Comic Book Trivia: The Incredible Hulk

I started writing this before I finished the one about Flash (Barry Allen).

10. He can talk.

He's always been able to. This might be surprising to movie fans but you probably know it if you're an avid reader of comics. His English is broken and he usually speaks in third person, but he can still form complete sentences.

I still want to see him speak more than five words in the movies. The most we've gotten from him in them is probably "Hulk smash puny human!".

9. He was originally grey.

They did plan for him to be grey and even made him grey in the first appearance.

They only made him green in the second issue because they ran out of ink. They decided to keep him that way though, and later explained it by saying that there are two Hulk personas inside him. Grey Hulk still makes appearances and is nicknamed Dr. Joe Fixit.

He's the weakest version of Hulk though. I'm pretty sure even Thing and Iron Man (with a standard fully-powered suit) are physically stronger than Grey Hulk.

8. He's angry because was abused as a child.

In The Incredible Hulk #312, it was revealed that Bruce’s alcoholic father, Brian Banner, beat him as a child because he was scared of his son’s uncanny intelligence. When Bruce’s mother intervened, his father killed her.

Years later, after Brian is released from prison, Bruce confronted him at his mother’s grave. The two got in a fight, which ended with Bruce in turn killing his father.

The young Banner immediately represses the incident until by chance one day he gets blown up by a gamma bomb and all that bottled up anger takes the form of the Hulk.

7. Lou Ferrigno has appeared in every live-action adaptation.

For those of you who don't know who he is, he played Hulk in the '70s live action TV show.

And there's no CGI used here. That's how big he really is.

In both 2003’s Hulk and 2008’s The Incredible Hulk, he cameos as a security guard and, in the latter, delivers all six of the words spoken by Hulk. In The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron when the Hulk grunts and says awesome things like “Puny Gods” – that’s Lou we’re hearing. He was also the voice actor in the ’90s Incredible Hulk animated series.

6. He once conquered a planet.

This happened in the Planet Hulk storyline when he was banished to another planet by the Illuminati; A group consisting of Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Doctor Strange, Professor X, and a few other characters. They believed this would keep the Earth safe and that he would eventually find peace.

They planned to send him to a peaceful planet but he ended up landing on Sakaar, which was ruled by the Red King, who had slaves and was pretty much a dictator. Hulk gets captured as a slave and gets forced to fight gladiator battles.

Hulk revolted against him and was looked at as a hero by the resistance. He finally defeats the Red King and frees everyone on the planet. They then pick him as their leader.

He also decides to abandon Earth so he could live on Sakaar. But he changes his mind after the death of his wife Caiera (who was pregnant with his child).

This is when he decided to wage war on Earth with his own army in another story called World War Hulk. He blamed them for her death.

There's a Planet Hulk animated movie too but they did cut out a lot of scenes in order to make it family friendly. It does give you a good idea of what the story is about though.

Bonus Fact... His story in Thor: Ragnarok is going to be similar to Planet Hulk.

Fans were assuming this since Planet Hulk took place parallel to Civil War in the comics, and Hulk wasn't in Civil War. They did confirm that he's going to have a major role in the next Thor movie, so there were rumors that he would be in outer space. These rumors have been confirmed now and they even revealed his gladiator armor.

He fought Silver Surfer in a gladiator battle in the comics but the animated movie changed this to Beta Ray Bill. It seems like it'll be Thor in the live action movies though. I'm excited :D

5. His transformation originally wasn't related to anger.

Or any emotion. He'd just transform into Hulk at dusk and and revert back into his banner form at dawn.

The comics didn't sell well enough because of this and it got cancelled after 6 issues. His next appearance was in Avengers #1.

4. He has children.

Two of them (Skaar and Hiro-Kala) are twin sons he had with Caiera in an alternate universe where she didn't die during Planet Hulk. There’s also Lyra, the offspring of Hulk and Thundra, who time travelled from an alternate future to grab some of the green giant’s DNA and use it to artificially conceive a genetically modified Hulkette.

3. He can usually heal faster than Wolverine.

I'm not talking about bone-claws Wolverine here. The adamantium in his skeleton slows down his healing factor, so Hulk's actually works faster than his. This is also why Deadpool can heal faster than Wolverine, even though they have the same healing factor. Hulk once managed to grow his head back after being decapitated.

2. He can see ghosts.

He has a bunch of powers that most people don't know about. One of them is the ability to breathe underwater by controlling the pressure. Another one includes surviving in outer space by producing oxygen. He also has the ability to see ghosts, thanks to his messed up aforementioned relationship with his father.

Bruce Banner has such an overwhelming fear of being haunted by his dad, that he unconsciously provided the Hulk with the ability to see and interact with paranormal apparitions. Fortunately, Hulk eventually overcomes this fear when he visits Hell and beats up his father’s ghost. This also lets him see Doctor Strange in his astral state.

I think this would make for a good Easter egg in the Doctor Strange post-credits scene.

1. The inspirations of his character were both Frankenstein's monster and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I'm going to quote Stan Lee.

When I was younger, I loved the movie Frankenstein, starring Boris Karloff as the monster. I also loved Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And one day I figured, "Wouldn't it be cool to combine both of them and create a monster who can change from a normal human into the monster?" I always felt that in the movie Frakenstein, the monster was really a good guy, who didn't want to hurt anybody and was always being chased by idiots. So I thought "Why not get a sympathetic monster but let it be a guy who could change back and forth?" So I decided to call him the Hulk.

I still haven't decided which character I'm going to do next. I'm thinking about doing Captain America but I might also end up doing a villain. Let me know which one you want :D

#ComicBookTrivia #LTComicTakes

LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

Wait he was originally a were-hulk?

The good old Hulk, my childhood hero...

Hulk rules, no wonder Hulk Hogan named himself after the Incredible Hulk :D

worth1000.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...50_1024x2000.jpg

So is this like dirty talk for you and your boyfriend? 😝 haha
    Lou also played hinself on the Kind of Queens fyi!

He has kids? wow I didn't know any female could withstand his earth shattering thrusts.

She wasn't human either. In fact, she went toe to toe with him

Plus he makes a mean omelette...

Nice!! Now I know more about Hulk. And it's amazing you have written all of this.

Only the green incarnations can breathe in space and underwater. The grey (Mr. Fixit) could not. His healing factor seems to get stronger based on the strength of his current incarnation. World War Hulk, for example, has a much faster healing factor then even Deadpool. This measuring stick doesn't seem to work in all instances, though, grey hulk is physically weaker than any green incarnation however his healing factor was stronger than most green incarnations.

I didn't know that. Interesting :)

Well Red Hulk can breathe in space too. He did it in the Murder, Mayhem and Betrayal storyline.

Oh that I did not know. Makes sense, though, part of the red hulks power is cosmic energy.

Finally the mighty Hulk :D
    He is one of my favorite Marvel characters, along with Thor, Spider-Man, Silver Surfer and Doctor Strange.
    If I might add, Lou Ferrigno has also appeared in the 80's movies: The Incredible Hulk Returns (1988), The Trial of the Incredible Hulk (1989) and The Death of the Incredible Hulk (1990).
    There should have been another sequel in the early 90's (The Revenge of the Incredible Hulk) but the plans were cancelled due to death of Bill Bixby (1993), who played the role of Bruce Banner.
    What villains are in your plans for the new Takes?
    Don't forget about some Justice League superheroes, like The Green Lantern and The Martian Manhunter.
    I guess you could do another superheroine, Wonder Woman was great ;)

Excellent Take, as expected 😎

Oh okay. I didn't know that. I guess Ferrigno basically is Hulk then :D

Yeah I'm doing more Justice League characters too. As for villains, I'm thinking of doing Thanos or Lex Luthor but I guess I'll see. I have my mind on Captain America, Wonder Woman, and Shazam right now.

Ugh I meant Black Widow, not Wonder Woman 😅

Oh good, Black Widow is another intriguing superheroine, much more interesting than Supergirl, and way better in fighting skills.

Excellent. i have known about a few of these... did NOT know that Lou Ferrigno cameo'd in the hulk films though

You forgot to mention that his strength has no upper limit. If he gets angry enough, he can overpower pretty much anyone.
    Or so I've heard.

Yeah that is true

Ahh, thanks for clearing that out. I don't know much about Marvel.
      Except Spider Man and Ghost Rider. Those two are cool.
      Well, Ghost Rider isn't very "cool", but you get what I'm saying.

Yeah :)

The inspiration's really interesting to know. :3

Grey Hulk reminds me a bit of Solomon Grundy

"In The Avengers and The Avengers: Age of Ultron when the Hulk grunts and says awesome things like “Puny Gods” – that’s Lou we’re hearing."

Freaking awesome. Did not know this. So cool!

And, of course, fantastic again and again and again.

I actually like Joe Fixit. I know most fans like to pretend he never existed but I thought he was enjoyable

So when does Banner turn into Grey Hulk? And Grey Hulk is the smartest Hulk right, able to form full sentences?

All of them are able to form full sentences. It's only in the movies that he can't.

And I'm not sure exactly. Sometimes he's just Grey. They never explained that well enough.

Again, nice take, very informative. I have been enjoying reading these takes. Keep them coming. :-)

Great take - Lots of new stuff in there for non comic book fans - Well done

What Girls Said 7

• 3d

thats good,

Cool!

Very nice, the big green guy, I like his attitude 🤗

WoW, I never knew he had children, interesting, is that genetically modified Hulkette even stronger than She-Hulk?

Well Lyra only exists in an alternate universe so she isn't canon, but she basically is She-Hulk in her universe. I don't know who is stronger but I think it's the She-Hulk of the main universe because Lyra's powers work the opposite way. She gets weaker when she gets angry. But she has the ability to predict attacks and weak points so she has better reflexes.

But Skaar (one of his sons) is actually stronger than Hulk himself. Even he's not canon though.

He can actually talk? That's odd, I thought only gray Hulk can talk, green Hulk's vocabulary is mostly like: Hulk smash! Hulk mad! Hulk crash! :P

Very nice MyTake, are there any other color Hulks beside the green, grey and red Hulk?

There's also Blue Hulk, but he's basically Grey Hulk with Captain Universe's powers (I mentioned him in the Avengers take)

Other than that, there's She-Hulk and Red She-Hulk XD

I'm not exactly sure. He didn't have the power for long and Captain Universe's powers vary from host to host. But apparently it didn't affect him as much as it affected Spider-Man. He was still slightly above street level with them. I still think Green Hulk is stronger.

Ok, good to know, thanks :)

That's strange, so Hulk transformation was a bit similar like in Werewolves? Weird, but in a good way :)

Pretty much. But I like the idea of him getting angry better. It shows that he has a real monster inside him even without his powers. I kinda describes humans in general.

It* 😅

Yeah, I like the rage idea too.