5 Reasons Why Fan Fiction Never Works

Why Fan Fiction Never Works

Aside from the fact that it's a given people who write fan fiction aren't as experienced nor as talented as the people who wrote the actual real, original stories...there are some points which make fan fiction superfluous.

1. The Fan Writer doesn't know ALL that's going on behind the scenes, behind the story told, hence he/she can never know the exact direction where to take the story next.

2. For the same reason, a Fan Writer can never fully understand the characters within the story. This, as you can already guess, makes his character development always at least a bit off.

3. It can, oftentimes, ruin your view of the original works you loved and cherished.

4. The pure existence of thinking that a Fan Writer CAN continue the story, that he, apparently, disagrees with what the author considered to be the ending to his/her work ... is almost always disrespectful.

5. It's never the same! Never as brilliant, never as unpredictable, never as relatable.

P.S.

Next time, try some real, original work!

You might surprise yourself!

LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

here's my problem with fan fiction coming from an animation geek who is a part of several fandoms.

1. Some of it is very taboo and sexual
    2. It ruins the whole image of the fandom or show
    3. It can be disrespectful to the creators, actors, characters, fans, and even other fandoms.
    4. The conspiracy theories are disrespectful as well.

Not all fandom members are bad, but there are ones who go a little batshit crazy sometimes.

ih1.redbubble.net/.../flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg
    A̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶f̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶e̶m̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶!̶
    There are some really great fanfics out there!
    Though to be fair, I've never read any fanfics based on books. Maybe you're just looking in the wrong place. :/

I wouldn't say never, but in most cases you are right, more than 70% of fan-fictions are really bad.

Isn't what's going on in Game of Thrones now fan fiction? I heard the author is letting the writer of the show just end the book series.

Is that true? I was under the impression the author is workign with them and telling them what's going to happen next...

Not that I'm aware of. They supposedly changed part of the story at one point and now are going in their own direction. Apparently the next book in the series won't be out for another year if he ever finishes.

Lol, I didn't even know there was such a thing as continuing stories.

fan fic·tion
    noun: fanfiction
    A lousy attempt at being creative by someone who doesn't have the capacity to make their own shit.

Seriously though, if you're going to write something altering a story to fit your fantasies about what that story should be, just make your own stuff. Jeeze.

I must admit I do like some fanfiction - Okay I admit some of it is terrible but there are some good writers who can do good character development - I actually can isolate the stories as opposed to the fiction of the original work - I like when someone explores a favoured romance or friendship of mine or even pursues a romance or friendship I would have like to have seen that said I usually stay within personal stories that are written as stand alones

That's literally why it's called fan fiction. To continue a story that is completed and to some, feel unfinished. The 1 thing I hate about great movies is that I always want more of that story. That's what fan fiction supplies

It doesn't matter what the character is actually thinking or feeling (which is an irrelevant and arbitrary statement given that they aren't real and have no actual thought). It's what fans would be interested in as a byproduct or continuation of the story

It's not disrespectful or ruin cause it's its own universe and a person can just as easily not read the fan fiction. It's not like it's superimposing itself in the work, like, say, lion king 1 1/2 (damn straight I made that reference). The creator/author is telling a story of a specific person and instance... Literally anything could happen after... Does lord of the rings ring a bell?

50 Shades of Grey was originally a Twillight Fan Fic

What Girls Said 3

Agree with #1 and #2. I only enjoy fanfiction when it fits the tone of the original story and everyone is in character. But that's pretty much never the case.

#3 is sometimes true.

#4 is BS. The entire point if fanfiction it is that people want to write how the story would have gone from their POV. It's supposed to be separate from the original.

#5 is debatable.

I do not write fan fiction but its really not that serious as your mytake is making it out to be. That's why it called fan fiction, it allows fans to make up their own stories based on the way they want the story to go. I never read fan fiction expecting some masterpiece. I read a marvel fanfic and it never ruined my view of the original works. There are a lot of authors who love fanfic so I disagree with #4 because just because someone writes a fanfic, does not mean they disagree with it.

I completely disagree. Yes, many fanfictions are awful, but so are a lot of movies, books, games, so on. I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem Fates, but the story was awful, no denying it. I've read fanfiction rewrites, and they improve it by 100 fold, removing plot holes, improving characters, so on. Also look at Star Wars. The entire expanded universe is essentially fanfiction, and until Disney came in, was considered canon. Original works are not always perfect, nor are they sacred in their original form.