My Review of The Sims 3

I just play the Sims 3. I don't have any expansion packs for The Sims 3. I just play the base game, which seems to be changing every time I play. Before, there was no basement tool. Now, there is an instant basement tool. Before, there was no option to gain lifetime rewards points outside the actual simulation. Now, just before the actual simulation, there is an option to gain lifetime reward points: you just have to play hide-and-seek and find the hidden times. Below, I will give my review of The Sims 3.

My Review of The Sims 3

1. The Sims 3 Is A Frequently Updated Game

Almost every time I open the game, there will be new patches or updates. Sometimes, the patches/updates add interesting features that did not exist before. In addition to the basement tool and the mini game that allows earning lifetime rewards points, there is a function that can enable/disable expansion packs. Like I said, I don't have any expansion packs, but it's still nice to see that the game has the function to revert to a specific game configuration.

2. Gameplay Constantly Changes

Gameplay seems totally unpredictable. I think the game engine is based on layers of probability and conditions. There is no defined, structured way to play the game. I can just take a character, a Sim, anywhere, explore the whole town, and manipulate the Sim's every behavior with a click on the mouse. If I want the Sim to be the neighborhood loser, then I can do that, and there will be consequences. If I want the Sim to be rich and famous, then I can do that, and there will be consequences. The story-based nature of gameplay is strikingly appealing.

3. There Seems To Be A Bazillion Things To Do And Explore In The Game

Even though I don't have any expansion packs, there are so many things to do in the game that I really haven't explored yet. I haven't reached the top of any careers other than Law Enforcement. I haven't selected all the lifetime rewards. And I haven't used all the objects in the game, especially the fancier and expensive cars.

4. Characters Are Based On Traits, Not Stereotypes

Although it is possible to create a Sim based on a stereotype (too often I try to make a nerdy Sim), it is also possible to create an inexplicably complex character. I can create a Sim and give the Sim five traits. I prefer to select a trait from each category, including a weakness trait. So, it'll be interesting to see how the Sim will cope with the weakness and utilize its strengths. Also, I can see the quirky behaviors that are associated with particular traits.

5. Bonus SimPoints

When I registered the game in 2013, I got 500 free bonus SimPoints. I browsed the Sims 3 website for something to buy and didn't buy anything. But I did learn that I could earn even more bonus SimPoints by watching ads. So, I clicked and watched a lot of ads. Doing so a couple of times could quickly yield a small sum of 100 SimPoints, which was probably enough to buy a piece of hair or outfit. But I went further and gradually accrued hundreds of SimPoints until I could buy one of those big collection sets. Though, having the items in the catalog did not really mean that my Sims got to interact with them, because I usually just bought cheap catalog items for the Sims to interact with.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

I have Sims 3 I rarely play it though, I was hoping to make people really rich and fat in it but it never worked, I think they used end up poor ha ha

I think it's fairly easy to get rich in Sims 3. Get fat... another story. Sims can feel overstuffed, so I usually don't force so much food down their throats.

Ha ha, maybe I will just try the really rich bit :)

The best of the series. Sims 4 might be newer, and has better graphics but it lacks a lot of features Sims 3 contained.

TS4 is also constantly improving. And as a game, it is much more stable than 3, and crashes less. Yes, it does have certain key limitations that can get quite irritating. But as a whole, it's improving. If there were more neighborhoods in it, and each neighborhood could do a lot more, then I'd have no need to use Sims 3 for anything except action shots with characters in mid-air, since that's still not possible in 4.

just curious whats your specs?

Windows 10 Home
      Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70 GHz
      RAM 8 GB
      64-Bit Operating System

nice skylake whats your gpu?

I hate Sims. Every time, my sim wants to pee and he can't even cook food properly.

The Sims has become more and more for women in the past. I miss the old Sims where it was about ghost hunting, staying alive and getting rich as hell. Now it's just about relationships and "imagination".

I use it to make comic panels. The majority of concept art for "Camelorum Adventures" is made in Sims 4. And that's about a warden / mad scientist whose guinea pigs are superpowered convicts with quirky personalities, as they fight aliens and stop worlds from colliding into each other. And it's a sitcom. The city may think these girls are felons, but they're no worse than the 87 Ninja Turtles when you get down to it. (And just as silly.)

What Girls Said 10

Haha I used to love the Sims 3, had all the ep's and everything.
    I got the Sims 4, and while the graphics are better, it lacks the same special something TS3 had.

Agreed. I have to use Sims 4 for stuff now. TS3 requires a certain amount of horsepower and dedicated video to look good - and a certain amount of cooling fan power and hard drive durability. My 2-in-1 laptop doesn't have that. So Sims 3 looks bad and runs worse. Sims 4 works - sort of. But only because my laptop has the graphic for it and the game is optimized for laptop play.

My desktop tower, on the other hand, as of the infamous transgender patch for 4, can no longer play either game. The graphics chipset in my tower is simply too old to handle the graphics for either.

I guess I kinda deserve the lousy performance too. I keep trying to max the graphic out, and make concept art panels depicting superhero and apocalyptic settings. And I even reimagined Q-Basic Gorillas as a Michael Bay film. My hard drive finally shouted: "iNo mas! iNo mas!"

I was also finding more creative ways to torture my Sims than most players. Such as creating a story arc where - while the public still loves my superheroes - the government is infiltrated by the bad guys and then turns against the heroes, and half of them get sent to prison for a whole season while the other half have to fix everything. It was like Avengers meets Prison Break.

My hard drive just about puked with the logistical demands of depicting that on-screen. Especially when I started a sub-plot about how the children survive without their parents. (Sims 3 prisons can be huge. And you still only get 8 playables to a lot!)

@ObscuredBeyond Jeez that sounds intense haha.
      I liked doing all of those challenges like the 'generations challenge', 'black widow challenge' etc.

I only use sims for killing them all and then all coming back as ghosts.

I'm pretty sure that The Sims 3 doesn't get updated anymore. Last patch was 2 years ago.

I really like the Sims 3. I like it better than the Sims 4. I like that there are not a lot of loading screens. That is also what I don't like about the Sims 2.

I remember Sims 2 pre-Nightlife. Where there could be up to 6 loading screens just to get from one place to another. At least with 4, you only have one load screen when traveling between any two places.

@ObscuredBeyond Yeah, the Sims 2 was great but all these loading screens took forever! With 4, I missed a lot of aspects from the Sims 3... but I do like that the pregnancies are more "realistic".

Sims 3 is amazing, yeah it has issues thanks to EA's crappy game development but it beats sims 4 out the water. There's open world, cast, world editor, story progression... Toddlers and teenagers that are teenagers and not just a copy of the young adult stage. Sims 4 is just a huge disappointment.

There are tons of mods now to fix the teen issue. Including custom sliders. You can find some on MTS. (The one I like is now technically deprecated, but whatever.)

I can live without toddlers. Small price to pay. At least no more spider babies or BI-SWILS glitches! I miss moveobjects repositioning Sims themselves. I miss the old posing system. I miss the open world, and the World Editor. I don't mist CaSt that much. Nor do I miss Story Progression.

I do miss having 50 available lots and ability to custom-add more to the map. That was a huge design flaw in TS4: limiting the cast possibilities too much. Also, the no alternative universe structure blows. I can't keep my narratives separate from each other too easily. Gerosha characters and Cherinob characters are constantly invading each other's stage sets.

sims 3 seems to be better than sims 4... sims 4 looks more like sims 1

Sims 4 is actually designed to be Sims 2-1/2. It has better graphics than 3 upclose... but is stripped down dramatically. One of the most glaring differences is that 4 does not allow for hill and valley creation on lots.

@ObscuredBeyond and also they cut toddlers... from a baby to child... not funny

I think that's Sims 1 style.

My daughters play the Sims Medieval, fun game.

I use to love Sims 3 but now I have Sims 4 and the graphics are much better although you can't explore the world like you can in Sims 3. Custom content is my weakness, I love designing awesome houses and trying to replicate buildings. Currently doing the 100 baby challenge, tricky stuff.

I have all the expansions and until mid 2014 I had EVERYTHING from the store. I haven't played since last year sometime.

I was addicted to this game for a time. I try to be versatile but I always end up making a rich family of vampires with lots of kids and then let the kids inherit the house and marry them all off to have their own kids in other houses. I made one of my twin boys become a serious fornicator. He has like eight kids by four different women before I finally let him marry one. The other son knocked up three girls. Meanwhile their vampire parents had four more children in their retirement home.

Basically, I'm filling the town with relatives.