year old man flip a table because he lost a children's card game! Cheating and rule sharking are ridiculously common as well, so I now stick to locals.