The Aspiring Writer's Archive

This is not an article with tips for aspiring writers. As an aspiring writer myself, this is an article used as a resource for aspiring writers. I am here to learn with you. If I was a published author trust me, I would give you all the tips I knew because the world is big enough for all of us.

Please share any resources that you have because this can help other aspiring writers too. Below are my resources I use that helps me with my stories. Also feel free to share your resources here. I just stated that this article is for resources simply because I do not claim to be an expert when it comes to getting published.

Writers digest is like the google of the aspiring writing world to me. I highly reccomend subscribing to Writer's Digest emails. There are tips from bestselling authors on just about everything.

Bridget McNulty, a published author in the USA in South Africa from Now Novel provides great tips for aspiring writers. I have gotten emails with articles on how to plot, how to develop characters, how to plot a novel, how to plot a short story, etc from her group.

I have not read Stephen King's On Writing, but I have read excerpts on his tips for writing in articles. I definitely plan on checking this book out at the library but in the meantime I have a few quotes from the book:

"Writing is a lonely job. Having someone who believes in you makes a lot of difference."

"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s."

"The most important things to remember about back story are that (a) everyone has a history and (b) most of it isn’t very interesting."

"By the time I was fourteen the nail in my wall would no longer support the weight of the rejection slips impaled upon it. I replaced the nail with a spike and went on writing."

"It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn’t in the middle of the room. Life isn’t a support system for art. It’s the other way around."

#Aspiringwritersarchive

ikissedtheskyonce is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

These are all good tips

Thanks for the references! Everyone can use them, even veteran writers. :)

Regardless, let it be known that the majority of the people that see this will fail and never reach prominence.

With that being said, it is also important to note that the book "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman only got three positive reviews at its outset. All of which were written anonymously... by Walt Whitman.

It is now a quite prominent book.

That is why its important to write because you like it not because of money and fame, but at the same time, that is not an excuse to not work hard if one wants to get published. I wrote a novel recently, its my second draft and i wrote a novelette which im currently editing but editing is so hard

A writer whom I listen sometimes "James Attucher" says------" I am happy when I write well. I am an addict. Every moment of my day is about writing for me. Writing is my guiding philosophy of life. It's the way I live. I love learning. I love thinking. I love to increase my freedom.. But my every thought revolves around how it will improve my writing. Then he says i write because : (1) It makes my day. (2) I listen --every one has a story to tell and everyone want's to share their life story. (3) I am curious---because if the don't tell me their story this knowledge will disappear. (4) I want attention (5) I like to play with words. (6) I like to think I can help (7) Words are freedom--- (8) Writing builds character. (9) I love to read (10) I love my friends who write. "

What Girls Said 6

interesting. i've been thinking about getting back into writing

I wrote a novel and a short story recently, Im in the process of editing my short story. Its so hard. I do not know how people do it

I want to write a fantasy novel but I'm intimidated by coming up with a good plot, world and motive. Everytime I have an idea and start to write it out I can't nervous it's cliché.

I wrote a fantasy novel recently. My advice to you is just to write it. Im currently editing a short story and if i would have known that editing was really hard i would have not stressed so much about editing

When writing, you really have to catch your audience attention. What is it that makes them want to read what you want to write? You have to know people and specifically you have to know your target audience. I like to read self help books, but I will not read one that is geared towards hating self improvement and becoming a more loving person. I also would not want to read something that is geared towards tearing down my self esteem. Just my two cents

thank you very much! ^-^ imma use these!!

Thank you for posting this! I'm excited to check out what you've posted!

I haven't used many resources, but I am subscribed to Dictionary. com's Word of the Day emails to help me expand my vocabulary, which definitely helps with writing! I would recommend it.

Posting here so I don't forget the link :)