Comic Book Trivia: Top 10 Facts About Superman

I might do this for other characters. I'm starting with Superman but I might make this a series of takes. Here we go:

10. He was originally written as a villain

In a story called The Reign of the Superman about a bald telepathic villain who gets his powers because a mad scientist experimented on him.

This idea got rejected and we got the Superman that we know.

9. He was the first DC character to break the fourth wall

There's an early 40's Superman story in which Clark has to get Lois out of the movie theater playing the Superman cartoon (which really was a show at the time) before his secret identity is revealed on-screen. Clark winks at the reader at the end of that one.

8. Superman couldn't always fly

When Superman first debuted during the golden age, his only powers were “Being faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound”. And the last one was only because earth had lesser gravity than Krypton, just like astronauts can jump higher on Moon.

7. He was once the most powerful character in his universe

I already said earlier that golden age Superman was nowhere as powerful as he is now, but then we have his silver age version. His feats include moving planets with his breath, accidentally destroying a solar system by sneezing, and flying at 40 trillion times the speed of light (yes, much faster than flash).

DC rebooted their universe after the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline and changed the power levels of many of their characters. It was only after this that characters like Kismet and the Presence were introduced.

6. There's a pink kryptonite which makes him gay

5. He's won every canon fight against Batman

Despite what some Batman fans claim, Batman has never won a canon fight against Superman.

Batman has won in comics like The Dark Knight Returns and maybe even Injustice, but they were all set in alternate universes. Batman's only canon victory might be in Endgame, but even that is debatable.

4. Superman is worthy of Thor's hammer

Marvel and DC had a crossover where he managed to lift it.

He failed to do it a second time though.

3. He learns stuff faster than (almost) anyone on Earth

People often underestimate his intelligence, but his brain can process information many times faster than a human brain.

Although Flash can think a lot faster than him, his memory is not as good as Superman's.

2. He's one of the best scientists on Earth

Going by feats, I personally feel he's second only to Lex Luthor. The tech that he's created is more advanced than anything that characters like Batman, Flash, and even Cyborg have made.

And let's not forget that the Hellbat armor that Batman used to fight Darkseid was forged by Superman in the sun. Or that he's managed to make an AI of himself.

1. He's the most iconic comic book superhero of all time

He was one of the first superheroes and he's indirectly the inspiration for the majority of the ones you see today. He's also the first character that a lot of people think of when they hear the word superhero.

I might end up doing this about another character if this gets enough views :)

LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 25

cool take

Most of these are common knowledge his brain can calculate faster the the supercomputer on their space station.

If you look at superman's most powerful form he is actually at that point the most powerful character ever created and quite literally impossible to kill he can even create his own realities, and has every power and superpower of the past, present and future. This happened when he broke the wall and obtained unlimited power.

10. Is kind of true but not really superman the hero and superman the villain have almost nothing in common at all so they're not really the same person or concept the only thing those 2 have in common in the name that's all.

Already knew the scientist part.

The batman thing is a no brainier.

1. Duh

Lol yeah there's all kinds of kyptonite that have weird affects on superman's people. Some are poisonous, some alter their minds, others de-power them, or even empower them etc.

Yeah most of these are pretty obvious for comic book fans but some people don't know about them. I've heard people say so many times that Batman always beats Superman, and people also underestimate his intelligence.

Are you talking about Cosmic Armor Superman btw? I'm familiar with his character but I

Yeah lol.

Yeah I think Cosmic Armor is his most powerful form that or Superman 1 million prime one of those two.

I have heard people saying it's childish to like superman. But I don't care. I have always liked him because he represented an ideal.

I would've included why kryptonite was introduced to begin with. It was for the Superman radio show so that the voice actors could get a break from recording. "oh no! Superman was weakened by kryptonite!" which would allow the dude to get some time off for an episode. That transferred to the comics from there.

Awesome take. I love Superman.

Oh I didn't know that. Interesting :)

I thought it was interesting too. I might do a take on Shazam and why he was so influencial in early comic book history too. A lot of people don't know that he was once the most popular hero in the 1940s and was incredibly influencial. He definitely fell to the wayside unfortunately.

Ah okay! Let me know if you do

He was defeated by Muhammad Ali in a boxing match...

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ermanVsMuhammadAli.jpg

I'm gonna have to do one of these about Lemon Witch soon. Yours are pretty good. But I'll keep to your format.

Nice take
    I didn't knew those facts till now

Basically, his silver age version had impossible powers:
    Moving planets with his breath - No one can breathe in Space because there is no atmosphere.
    Accidentally destroying a solar system by sneezing - The same thing, if Superman is in Space, he has to hold his breath, therefore... he can't possibly sneeze.
    Flying at 40 trillion times the speed of light - Impossible even for Star Trek ships with Transwarp engine, a single humanoid couldn't produce sufficient energy for such a speed.
    But I like the Take, very informative, keep it up, maybe you could make an article about He-Man & She-Ra and the Masters Of The Universe?

Yeah I agree. His silver age version was just ridiculous. I'm glad they nerfed him down now.
      I don't really know much about He-Man. I'm doing the characters that I know well enough first so I might do him later.

Yep, I agree, Superman version from Smallville was just about optimal.
      Ok, that would be great, thanks in advance :D

Hahaha, this one made me laugh, "there's a pink kryptonite which makes him gay", OMG, really? :P

Lol yes. There's also one which makes him evil

That would be red kryptonite, am I right?
      I know that green kryptonite kills him, and blue kryptonite takes away his power.

Yeah it's the red one :P

If you haven't seen those Max Fleischer Superman cartoons, you really need to check them out. Golden Age goodness.

Yeah I need to watch them too. I've seen a few clips but that's it

Do one on wolverine or hulk

awesome.. thanks

Nice :D Make one about Wolverine too.

I'll admitI've had learned not that long ago about him being the first 4th wall breaker of DCU.
    And I'll admit I wish I didn't know about the Pink Kryptonite.

Fan

tas

tic.

Eagerly awaiting the next.

Great post! For being the most iconic superhero of all time, he has actually been pretty underrated in pop culture recently, lol.

Superman rules.

I would say batman is superior but then Ben a fleck ruined him.

Yeah even I prefer Batman. But the only reason I didn't like Ben Affleck's Batman is because of what Snyder did with him. I think his performance was better than any of the previous live action actors. Although Kevin Conroy is still my favorite Batman

I agree. I liked Bale as Bruce Wayne. Not so much as Batman. What made the trilogy good was the writing.

And yes. Zack Snyder also expected people to know Jason is already dead in BvS (even though it wasn't stated anywhere in the movie)

Since I'm a comic book fan, I knew it as soon as I saw the Robin costume lol.

The executimes should has just went with a man of steel 2 first, introducing Luther and possibly Bruce Wayne as the main people rebuilding metropolis and also superman dealing with the consequences of his actions. More of a political drama than an action movie (soley my opinion, build the universe first like marvel did with Iron Man 1 and 2)

AND THEN you do a world's finest type deal lol

I think he sucks

When did Superman start wearing his underpants over his leggings and why?
    I hear he lost a bet. Which one?

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 6

lel some of those are pretty funny, interesting, and then what the hell. XD Mainly the what the hell part is about the pink kryptonite making him gay. :D

He was originally written as a villain? WoW, I never knew that, nice myTake :)

GREAT Take! =D But unfortunately it is my duty to troll u now (._.)

TEAM MARVEL BITCHEZ!!!

This is super cool!!! I had no idea about ANY of these things. I hope you do more of these!

Loved this myTake. <3

Great MyTake. Super informative :)