4 Awesome Books I Just Read for the First Time, and One I Was Kinda Disappointed With

I read a lot. Books are awesome, books are great. Here are my favorite books I read for the first time this year in no particular order.

Joyland

This book is many things; a murder mystery, a drama, a ghost story, and the story of a dying child, but above all else it is a coming of age story. This book, like many of Stephen King's works, is very human. The ending actually made me nearly cry. I loved it.

The Phillip Marlowe Series

The origin of the hard-boiled detective. The origin of Noir Stories. This is where it all came from. Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, and I loved every single minute of it.

The Golgotha series

There are two books in the series so far. The Six Gun Tarot and the Shotgun Arcana they are about a young boy Jim Negrey, a new arrival in the town of Golgotha, a supernatural mining town in Nevada. It's a Weird Western and one that gets both the Western and Fantasy elements absolutely perfect. It functions well as a fantasy novel and a Western.

The Gabriel Hunt books

These are throwbacks to the pulps. They are just good fun; action and adventure, all in foreign locales. It's just good fun.

Disappointed in: The Millennium Trilogy

Of all the talk I'd heard of how these three books were the greatest thing since sliced bread, I finally decided they were worth reading. They were good but not the best thing I'd ever read like people sometimes act like they are.

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 11

Awesome some of these sound really good.

Sweet, some of these sound really interesting.

I recommend Stephen Kng's Carrie; you can read it free online just search "stephen king carrie read online"

• 7h

awesome

tell me more about The Phillip Marlowe Series

Its about a private detective in the 1930s-1950s
      Its not politically correct by todays standards as in Racial slurs are used but it was written back in the 1930s first.
      There are corrupt cops, gangsters, femme fatales. Its noir

I will check it out, do you have any other recommendation s?

You are my favourite G@G editor.

I love reading, so I'll try to read some of your suggestions. 👍

I like Stephen king, too, but what about classics?
    You should definitely check out Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray - it's a very short novel, too & Dostoevsky's Idiot!

I've read Picture of Dorian Gray.

This is all stuff I read for the first time this year. I read dorian gray for the first time years ago.
      I did in fact really like it

I see, let me know what you think of the idiot should you ever read it :)

Have you ever read Post Office by Charles Bukowski?

www.google.com/search

The Golgotha series sounds like an interesting read.

I love reading! Unfortunately I'm not reading any book now...

Joyland seems interesting. Not sure, if I will find it here, but I might look for it.

Joyland sounds interesting. I'll have to read that since I love murder mysteries.

What Guys Said 6

I loved reading when I was a child and I project that I will return to reading when I am retired. However, I read quite a bit on my job and I am very absorbed with volunteer commitments, so I really don't have the time or interest in reading at the present. When I return to reading, I would like to read some of the classics that I missed in my youth and I would like to ready some of Shelby Foote's historical accounts of The War.

I am glad to see that some young people still know about books.

I love reading, love that Raymond chandler quote he's one of my favorite authors.

I like the idea of reading books farewell my lovely looks good. I've read a fair few novels when I was younger but for the most part I'm too lazy. Good on you for sticking with it!

I read the "Milennium" trilogy, I thought the first book was excellent but the other two fell away, he died before he had the chance to edit it properly that is why it was very heavy with legalese. I don't know the other books but I will keep them in mind for future reads.

I like reading too but more informational books. But some day i would like to read 1984 and brave new world.

I read both of them in high school, they are required reading in the US