Stop Bashing Nicki Minaj

I read all the time that people think Nicki is talentless, useless, shallow, not a role model, a "slut/whore" who dresses inappropriately etc.

So I figured I might as well educate you people on why Nicki Minaj is great in many ways, and that even if you don't like her music, there's no reason to hate on her as a person.

1. She encourages young people to stay in school. All the time.

2. She has some great, empowering values.

3. She isn't selfish and cares about others.

When her dress ripped at the VMA's, she was more concerned over the fact that it took away from Jessie J's performance. She didn't care that her dress ripped, on stage, in front of so many people. She didn't care that that can be hella embarrassing on its own. She cared more about the fact that it was unprofessional and that she felt like it ruined the performance.

She loves her BFF Beyoncé and made a pretty goofy music video with her.

She had a rough upbringing, especially because of her father and his abuse and addictions. When she was young, she wanted to do everything she could to help her mom.

When I first came to America, I would go in my room and and kneel down at the foot of my bed and pray that God would make me rich so that I could take care of my mother.

4. She has managed to survive and make a name for herself in an industry that's male dominated.

So before you bash her because you don't like the way she looks, the way she dresses, or the way she raps or sings, or that you think she's a waste of space and talentless. Then please remind yourself of the fact that she made something of herself even though her past isn't the best. She pushes herself and is passionate about hard work. She encourages young people to stay in school and get an education, before pursuing their dreams. She takes care of her friends, family and co-workers, and puts them first. She wants to empower women by showing them that you can be both sexy and a hard working queen. That Girl Love is important. That confidence is important. That you shouldn't let anyone stand in your way because of stereotypes, racism, sexism and discrimination.
Just because she pushes boundaries, dresses provocatively and says provocative things, it doesn't mean she can't be a good role model too.

lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 50

Rule #1 of fame.
    A lot of people who are famous for music are fake and be fake to make music sell. Anyone can make public speeches about being for this and being for that, but what matters is if they're serious about it or not. Most likely it's just a stupid and ridiculous PR stunt because they know a lot of females will buy her music so that's where a lot of the PR is focused to.

Now am I saying all famous people do this? Nope, actually a lot of famous people donate to charity, give their time to important causes like what Akon did in Africa. Until I see her actually put her time into something important, she's pretty much just like the rest. All talk and no actions.

Unless she's actually done any of these things I have said? Then I would take this back but I haven't heard of anything.

i must be old for do not even know who 'Nicki Minaj' is

Just no. No. Even crime lords like Pablo Escobar 'donated' tons to public services and encouraged kids to go to school and attend church. Does that make him an ideal role model?
    Just about anyone can make a goodwill speech, and not everyone who rises from poverty can share that empathy with the unfortunate.
    Not saying what she does is wrong, but she's far from a role model. And some of the criticism is genuine. And like most male rappers, she is overrated.

I think comparing her to crime lords when she's done nothing like that is an over-exaggeration and quite offensive tbh.

👏👏👏 said far better than I ever could've

Have to agree with you on this one Chief.

Nikki Minaj is definitely talented and intelligent, but some people think that "intelligent" people can't have fun and appeal to the masses.

Nah man because she dresses a certain way and raps about certain things she simply cannot be a good person, that's impossible. It's a publicity stunt and she can't mean the things she says because she's a celebrity and celebrities lie like all the time. They can't make goofy or pointless videos. I need serious and modest videos 24/7 playing on the TV in my bedroom. I'm so offended and so is my husband Robert and our chihuahua Scarlett III. I can only have sex with the lights off.

Love the sarcasm-drenched comment! :)

Too many people don't understand that hip-hop is satire, and is meant to be entertaining. The hip hop artists don't really do all that shit they say in their music. We are wise enough to know that. :)

Only in GAG you'll see a Take praising Nicki Minaj... tsk tsk
    xD

Sorry but no... just no.

Yeah, fuck education and confidence, right?

You should be confident. If school will help yr career, you should also stay in school.

You should ALSO do absolutely everything you can to make yourself as hot as you can make yourself. Because duh... What's on the outside DOES count. It would be colossally stupid to pretend that it doesn't.

None of this is self-contradictory. What the fuck? Are you actually trying to say that "Make yourself hot" undermines an appeal to confidence and education?
      Srsly?
      Are you one of those guys who couldn't take an educated woman seriously if (God forbid) she also happened to be hot?

@redeyemindtricks What... are you talking about? XD
      There's a difference between getting hot by working out, and getting hot by paying a plastic surgeon, and I'm really not just talking about the looks.

xD

Kind of moronic to encourage people to stay in school and let their hard work pay off when you change your ass, boobs beyond their recognition and then use them to sell your "music".

How do you know she didn't do that for herself? Why do you automatically assume she did it for attention? And wtf does that have anything to do with telling people to stay in school? There's literally no correlation? Why aren't people allowed to change their appearance?

People are allowed to change their appearance - but that doesn't make it any less vain.

"In an industry that is male dominated."
    If ANY industry is female dominated, it's the pop music industry.
    Taylor swift,
    Kesha,
    Miley cyrus,
    Bayonce,
    Adele,
    Katy perry,
    Lady gaga,
    Rihanna,
    Shakira,
    Britney spears,
    Arianna grande,
    Selena gomez,
    Demi lavato,
    Jennifer lopez,
    Lorde,
    Mariah carey,
    Carrie underwood,
    Ellie goulding,
    Iggy azalea,

She's a rapper, not a pop singer.

Hip hop meaning rap. Have you listened to any of her songs at all? She's like 90% rapping and 10% singing.

Plus pop =/= singing, pop just means "popular music" and that can be anything.

Lmao www.goforthbesocial.com/.../...dstaff-1019_606.jpg
    I went outside of my closet just for this take.
    "stay in school"
    plenty of morons have said it, just because another one somehow makes it like she is somehow better? Taylor Swift, Katie Perry, even fuckin ICP.
    "she shows young girls confidence."
    Why. Just how is it confident to walk around like a slut? Its fucking annoying to see some broad acting like they are hot shit when i can walk up to them, make fun and watch them break down. The worst part is, they fuck me afterwards... that ain't confidence lmao, thats known as benign neglect from their parents and a false reality spreaded to them by figure heads like nicki minaj. The feminist values of this take is so fucking cringy.

"She has managed to survive and make a name for herself in an industry that's male dominated." She's done that essentially by looking hot and having a big @$$! She's not some champion of female empowerment fighting sexism, she's perpetuating it by using her body and not her "talent" to get famous.

As for what she's singing about, take a listen to "anaconda" and "stupid ho" and tell me exactly what part of her music (I call it music for want of a more accurate description) makes her such a good role model.

Haters gonna hate

She's ugly as f*ck, but otherwise I don't care one bit for her. I just don't give a damn.

I like literally one song by Nikki Minaj.

I'm indifferent to her otherwise. Don't love or hate her

But she promotes golddiging
    And Has a a bad attitude

LOL all the gag hating on Nicki Minaj. What have you done in your life? What charity have you donated to? Do people look up to you? Just fade away in your mom's basement.

I'm personsally indifferent

No, I will bash her all I like.
    First Amendment and all.

Point 4 makes no sense.
    Nearly/almost/about HALF of the musicians are women. I could list a long list of great female musicians more than I can like male ones. And Nicki is near bottom.

I will say this: she has talent, but I see her making lots of dumb music. I hope she gets to a point where she can make really good music without having to make the dumb shit.

She's a rapper. Most rappers are men.

refrain from buying a certain store's products contribute to whether that store remains open or is replaced. That's how society and art and technology grow: people give their input, and what is good remains, and what isn't, doesn't.

This is all moot, anyway, because he didn't say half the things you are reading out of his post. He literally said two sentences:

"I will say this: she has talent, but I see her making lots of dumb music."
      "I hope she gets to a point where she can make really good music without having to make the dumb shit."

In sentence one, he praises her talent, but says that right now she is making bad music.
      In sentence two, he hopes she will use that talent to make better music and not have to make the bad music any more.

What is missing from those two sentences: 1) Any sort of disparaging comment toward Minaj's fans, and 2) any insistence that other opinions are wrong.

THAT is why I think you are taking this personally. Your posts have been way out of proportion

with what he said in the first post. It doesn't make sense to me why you are going to such lengths to say his kind of opinion is toxic to society. The only thing I can think is that you got upset for whatever reason with him of all the posters here and posted about it, and when I started to argue with you, you got in a rut in which you feel obligated to continue arguing your original points. And the reason I suspect this is because I have been in that exact position and have gotten my ass handed back to me by people with coherent, rational arguments.

Bash her? I don't care about her music or whatever else she does. Her existence is meaningless to me. But I won't bash her.

I hate people that just like to hate (I know super ironic and hypocritical)

It's like when people just hate on something that's popular to hate I think to myself how I dislike this person more than I dislike the person they hate because they won't shut up about them.

Personally I'm definitely not a fan of Nicki Minaj. But I'm not saying her music is bad or anything about her. I just don't like the genre. I know nothing about her other than gossip others say about her. Same with a bunch of other celebrities. And I always think "why do you care in the slightest?" and people get so offended when I ask that question yet they can never come up with an answer.

Long story short people just like to gossip about more popular people. Most likely some psychoanalytical explanation for all the possible reasons why.

LEAVE NICKI MINGE ALONE! JUST LEAVE HER ALONE!

I guess in this day in age she is considered talented
    I dont know her as a person but as far as music goes i dont like her
    And that post about the "you dint need to hate" is funny cause she blatantly hates on skinny women in the song anaconda lol

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/446/756/446756177_640.jpg
      Nicki was skinny before she got pumped up with breast implants (silicone), a fake ass and hip shots. I hate that the take owner says Nicki has true confidence.
      Yeah right!
      Lets hate on skinny women as if you weren't one before you altered yourself.
      Hypocritical.

i love jerking off to nicki minaj ;)

• More from Guys
    30

What Girls Said 32

I just don't like that genre of music and how she seems to be.

Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan of her music but I don't dislike her as a person.

Honestly, I didn't consider myself a Nicki Manage fan, didn't know much about her other than her eccentric style and sexuality in the media really. I wasn't even expecting to like this take, but I did. I now have more respect for this woman. Not that I didn't before, as I didn't know her, but I see her in a much different light.

True confidence is someone that doesn't need to promote a body image that is unrealistic. True confidence is also from someone that doesn't need plastic surgery on almost every inch of their body, lace front wigs, piled on make up, to "show that is what sexy is looks like".
    Also, being that Nicki is a modern rapper she had many influences such as little Kim (that is the person that deserves all of the clapping for being in a male dominated industry) little Kim, is who opened the doors for female artists like her lets not forget that.

"That Girl Love is important."

That's why she said "fuck skinny bitches", meanwhile more women search for how to get a bigger butt than to make their butts smaller[1], and contributing to the fact that butt implants are the highest rising plastic surgery[2], thus contributing to the profit of old white men in the beauty industry who make money off of women's insecurities, so that they can continue to do so.

[1] www.nytimes.com/.../...witz-searching-for-sex.html
    [2] www.counselheal.com/.../...-rising-study-finds.htm

Also, who cares about the fact that many skinny women are that way due to anorexia, right? Just contribute to making them feel worse about their bodies.

You can lift up one group of women without putting another group of women down.

Also...

"If you got a big ol' butt, shake it." What if a woman doesn't WANT to shake her butt?

& Also Nicki Minaj's song Only.

- Chris Brown, an abuser of women, is one of the rappers in the song. She willingly worked with a woman-abuser.
    - Drake proudly objectifies Nicki in such a way that teen boys hearing the song are gonna think it’s cool to talk about women like that (”she was sitting down on that big butt but i was still staring at the tittttties thoughhh!”)
    - over-emphasis on the sexual desirability of having large breasts (if you’re one of those people saying that women haven’t been pressured to have big breasts for several decades now, then you literally live under a rock)
    - Referring to women as “bitches”

<3 this! I think people bash because it's cool to bash.

Personally, I'd trade her for any of the musicians I love that have died. I much prefer Mitch Licker or The Rev over Nicki Minaj, because both of them are extremely talented people who knew how to play an instrument or scream (doesn't sound that hard but it's really tricky to scream.)

I dislike how much emphasis she puts on being provocative. She sang Anaconda, for the love of God, and spends most of her time wearing provocative clothing and twerking because that's what attract people to her. Maybe she has one or two good songs, I think that's more luck than anything

I'm gonna be honest here. She strikes me as incredibly fake. She talks the talk, but does she walk the walk? Or is it all PR? A lot of pop icons talk about common topics that we can all agree are good, but do they act on them? Probably not.

Before someone tells me "not all celebrities are like that!" you're right, not all celebrities/bands are like that. Austin Carlile, of Of Mice and Men, talks about his experience with Marfan syndrome, and encourages anyone who thinks they or a loved one might have it to get tested for it. Pete Wentz, of Fall Out Boy, is majorly into foundations like the Jeb foundation (a mental health organization, with the main goal of preventing suicide among university kids) and the entire band is very involved with UNICEF, and Andy Biersack, of Black Veil Brides, is majorly involved with anti-bullying campaigns and gay rights.

Pete Wentz (FOB) is bisexual and has struggled with bipolar depression and suicidal thoughts, which lead him to attempt suicide in 2003; now he has a successful career, a loving girlfriend, and two adorable kids. Patrick Stump (also FOB) has struggled with his weight, and didn't think he would make it to 21 without killing himself; he's still here, with a beautiful wife, a kid, and another one of the way. Vic Fuentes (Pierce the Veil) was bullied in school and self harmed when he was a teenager, and he still has the scars on his wrists; he stopped because his little brother looked up to him and he didn't want to see him go down the same road, and he continues to this day to talk about self-harm and how to get help, and writes about topics a lot of people relate to, such as losing friends to suicide. Tyler Joseph (TOP) deals with depression and suicidal thoughts; he writes incredibly moving and raw music (such as Migraine and Car Radio) about dealing with his demons.

A lot of the bands in the alt scene are way better role models, I'm sorry if that offends you but it's true. Hell, the biggest gathering of them all, Warped Tour, has so much activism, whether it be PETA, mental health organizations, ending the stigma against piercings and tattoos, or some other organization, you can find a activism booth simply by walking ten paces. It doesn't take hard work to get implants, dress provacatively, and twerk, anyone could do that. She doesn't write much of her own music (the beat or the words), google can back me up on that, and even if she did write some of the lyrics, it shouldn't take five other writers and softcore porn for videos to make people want to watch you if you're truly talented. It's true her past was bad, a lot of people have bad pasts, but that itself doesn't make her a good role model.

Very nice mytake.
    Yes, I agree. I never knew all of these things about her, but I could tell she's a lot more than what just her lyrics would suggest. She's a lot more.
    Now it makes sense.

Nice Take

No one is bashing nicki minaj anymore she is a good rapper but she is not that relevant anymore to be talking about.

she is pretty but that does not mean I'm going to be a suck up to her for that, there are plenty of pretty celebs

I see people bashing her all the time though.

She's alright. :) I like her because her star sign is Sagittarius like me lmaoooo

I love this <3 Her music isn't my kind of thing but I adore her as a person. Love how most of the comments on this take are just proving your point.

i think she's cool especially her family values.

about the dress ripping thing (didn't know about it until now) how do we know what she really cared about? she just said that. only we know what's in our minds. we can always choose to say or act a certain way.

Why someone would lift this nasty ho up is beyond me...

She's a fake hoe who just uses her body lol that's fake.

True

I never knew most of these stuff, but I always thought of her as a smart and funny person.

still so what? I can be a real bad role model regardless. I mean she uses phrases like ''f*ck'' ''b*tch'' or ''p*ssy'' all the time, all the words she says don't have any value because she just keeps presenting herself like she doesn't care about any of that. Sorry but i may like some songs but i think she's pretty f*cked up

For starters the best way for a woman to advance careerwise is to go into a male dominated profession rather than professions dominated by women. Who really is hating on her yes she's a positive role model at times but that doesn't mean I think 13 year old girls should dress like her, buy her music, go to her shows or listen to the lyrics in her songs. At the end of the day whether its Rhianna, Beyonce, Swift, Iggy. Adrianna or the rest of them all your seeing is carefully sculpted image that doesn't represent who they are good or bad, every story you read or watch is put out there by the Music industry who know the more controversial the better. Nikki Minaj comes off the pop factory conveyer belt, guarantee there is another right behind ready to take her place bug thats show business.

I could care less about Nicki to be honest.

• More from Girls
    12