Why I Might Actually Want the Nintendo Switch

I tend to write more serious or even philosophical myTakes, with the occasional controversial one thrown in for good measure (and strategic reasons, of course). ;)

However, I figure I'd lighten things up for the weekend; get away from the election crap (it's lose-lose, people, and that's all there is to it), all this talk about MGTOW and the endless battle between men and women, etc. And really, you can't get much lighter than good ol' Nintendo.

If you didn't know, the legendary video game manufacturer officially revealed their new console this past week. Previously known only as the "Nintendo NX," the Switch is an all-in-one gaming device that is supposed to cover just about every aspect of modern gaming, from traditional console playing on a TV to multiplayer, on-the-go entertainment in a variety of different forms. Here's the debut trailer if you haven't seen it:

Now, a little background about me: While I don't play games as often these days - I'd sacrifice my games before I'd let anyone touch my library (yeah, books), for example - I still try to stay up-to-date on the industry. After all, I covered it for over a decade and as a journalist and critic, I have pretty strong ties to interactive entertainment. For the record, I have zero interest in virtual reality for a bunch of reasons I won't get into here.

For the sake of this breezy little myTake, let's get down to brass tacks:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES in the mid-'90s. Why? Well, I grew up, for one thing. Sony and Microsoft simply started making games for adults, and also pulled well ahead of Nintendo in the technical department, so if I wanted the best games available, designed for a more mature demographic, I really had to stick with PlayStation and PC (though I did own Xbox and Xbox 360). On top of which, I've loathed the controllers Nintendo have produced dating back to the N64, and the deplorable lack of top-tier AAA titles when compared to the competition was just unacceptable, in my estimation. You can't put out one or two great first-party games a year - oh look, another Mario and Zelda - and expect that to carry you in this insanely competitive market. Oh, and the Wii and Wii U were just...jokes. For real gamers, I mean. ;)

But anyway, those are the reasons why I've avoided Nintendo. And I'm not saying it's a definite I'll get the Switch, but I like what I'm seeing. I don't really care much about the portable aspect, though it'd be covered if I ever wanted it for that reason, and the simple flexibility of the unit is appealing. Plus, the types of software they'll have are basically polar opposites to what I normally play and I'd like to have that variety. As I've long since opted not to deal with Xbox One this generation, it'd be good to have a complement to the PS4. I like diversity in my entertainment, provided it's of a certain quality. I still don't expect to see the level of Uncharted from Nintendo but that's okay; I don't really need it from them. I just need something different.

The only caveats are price and launch software. This thing isn't worth more than $300 so it better not cost more than that. Furthermore, the aforementioned lack of software has been Nintendo's biggest flaw over the years; massive amounts of shovelware doesn't do anything for me (or anyone, really). IF the launch lineup is impressive and IF I need two hands to count the games I want on the Switch scheduled to arrive in the year after it launches, I think I'll want it. As there's zero chance it'll be more powerful than the competition, I wouldn't play third-party multiplatform titles on it; I just want the first-party exclusive stuff. And that better come at a decent clip.

So anyway, that's where I stand now. Thoughts on the Switch? :)

Fathoms77 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 5

I love the idea but I'm more happy about the fact that a new Legend of Zelda will come out with it. Which makes me want to buy it but I don't know yet.

OMG new Zelda!!! You always have the latest news, thx!

So so awesome!!! I <3 mario too.

Yes, but as I said in the Take, that's meaningless. Nintendo has released a very similar list for every console they've made in the last 15 years. In the end, the initial pledged support obviously doesn't mean anything, as those consoles had horrid third-party support.

In other words, I have to SEE the games. I've reported on such lists too many times in the past and the results have been far less than acceptable, in my opinion. :)

But...
    I just brought a New 3DS XL for Pok├ęmon. 😪

Same...
      Or at least will be same when Sun and Moon comes out

This isn't really the same thing, though; the 3DS is purely a handheld. The Switch is their flagship system, along the lines of the Wii.

• 7d

good job

Nice going but I am too busy on gag with helping people.

It's actually supposed to be a powerful piece of gaming hardware, wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo rack up the sales.

From what I'm seeing, nowhere near as powerful as PS4 Pro or Xbox One S.

What Guys Said 11

This guy from Cracked made some compelling points as to why the Nintendo Switch is going to be a flop, like the Wii U: www.cracked.com/.../

Thats the only good thing about that, if you are in a middle of a game you can carry it with you. Now I wish they had this when were kids

It technically already existed on the PlayStation side; certain games would let you play on PS4 and then continue on Vita. Obviously, it wasn't as seamless of a transition and you needed two relatively expensive units to accomplish it, but it was certainly possible. :)

wasn't a gamer much, but the technology is awesome!

If there isn't a good pokemon game on there, something revolutionary, then I prob won't bother.

I want a good console pokemon game that is different, possibly online and maybe 3D. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Pokemon Snap.

Its not online but it has 3D graphics, its a great game, its on the N64 but you can get emulators for that with little hassle.

One of the greatest Pokemon games, especially when the grind of battling to level up starts to bore you. (I am not a grinder when it comes to games)

Well, I couldn't possibly care less about Pokemon but I understand what you mean. :)

@BaileyisDarcy what I mean is is like a game with traditional fighting.

Nintendo is still mostly for kids. I'll stick to Playstation.

Election Crap?

I don't know how I feel about the Switch. I lost faith in Nintendo from the Gamecube onwards.

I'm intrigued, and honestly while I have owned a number of different platforms which include the Wii, this new development looks interesting, however as you indicated in your take, the biggest factor to me will be both the number of games available on it and what sorts of other things you might be able to do on it, (watch movies, listen to music etc.)

Will there be a new Super Smash Bros on the Switch? If so I would buy it the first day it comes out.

Im really amped for the switch also

I like that it can be portable with a larger screen.
    I hope it comes out packed with a Zelda or Mario game in the box and costs $300 so they will get a lot of sales. I've liked Nintendo since I was like 5 or 6 and I'd like them to be successful with their new system.
    I hope they get games like Disgaea from Atlus and Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Koei on there. Or if somehow they could get Bomberman and have it WiFi or online multiplayer, that would be awesome.

Nintendo SHOULD pack games in with a new system, but no company has done that for a very long time, unfortunately. There are usually bundle options at launch but the days of basically getting a game free of charge tossed in with a new system are long gone.

I don't understand it when people feel like they need to switch to a – oh, ha ha, I didn't mean that – more mature demographic because they're older. It almost feels like they're trying to "prove" their maturity or something, but ah, whatever.

Uh, no, it means I want to play games with real plots, adult characters, intricate gameplay systems and mechanics. It's called wanting a more advanced experience.

That's like saying I choose to watch The Imitation Game instead of some animated movie because I'm trying to "prove" maturity. It just IS maturity; nobody is trying to prove anything.

I'm not talking about you in particular, just like those teens who are like "we need to be mature so let's play "Call of Duty" with lots of blood and violence", you know?

I get what you're saying here. That makes sense.

Well, THAT. I'm of the school that believes in the rating system, for one, and I also believe that just because a game is family friendly doesn't mean it's exclusively for kids. :)