4 Canceled Moves That Would've Been EPIC (WTF Hollywood?)

We hear about a lot of bad movies. The ones that make you go, what were the studio execs on when they gave the green-light on that, well it turns out they also cancel some pretty damn awesome sounding projects.

4. Peter Jackson film adaption of Halo

SERIOUSLY HOLLYWOOD? YOU UP AND CANCEL THE ONLY GODDAMN VIDEO GAME ADAPTION THAT WOULD ACTUALLY PROBABLY BE WORTH WATCHING. Seriously, a Peter Jackson-directed Halo movie with a budget of 200 million dollars would have been epic. Seriously, that would EASILY make its money back AND bring in new people to play the games.

3. Guillermo Del Toro's Adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness

Considering how much people talk about the Cthulhu mythos (though 90 percent of the people who talk about it have actually never read a single story. Cthulhu, yeah he's a minor player), it's surprising that the execs turned this one down. But apparently, a 100 million dollar budget was too much when they shell that much out for some truly stupid projects. This is one of HP Lovecraft's most famous stories about a group of explorers going to Antarctica and finding a mountain range that dwarfs the Himalayas. They find an ancient city inhabited by aliens, there are Giant Penguins and shit. Yeah, its a Lovecraft story, but Guillermo Del Toro would have been PERFECT for this job.

2. Creature from the Black Lagoon Remade BY JOHN FREAKING CARPENTER

It's hard to deny that John Carpenter is probably the greatest living horror director with films such as Halloween and The Thing. He really and truly is the master of the horror genre. Now back in the 1980s, Universal was developing a remake of the Creature from the Black Lagoon ,the best of the 50's creature features. John Carpenter would be the guy I'd want directing this; hell, The Thing 1982 was better than both the first film AND THE ORIGINAL BOOK. If anyone could have made this film kick more ass I can't think of them. Sadly, the film languished and died in development hell.

1. Freddie vs. Jason vs Ash

There are two bad things about this movie idea: First is that it wasn't Freddy vs Jason vs Michael Myers vs Ash and second, that it never got made. After Freddy Versus Jason you'd THINK that Hollywood would have been all over this idea, as Freddy vs Jason was probably the only legitimately entertaining movie that either franchise did in at least 15 years. Yet when Hollywood was offered to have Ash Williams from the Evil Dead Franchise kick their asses and be all heroic and shit. THEY SAID NO. This actually did get made in the form of a comic book but it would have been WAY BETTER as a movie.

I think we can all say, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING HOLLYWOOD.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

Halo makes sense since no one talks about it anyone and what story did Halo had? Games like Halo or call of duty barely have story lines to work with. And Freddy vs. Jason crap really? dude you have many movies with Freddy or Jason vsing someone you don't need this movie. People move on from Freddy and Jason.

No actually their is just the Freddy Versus Jason Film and Halo is not about the story, it's just about THAT IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME.
      No plot more than, Space Marines fight Aliens
      But Peter Jackson Level Special Effects would in that.

Whatever consider my balls rolled off!..

I want a HALO movie.

I'd like to see a creature of the black lagoon remake, but everything else. Meh. Never heard of itor don't really get into those types of things.
    Maybe a live action school house rock piece :') with favorites like Conjunction Junction and I'm Just a Bill,

Omg #4 #3 would be EPIC
    I love Halo

REALLY? #1 & #2 would have been phenomenal!

#1 still partially exists, but only in comic book form. It's supposed to be a direct sequel to Freddy VS. Jason but they had so many problems with getting things to work. Bruce Campbell himself said if Ash ain't gonna be the True and Clear Winner he won't bother to be involved, and nobody else is interested enough to stand-in to portray his iconic role anyhow, so it didn't happen at all in the end.

@JudgmentDay figures, but I can see Bruce Campbell's point!

I would have loved another Freddy vs Jason movie! Or any movie with two horror villains kicking each others asses!
    Hollywood is hilarious, remake everything but won't do an actually cool and great idea? All they care about is money and talent and ideas have faded in Hollywood.

They did eventually turn the unused draft or work in progress script of Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash into 2 comic books though. That's as close as you'll get to a "sequel" to Freddy vs. Jason at this point. Assuming that Netherrealm Sutdios eventually re-secure the rights to add Freddy Krueger into Mortal Kombat X / Mortal Kombat XL, as Jason Voorhees is already in that game as a guest character.

Japan is making Sadako v. Kayako. I don't have high hopes.

What Guys Said 19

Thank God Halo never happened. A bunch of wildly overrated games didn't need a wildly overrated movie to bring the Halo fanboys back to the forefront... as every last one know about as much about gaming as my grandmother, I'm very glad they're not around as much anymore. :P

But what about Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto, I was actually surprised those 2 big cash cows that are overrated af didn't get adapted into hollywood productions by now. And I really hope they never, but I'd expect them to at some point.

Take a look at the bigger picture,
      Peter Jackson directing a movie about space marines fighting aliens with a 200 million dollar budget.
      That would be WAY better than Avatar

Well, just about ANYTHING would be better than Avatar. :P

Guillermo Del Toro's Adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness

I saw this fake trailer for it a long time ago that just looks amazing
    https://youtu.be/vw3tuiND_xk

And being a poet/writer especially of darker stuff I love H. P Lovecraft's work it's twisted, it's mad/insane it'll drive you mad if you delve into it deeply enough. He was the forefather of modern horror but more then that he created his own unique genre of horror all his own. I would have loved to see it made into a movie as long as it was done right.

I really do enjoy Del Toro's interview about it.
    https://youtu.be/jg9VCf5einY

At the Mountains of Madness, from the guy who brought you Pans Labyrinth?

No thank you. I want to see the story brought to life, not a showcase reel for his friends in the FX department.

Hollywood is reluctant to make things they can't sequel or merchandise. Halo was probably the only one with sequel potential.

THEY WERE GONNA MAKE A GOOD HALO MOVIE? FJDJGIDVKHSJNUGIVJSKDHJNUJVKHNDUSIJKGHNVSUDIJK<GHJFNVMISKD

"Game in the Sand"

As much as I love Ash, Jason Vorhees would rip that chainsaw arm off and shove it up his ass in like 3 seconds. And it's not even funny thinking about What Freddy would do to him lol
    I did like the comic book version. And I would love to see all those movies, Even if the only real Lovecraft stories I like involve the Necromiricon.

Freddie vs. Jason vs Ash - That would be fantastic :)
    Creature from the Black Lagoon remade by Carpenter - Even better :D
    Guillermo Del Toro's Adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness - Yep, it might have been very interesting.
    Peter Jackson is a great director, but I'm not into first-person shooter games, though, the movie could have been good.

1. Freddie vs. Jason vs Ash

This would have been AMAZING!

halo is boring as fuck

I free with 4 and 2. Not sure about Freddie vs Jason vs Ash, as much I do love Evil Dead and like some of the Elm Street and Friday the 13th films...

I would have loved to see a Bioshock Series... And franchise/potential with Infinite... But sadly, it doesn't look like a possibility these days. I believe someone did a really great fan trailer years ago, or maybe they were trying to get fans excited when people were in talks for a real movie... People have said it would be prohibitively expensive, though... Not sure why that would be the case.

Now as much as I like Halo, I think it would have to be simplified... Just as Bicentenial Man had to cut out about 6 generations of "Martins" for people to understand more, I think they'd have to make all the politics of Halo, make it a bit simpler, cut out some species... And I think fans would revolt if that happened...

I l9love halo man , sad who knows maybe we'll get one in the future.

they could make shit like Jupiter Acending and john carter

When you fuck up the title, you wish the content better be good.

www.firstshowing.net/.../

I found this about the "At the Mountains of Madness" adaptation.

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash WAS Eventually Adapted as 2 Comic Books. I actually read them both, it was absolute fucking hilarious. It was based on the unused script or a draft of the original script that had been in a work of progress or something.

The problem is that the studios couldn't do it, because Bruce Campbell said he'd only be involved if his character gets to "clearly" to be the victor in the 3 way deathmatch to the finish.

It WAS Supposed to be the Direct Sequel to Freddy VS. Jason but they couldn't follow through with it, and Sam Raimi wouldn't want the studios and execs to try and fuck up Ash's character since Raimi won't be the guy to direct or produce it and have enough control over Ash's character.

Personally, I strongly feel Ash should be the winner. And that is because.

WELL HE'S FUCKING ASH WILLIAMS THAT'S WHY!!

Besides, A Bladed Claw vs. A Machete vs. A Sawed-Off Shotgun AND a Chainsaw, it's obvious the WINNER will be the guy with the fucking gun and chainsaw!

I did point that out in the take "This actually did get made in the form of a comic book but it would have been WAY BETTER as a movie."

@JudgementDay

Judgment is without the e, although I think either way is correct but just try and remember if you use @JudgmentDay

There's also Pin Head, and Leatherface a few other of those boogiemen slasher bad guys. But I guess Freddy and Jason stood out the most among them for all the most well recognized ones.

Michael Myers had one cameo in a Call Of Duty DLC if I remembered correctly.

There was also a Jason vs. Leatherface comic book and both of them made into Mortal Kombat X as guest characters. The more the merrier, although I would love see Ash to have his own army of characters to battle all of the undead antagonists, just to make things even more funnier. In video game (s) or comic book I can see it happen, but for any real hollywood production? It's highly unlikely going to ever become a reality. It's hard enough for them to make it a 1 franchise licensed property vs. 1 other franchise licensed property already.

Creature from the Black Lagoon sounds intriguing. That used to scare me as a child.

Dafauq Hollywood 😕😕😕😕

Considering the crap they did green light, I would have to agree with you! Hollywood doesn't give a shit about good movies, they just want money!