Stop Bashing Nicki Minaj

I read all the time that people think Nicki is talentless, useless, shallow, not a role model, a "slut/whore" who dresses inappropriately etc.

So I figured I might as well educate you people on why Nicki Minaj is great in many ways, and that even if you don't like her music, there's no reason to hate on her as a person.

1. She encourages young people to stay in school. All the time.

2. She has some great, empowering values.

3. She isn't selfish and cares about others.

When her dress ripped at the VMA's, she was more concerned over the fact that it took away from Jessie J's performance. She didn't care that her dress ripped, on stage, in front of so many people. She didn't care that that can be hella embarrassing on its own. She cared more about the fact that it was unprofessional and that she felt like it ruined the performance.

She loves her BFF Beyoncé and made a pretty goofy music video with her.

She had a rough upbringing, especially because of her father and his abuse and addictions. When she was young, she wanted to do everything she could to help her mom.

When I first came to America, I would go in my room and and kneel down at the foot of my bed and pray that God would make me rich so that I could take care of my mother.

4. She has managed to survive and make a name for herself in an industry that's male dominated.

So before you bash her because you don't like the way she looks, the way she dresses, or the way she raps or sings, or that you think she's a waste of space and talentless. Then please remind yourself of the fact that she made something of herself even though her past isn't the best. She pushes herself and is passionate about hard work. She encourages young people to stay in school and get an education, before pursuing their dreams. She takes care of her friends, family and co-workers, and puts them first. She wants to empower women by showing them that you can be both sexy and a hard working queen. That Girl Love is important. That confidence is important. That you shouldn't let anyone stand in your way because of stereotypes, racism, sexism and discrimination.
Just because she pushes boundaries, dresses provocatively and says provocative things, it doesn't mean she can't be a good role model too.

3250

Most Helpful Guy

• Just no. No. Even crime lords like Pablo Escobar 'donated' tons to public services and encouraged kids to go to school and attend church. Does that make him an ideal role model?
    Just about anyone can make a goodwill speech, and not everyone who rises from poverty can share that empathy with the unfortunate.
    Not saying what she does is wrong, but she's far from a role model. And some of the criticism is genuine. And like most male rappers, she is overrated.

• I think comparing her to crime lords when she's done nothing like that is an over-exaggeration and quite offensive tbh.

• 👏👏👏 said far better than I ever could've

• Have to agree with you on this one Chief.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan of her music but I don't dislike her as a person.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 49

• Kind of moronic to encourage people to stay in school and let their hard work pay off when you change your ass, boobs beyond their recognition and then use them to sell your "music".

• How do you know she didn't do that for herself? Why do you automatically assume she did it for attention? And wtf does that have anything to do with telling people to stay in school? There's literally no correlation? Why aren't people allowed to change their appearance?

• People are allowed to change their appearance - but that doesn't make it any less vain.

• Only in GAG you'll see a Take praising Nicki Minaj... tsk tsk
    xD

Sorry but no... just no.

• Yeah, fuck education and confidence, right?

• You should be confident. If school will help yr career, you should also stay in school.

You should ALSO do absolutely everything you can to make yourself as hot as you can make yourself. Because duh... What's on the outside DOES count. It would be colossally stupid to pretend that it doesn't.

None of this is self-contradictory. What the fuck? Are you actually trying to say that "Make yourself hot" undermines an appeal to confidence and education?
      Srsly?
      Are you one of those guys who couldn't take an educated woman seriously if (God forbid) she also happened to be hot?

• @redeyemindtricks What... are you talking about? XD
      There's a difference between getting hot by working out, and getting hot by paying a plastic surgeon, and I'm really not just talking about the looks.

xD

• i must be old for do not even know who 'Nicki Minaj' is

• She needs to lead by example... which she FAILS!

- She steals off other artists (e. g. little kim, mariah carey)
    - Slutty and outrageously over-sexualized behavior
    - DIRTY lyrics

Check out the video below. How many mothers and fathers want their little girls to idolize Nicki Minaj? Ask yourselves, how do you think these little girls going to behave when they become teenagers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9573kGBtuE

• I don't stay as up on current music, but I know a lot of the songs, I just don't have time to know about the artists' public personas and get involved in loving or hating them.

I think she's a pretty decent rapper, she's on a few guest verses on some songs I listen to. I don't know a lot of her individual work that might be more "pop" and less palatable to me. I don't know, though, I think she's pretty good. Between her and Miley Cyrus, I don't know why they get so much hate. In Miley's case, I only know grown-up Miley, so maybe some people are mad that she used to be a child actress or something? Not sure why that makes anyone mad, but whatever. Maybe people think both of them are try-hards? But like Joe Budden said "how can I stay anonymous when it's my job to be famous?" Both these women, and many others, are just playing "the game." A celebrity's number one priority is to keep their name in our mouths and staying relevant.

Overall though, I think Nicki has a good flow and persona, and she's not too hard to look at either👍
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hurKpC8Fghttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hurKpC8Fg

• "she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe she a stupid hoe" yeah... sure

• Lmao www.goforthbesocial.com/.../...dstaff-1019_606.jpg
    I went outside of my closet just for this take.
    "stay in school"
    plenty of morons have said it, just because another one somehow makes it like she is somehow better? Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, even fuckin ICP.
    "she shows young girls confidence."
    Why. Just how is it confident to walk around like a slut? Its fucking annoying to see some broad acting like they are hot shit when i can walk up to them, make fun and watch them break down. The worst part is, they fuck me afterwards... that ain't confidence lmao, thats known as benign neglect from their parents and a false reality spreaded to them by figure heads like nicki minaj. The feminist values of this take is so fucking cringy.

• She is certainly for empowering women.
    "FUCK THEM SKINNY BITCHES!"

• Yeah because one sentence like that completely invalidates everything else she has ever said about female empowerment? I'm skinny myself and I wasn't a fan of that sentence in particular but I'm not gonna sit here and act as though that's the only sentence that she has said that matters.

• So if I talk about how I support reducing the gender pay gap, helping to increase women in the sciences, and support paid child leave but I say, "The best position for a woman to be is on her knees.", I'm totally cool right? Nothing I said was invalidated and I still stand for empowering women right?

• You're cool as long as you mean it as a joke, you're not doing it at a tactless timing and it's not coming from a genuine place of misogyny.

• www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

I don't know Nicki Ninaj and I don't listen to her music. But I really cringe at the hate many celebrities get for any real good reasons. It seems to me that hating on celebrities is simply a social and cultural fad that people on the bandwagon for and people hate for the sake of hating. Many reasons people give don't really justify the hate of a specific individual.

• this just screams

Leave Brittany ALONEEEEE

• Yeah. Leave her the fuck alone.

• I hate people that just like to hate (I know super ironic and hypocritical)

It's like when people just hate on something that's popular to hate I think to myself how I dislike this person more than I dislike the person they hate because they won't shut up about them.

Personally I'm definitely not a fan of Nicki Minaj. But I'm not saying her music is bad or anything about her. I just don't like the genre. I know nothing about her other than gossip others say about her. Same with a bunch of other celebrities. And I always think "why do you care in the slightest?" and people get so offended when I ask that question yet they can never come up with an answer.

Long story short people just like to gossip about more popular people. Most likely some psychoanalytical explanation for all the possible reasons why.

• Its just sad how many people take the easy way out of things and just generalize with no proof as to why they do it.

• Her music sucks and promotes bad things for young girls

• I'm pretty sure her targeted demographic isn't even young girls to begin with, so your point is irrelevant.

• Yes because older ladies love Nikki Minaj
      Of course her target demographic is girls 14-24 young ladies.

• Rule #1 of fame.
    A lot of people who are famous for music are fake and be fake to make music sell. Anyone can make public speeches about being for this and being for that, but what matters is if they're serious about it or not. Most likely it's just a stupid and ridiculous PR stunt because they know a lot of females will buy her music so that's where a lot of the PR is focused to.

Now am I saying all famous people do this? Nope, actually a lot of famous people donate to charity, give their time to important causes like what Akon did in Africa. Until I see her actually put her time into something important, she's pretty much just like the rest. All talk and no actions.

Unless she's actually done any of these things I have said? Then I would take this back but I haven't heard of anything.

• nicki minaj sucks ass and is a terrible role model. No one should look up to some gold digging, plastic bitch like her.

• Thanks for proving my point.

• Since when is sex a bad thing?

• ok so there's nothing wrong with promoting the occult? there is a reason everyone bashes her.

Also, she didn't make a name for herself, her career and name was made by the industry. She is a slave, who else better to adore a slave than someone with a BDSM photo.

• http://youtu.be/LDZX4ooRsWs
    This is the only reason I need to be able to bash her.

• Anyone can look good in the public eye. Her true personality shows when she got all rachet and ghetto at miley cyrus lol. Seriously people say things to sound good... things they don't really care about.

• She didn't get "ratchet" and "ghetto" at Miley Cyrus. If anything Miley was the ratchet one for complaining about Nicki to the press. Miley literally complained about Nicki highlighting some racist issues, and had all the right to be mad at her.
      You perpetuation of racist stereotypes is unwanted. Bye.

• Her music sucks

End of story

• And that had absolutely nothing to do with this take.

• Ok

Her music still sucks.

• Still has nothing to do with this take.

• I don't disrespect her, I just don't care for her music, because as loud of an advocate for self-betterment her words may be, her music speaks louder, and it always pits women as "bitches and hoes", like much of the hip-hop genre does. Even if she just does it because it sells, it nonetheless is promoting the message.

• What I don't like about Nicki Minaj is what her career trajectory says about us as a society.

This is her early on in her career:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/w56UQK7QpBw/hqdefault.jpg

The fact that she had to dress like a bimbo just to get her career off the ground is a terrible reflection of today's values. We can't hate Nicki Minaj, we made her.

• Eh. I feel exactly the same way about guys who are rocker types at heart, but who got "respectable" haircuts and started wearing starchy suits to get THEIR careers off the ground in fields like finance or law.

In fact, if you don't feel MORE strongly about those guys than about Nicki, you're basically a hypocrite.
      Because those guys are DEFINITELY sellouts. We don't know whether Nicki is a sellout or whether she's just having a bunch of fun.

• @redeyemindtricks Don't worry. I 100% agree with you on that one.

• More from Guys
    29

What Girls Said 31

• I just don't like that genre of music and how she seems to be.

• True confidence is someone that doesn't need to promote a body image that is unrealistic. True confidence is also from someone that doesn't need plastic surgery on almost every inch of their body, lace front wigs, piled on make up, to "show that is what sexy is looks like".
    Also, being that Nicki is a modern rapper she had many influences such as little Kim (that is the person that deserves all of the clapping for being in a male dominated industry) little Kim, is who opened the doors for female artists like her lets not forget that.

• quite frankly i dislike almost every celebrity in the music industry, most of the songs i hear nowadays are killing my brain cells, but that doesn't mean i dislike Pop, Rap, Rock, RnB or any of the other kinds of music, they were really good once, now most of them are crappy

i've lots of respect for the ones who made great songs but i'm not gonna sugar coat and gloss over all the bad ones or be a "blind as f*q" fan-girl about it, i don't care if they're celebrities or if they say or act like good people, because its all just an act, nobody wants to be the next justin beiber or kanye west.

• Honestly, I didn't consider myself a Nicki Manage fan, didn't know much about her other than her eccentric style and sexuality in the media really. I wasn't even expecting to like this take, but I did. I now have more respect for this woman. Not that I didn't before, as I didn't know her, but I see her in a much different light.

• "That Girl Love is important."

That's why she said "fuck skinny bitches", meanwhile more women search for how to get a bigger butt than to make their butts smaller[1], and contributing to the fact that butt implants are the highest rising plastic surgery[2], thus contributing to the profit of old white men in the beauty industry who make money off of women's insecurities, so that they can continue to do so.

[1] www.nytimes.com/.../...witz-searching-for-sex.html
    [2] www.counselheal.com/.../...-rising-study-finds.htm

Also, who cares about the fact that many skinny women are that way due to anorexia, right? Just contribute to making them feel worse about their bodies.

You can lift up one group of women without putting another group of women down.

Also...

"If you got a big ol' butt, shake it." What if a woman doesn't WANT to shake her butt?

& Also Nicki Minaj's song Only.

- Chris Brown, an abuser of women, is one of the rappers in the song. She willingly worked with a woman-abuser.
    - Drake proudly objectifies Nicki in such a way that teen boys hearing the song are gonna think it’s cool to talk about women like that (”she was sitting down on that big butt but i was still staring at the tittttties thoughhh!”)
    - over-emphasis on the sexual desirability of having large breasts (if you’re one of those people saying that women haven’t been pressured to have big breasts for several decades now, then you literally live under a rock)
    - Referring to women as “bitches”

• Nearly every song she needs to rap about her coochie, booty, or boobies. She needs to degrade herself and other women down to their body parts as if that's their only worth. She's a woman with insecurities, very low self esteem and low self worth. She's the type of hoe to demand respect in spite of all the foul things she's done in that past since now she's "successful." Let's also not forget the fact that she's a complete rip off of another rap ho, little Kim. Bad people can do good things and good people can do bad things. Just because she has some favorable ideas about things doesn't mean she's a proper role model. Also, image is everything. Anyone can say they stand for one thing and not care about it.

• What's more concerning is the fact that you think a woman's worth is based on body parts, and that a woman can't be secure and confident if she shows skin or talks/raps/sings dirty. Also the assumption that you know exactly how she feels about herself.
      When regular people talk about their struggles and road to success, people congratulate them and feel proud of them. Yet when a celebrity like Nicki Minaj does it you mean that it must be a publicity stunt and just for the sake of their image? What a sad view on humans honestly.

• Sigh. I don't have time for people who think self-respect has anything to do with clothes. Sorry.

• Clothes are a reflection of the kind of value you place on yourself. Nonetheless, your opinion of me has absolutely no value in my eyes and zero affect on my life. Just like nobody else's opinion on someone who doesn't even know you're alive should have zero affect or value in your eyes. She might be a role model to you, but she definitely doesn't have to be a role model to anyone else. Her being someone you might personally look up to doesn't mean she's special in terms of criticism, insults, or anything negative.

• She's also a great rapper! (Autotune). Whoa who wrote that there? She also has some great ASSets so she's set.

• I love this <3 Her music isn't my kind of thing but I adore her as a person. Love how most of the comments on this take are just proving your point.

• Personally, I'd trade her for any of the musicians I love that have died. I much prefer Mitch Licker or The Rev over Nicki Minaj, because both of them are extremely talented people who knew how to play an instrument or scream (doesn't sound that hard but it's really tricky to scream.)

I dislike how much emphasis she puts on being provocative. She sang Anaconda, for the love of God, and spends most of her time wearing provocative clothing and twerking because that's what attract people to her. Maybe she has one or two good songs, I think that's more luck than anything

• I'm gonna be honest here. She strikes me as incredibly fake. She talks the talk, but does she walk the walk? Or is it all PR? A lot of pop icons talk about common topics that we can all agree are good, but do they act on them? Probably not.

Before someone tells me "not all celebrities are like that!" you're right, not all celebrities/bands are like that. Austin Carlile, of Of Mice and Men, talks about his experience with Marfan syndrome, and encourages anyone who thinks they or a loved one might have it to get tested for it. Pete Wentz, of Fall Out Boy, is majorly into foundations like the Jeb foundation (a mental health organization, with the main goal of preventing suicide among university kids) and the entire band is very involved with UNICEF, and Andy Biersack, of Black Veil Brides, is majorly involved with anti-bullying campaigns and gay rights.

• Pete Wentz (FOB) is bisexual and has struggled with bipolar depression and suicidal thoughts, which lead him to attempt suicide in 2003; now he has a successful career, a loving girlfriend, and two adorable kids. Patrick Stump (also FOB) has struggled with his weight, and didn't think he would make it to 21 without killing himself; he's still here, with a beautiful wife, a kid, and another one of the way. Vic Fuentes (Pierce the Veil) was bullied in school and self harmed when he was a teenager, and he still has the scars on his wrists; he stopped because his little brother looked up to him and he didn't want to see him go down the same road, and he continues to this day to talk about self-harm and how to get help, and writes about topics a lot of people relate to, such as losing friends to suicide. Tyler Joseph (TOP) deals with depression and suicidal thoughts; he writes incredibly moving and raw music (such as Migraine and Car Radio) about dealing with his demons.

• A lot of the bands in the alt scene are way better role models, I'm sorry if that offends you but it's true. Hell, the biggest gathering of them all, Warped Tour, has so much activism, whether it be PETA, mental health organizations, ending the stigma against piercings and tattoos, or some other organization, you can find a activism booth simply by walking ten paces. It doesn't take hard work to get implants, dress provacatively, and twerk, anyone could do that. She doesn't write much of her own music (the beat or the words), google can back me up on that, and even if she did write some of the lyrics, it shouldn't take five other writers and softcore porn for videos to make people want to watch you if you're truly talented. It's true her past was bad, a lot of people have bad pasts, but that itself doesn't make her a good role model.

• For starters the best way for a woman to advance careerwise is to go into a male dominated profession rather than professions dominated by women. Who really is hating on her yes she's a positive role model at times but that doesn't mean I think 13 year old girls should dress like her, buy her music, go to her shows or listen to the lyrics in her songs. At the end of the day whether its Rhianna, Beyonce, Swift, Iggy. Adrianna or the rest of them all your seeing is carefully sculpted image that doesn't represent who they are good or bad, every story you read or watch is put out there by the Music industry who know the more controversial the better. Nikki Minaj comes off the pop factory conveyer belt, guarantee there is another right behind ready to take her place bug thats show business.

• Very nice mytake.
    Yes, I agree. I never knew all of these things about her, but I could tell she's a lot more than what just her lyrics would suggest. She's a lot more.
    Now it makes sense.

• <3 this! I think people bash because it's cool to bash.

• I don't hate her nor do I like her. As for a role model I will definitely not follow her. Her music is very inappropriate in my personal opinion and lately a lot of girls are beginning to copy her dance moves which shows a lack of respect.

• Respect has nothing to do with dance moves.

• Yes, it does... The only thing that is getting her respect is fame, if she didn't have it I can guarantee you nobody will respect her, which correlates with lack of self-respect. Observe any normal girl who dances like her and please tell me what kind of result she has to live with

• I do like her-I also love the direction her style and music is going, she's evolving as an artist, and she is number 1, and she deserves it.

• i think she's cool especially her family values.

about the dress ripping thing (didn't know about it until now) how do we know what she really cared about? she just said that. only we know what's in our minds. we can always choose to say or act a certain way.

• Nice Take

• I am not a fan of Nicki Minaj, and I never have been. We could be in the same store together, and while others are greeting her, I would honestly just walk past. I don't think she is a good role model. I have heard some of her songs. There is cussing, and a lot of bad words, which I am personally not comfortable with. I don't look up to her.

Anyway, well done on your take. I see you worked hard on it. It was interesting to read. 😊

• Honestly, same can be said about most celebrities... that they receive unnecessary or out of proportion bashing. It just comes with the territory, the common folks are becoming critics. I wouldn't mind it too much, because regardless, she is very successful which means many don't feel that way about her.

• still so what? I can be a real bad role model regardless. I mean she uses phrases like ''f*ck'' ''b*tch'' or ''p*ssy'' all the time, all the words she says don't have any value because she just keeps presenting herself like she doesn't care about any of that. Sorry but i may like some songs but i think she's pretty f*cked up

• Thank you for making this take. I absolutely adore Nicki and it's got very little to do with her music. She's a good role model for a lot of people, who cares if she dresses sexy? Why can't you be a boss ass bitch and dress sexy? Love her.

• More from Girls
    11