5 Reasons Why You Should Not Take Your Date To The Movies

1. Cost of the Tickets

Where I live, there are 2 movie theaters. One is the fancy movie theater and has new movie releases all the time. The other is the cheap movie theater and has relatively old movie releases. Adult tickets at the fancy movie theater are close to $10, while adult tickets at the cheap movie theater are under $5. With some patience, the cheap movie theater may acquire newer movies, and so it really pays off to visit the cheap movie theater consistently. Alternatively, the most economical option is to wait for the library to purchase the product. Many times, libraries will purchase the movies and put them in circulation, making the movies free for all patrons.

2. Cost of the Food

The food is ridiculously overpriced in the movie theaters. But if you want to buy food in the movie theater, then it's actually more economical to purchase the popcorn and share the popcorn bag with your friends, family, or date than to buy a single meal for yourself.

3. Empty-Calorie Food

Most of the food products in movie theaters are high in calories and low in nutrients. Popcorn, hot dog, fried chicken, soda pop, French fries, candy, and the like. If you want to have something to munch on while watching the movie, then you should bring a piece of fruit that does not make too much noise. A crispy apple will produce a crunchy sound, but an orange is much quieter. You may bring a water bottle too, or you may drink from the water fountain. The water is usually free in the movie theater and placed next to the bathrooms.

4. Netflix 'n' Chill

Instead of going to the movie theater, you may watch a movie on Netflix at home and chill in the literal sense of the phrase.

5. Show your Date how Frugal you are

You know you have no money to go on a date. So, you invite your date to your home and make the best of it. Obviously, you don't invite a stranger to your house. You get to know that person well enough to the point that you feel comfortable to invite that person to your house, have a party, or go on a private date. Frugality is a valuable skill to have in the modern world, and if your date knows how frugal you are, your date will know that you are very good with handling money. A person who lives below his means will save big and have enough to provide for a future.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 17

A blowjob in a theater seat is worth the price of admission!

Movies are shit.
    Can't talk/get to know them. You 'waste' 1-3 hours of sitting in silence not saying a word. Also spend money and don't say a word to each other. Walking around even would be better because you can at least converse.

6. Movies are a terrible place to get to know someone. You can't talk which is what dating is all about.

Glad I don't live where you live. My local theater, although small and only shows 6 shows max, it's all first run movies and forenoon tickets are $2.50, afternoon is $4 and late evening is $5. Large drink is $1.75 with 75 cent refills, which I never refill since a large drink is a lot of pop for 2 hrs. A large popcorn is $3. and most all other snacks are between 1-3 bucks but I'm not sure for each since I only get popcorn and pop. I remember I went to a big city 10 years ago and tickets for 12 clock were 9 bucks and a small pop was $4 and a small popcorn was $6. I decided to not get anything and just bought the ticket. And decided to never go to a big city theater again. And the decor on the inside and the seating wasn't any better. The only "big city" theater I will ever go to, one that I think is worth the cost of admission and price of food is the alamo drafthouse. Outside of that, I'm sticking to my local theater.

I do agree that staying in is much nicer. And you can talk to each other and if the movie you're watching ends up being a bit boring you are at least in the privacy if your own home to cuddle and talk.

#5 is a bad thing in the US especially in CA. Over here it's considered rude and makes you look like an asshole if you try to be frugal on a date.

I disagree strongly. If you both like each other and both have a lot of interest in the movie then why not? Plus I love going to dates and cuddling to horror movies, especially if the girl is into them.

However points 1-3 would remain the same even if it wasn't as a date.

I would love a woman like this! Especially lately, practically all the new movies just suck so much! Unfortunately most women seem to have a need to go "out" all the time or they get "bored."

I would enjoy netflix and chill more than the cinema if we had understanding flatmates or a house to ourselves but not if we both live with parents then if cost wasn't a factor i'd rather be out of the house and if we wanted to take it further rent a travelodge for the night.
    I have a number of free tickets from a promotion on something else so the first one isn't a problem for the 2nd, 3rd and 5th it's generally frowned upon and they can kick you out or refuse entry at their discretion but it's not illegal to take sandwiches and a drink to the theater.
    I drive so would have to pay for parking and petrol so it wouldn't be free but if you wanted to take it further i'd rather not be in the same house as my or your parents and splash out £40 on a cheap room somewhere or wait till they where out of the house.

i can't go to the theatre with girls many couples use them for sex
    the movies are subbed or dubbed french
    she will think i m gonna drug her :p

Around here we would be lucky to see 10 dollar movies. Even the drive-in is expensive. Used to be a lot of them around, now the only one around is over twenty miles from the nearest major city, and they charge 8 dollars per person. No carload pricing.

Redbox is $1.50 per DVD, $2.00 for Bluray. And the snack bar in my living room is so much cheaper.

Well... I live in Turkey 😂 If i try to invite my date to my home instead of a movie i would get slapped hard on my face...

Where I live if you go before 6pm movies are $6

Gold diggers be like " wow? This is your idea for a date. Oh sorry my mom called."

Nice take and sensible - Many guys would appreciate thinking like that

I dont do movie theaters personally.. Now the drive in Heck yeah,, Especially for 8 dollar car load night. I can take my wife, have dinner there, and i can even bring alcohol. Plus admittance includes 3 movies, and the power to stay in the comfort of your car.

People buy food from cinemas have you not heard of smuggling them in? Also if I don't think being frugal (a. k. a cheapskate) is gonna come off very attractive they don't seem pleased when you don't buy their ticket (that's my limited experience anyway and it doesn't start things off well) so why would saying fuck that movie you wanted to watch just come over and watch something else.

What Girls Said 9

Honestly, I like watching movies at home a lot more than in the cinema - you can pause whenever you want and it's mostly free...
    And you can get yourself some chicken or carrots... instead of a stick of butter and some deep fried corn. o. O

BUT - if he's someone I don't know that well... the movies is a good option - after the coffee date - where you chat and get to know one another. No sane person is going to go to anothers' apartment and risk getting murdered or raped. And certainly no one would be inviting anyone to their place. That's madness.

This is so dumb. I didn't know that American was so cheap with their money... Going to movie is not expensive at all, it's one of the more cheap date you can find (it's generally where High school boy bring their girlfriend for a date)

my first date was in the movies, I like it, best place to kiss someone when you are shy

I hadn't been to the movies in years, I always just watched everything on one of those free sites. Last year, I went on a date and we went to the movies after me not going for so many years... I picked it because it was always just a cheap relaxed thing to do, I couldn't believe the prices, I had to drop him some money for my half because I felt terrible spending all that on a first date. And the one near me is way more expensive than yiu mentioned yours is.

I love going to the movies so if the guy I'm seeing isn't, we're not right for each other.

Wow those prices are terrible, here a decent theater is only 3$ worth, a high class one is worth 5$ and the overkill ones with the massaging recliners and free food/drinks are just under 10$, all if them also get the latest movies, the theaters where you live must be ripping you off or something..

As for food its not worth it to buy it from the theater because its always overpriced but almost all of them also have a couple of restaurants and cafes just outside, since of them are inside malls its easy, cheaper and convenient compared to food just 20 steps into the mall, the proximity is so close its laughable

My boyfriend and I go to the movies all the time, but we work there so we get drinks, popcorn and tickets for free plus every employee can bring two guests so if we want to do a group thing with friends it's no issue.

Sorry but I love going to the movie theater. Going to his place or mine just sets up the question of sex.

Ummm... ok. Good luck!