5 Good Horror Stories to Creep You Out This Halloween

I love reading, I love horror stories, and I've been on a Stephen King binge lately, so here are five short horror stories that will give you those pleasant scares.

The Landlady, by Roald Dahl

Many people don't realize that Roald Dahl also wrote horror as well. The twist is fairly easy to spot if you are looking but it is very well executed.

The Dunwich Horror, by H.P. Lovecraft

This is one of H.P Lovecraft's best works and its just a damn fine story at that. Also, it does not actually involve Cthulhu; most of the mythos stories don't even mention Cthulhu let alone feature him or his cultists. Cthulhu is actually a minor player in a mythos.

The Pigeons From Hell, By Robert E. Howard

This is a story that Stephen King once called the finest horror story of the century. It really lives up to it. Its just an amazing story and it's set in the Piney Woods in the Southern U.S, one of the only places on the planet whose creepiness can rival that of New England.

The Fall of the House of Usher, By Edgar Allan Poe

This has to be my favorite story by Edgar Allan Poe and for good reason. The atmosphere is both beautifully written and inherently creepy, and it's a damn fine horror story.

The Children of the Corn, by Stephen King

Before this was a cult classic horror film it was a story by Stephen King, and if there is one thing that man knows it's how to write a horror story. It's a very scary story and very well done.

#HappyHalloween

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 13

*adds them to my list* My never-ending list XD

I have read any of these but they sound good.

Haven't read em, but they sound interesting!

Ohh about to read them all.

• 6d

rGood post

Dark Melody of Madness-Cornell Woolrich
    Probably the best scary story I've ever read. I'm sure you'd like it :)
    The story takes place in Louisiana.

Great Take! I love horror movies. I especially enjoy Stephen king's stories

I have read all of these except for the last one... I did see some of the movies though. "We are all Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory is great if your looking for future October reads.

Do you have a goodreads account?

I do not have a goodreads account

Just added you!

sent you some books on goodreads... the first just looked good the others I have read and I thought you might like so go through them and see if anything tickles your fancy!

Roald Dahl ❤️ His tales of the unexpected as well as his kids stuff is all a bit creepy and I love it!

I watched children of the corn i liied the movie but also hated it it was cringe worthy (the bad kids killing)

Love H. P. Lovecraft! Have you read anything by Michael Whitehouse?

I haven't read any of those stories. They seem interesting and I could try to read some of them.
    It's a new genre for me.

I haven't read any of these but they sound amazing! :D I love a good spooky story!

What Guys Said 5

"I am Legend" by Richard Matheson is a book I cannot endorse enough. It singlehandedly created the zombie genre by isolating vampirism from its supernatural context so that it was a natural phenomenon. It even goes so far as to literally slam Bram Stoker by having the main character throw "Dracula" in the fireplace.

Having read it, I prefer Dracula actually,
      I LOVE well done paranormal horror.
      Side note,
      Have you read any stephen king?

Surprisingly not, although you'd think I would have by now. What is a good first book by him to read?

Okay,
      lets go down the list,
      Carrie
      Pet Sematary
      The Shining and its recent sequel doctor sleep
      Cujo
      Cell
      Cycle of the Werewolf is like less than an hour but its worth a read

I haven't read any of them yet.

What is that mans name? The one in the picture from the landlady.

Great stories indeed, Stephen King, Robert E. Howard and Edgar Allan Poe are among my favorite horror writers.
    Outstanding Take ;)

I've read the last two :)