12 Things That Annoy Me About Movies

I know fictional movies are meant to be fictional and things aren't meant to match up as they do in reality, but there are just moments in movies that bug me because of the reality of what they are doing or how it's being done.

1. When the driver in a movie is going along and they turn to talk to the passenger, literally turn around or fully to the side to talk to them for such a long extended period of time that there is no way they didn't hit at least one kid crossing the street. In reality we know that they aren't actually driving, they are being pulled on a trailer or on green screen, which is why they can do this, but its rarely corrected to make the driving scenes look real to the point of ridiculousness.

2. Conversely for the same reason as actors being on a trailer/green screen while driving, whenever people in movies are trying to drive, they turn the wheel back and forth from side to side. In reality, that would mean that person was weaving dangerously across a road. The scene above has the drivers both turning the wheel fully, and yet the car or fake one, does not even move.

3. The cars you see in a movie on the streets they pass tend to all be new and all clean and polished because they've been rented as such, but even in ritzy neighborhoods, there are always one or two dented up beaters and cars sitting on streets tend to be dirty from the weather.

12 Things That Annoy Me About Movies

4. Food is rarely eaten at the big family meal scene. You just see a bunch of actors pushing around the food on the plate because it's been sitting there all day and most of it isn't actually edible, but made to look camera ready. It would just be incredibly weird at a huge meal like a Christmas dinner to not see anyone actually eating anything.

5. AHHHHHHHHH! When someone is in the big fight in a restaurant scene, and they get up and they are yelling and screaming and getting loud, and NO one in the restaurant turns or says anything. The manager or staff don't come over to kick them out, no one pulls out a cell phone to record it, nothing. The rest of the crowd always just sits there as if its normal or acceptable for someone to just be screaming in front of them or next to or behind their table and they have no reaction.

6. Whenever a major city is attacked---aliens, ancient reptiles, machines, zombies, what have you, first of all, if the attack comes from space, NASA and the literally hundreds of thousands of civilians who watch the skies daily and nightly, never seem to be alert or alert enough to the attack happening even if the space crafts or aliens are slow moving and don't just appear out of thin air. It's always like the one guy in some trailer that's like, did you see this thing coming? Then its the fact that the aliens or whatever just attack and attack and military jets are rarely scrambled, police don't seem to arrive or arrive in the force something like that would garner, and in sequels the cities are all restored seemingly the same exact way they were before which is impossible.

7. Add to 6, the same cities are always attacked...London, Chicago, Paris, Tokyo, Washington, New York and San Fransisco.

8. If a movie is set in Ancient Rome, why isn't anyone actually speaking Latin or Greek, but rather they have an English accent and are speaking English? English wasn't even spoken in ancient Rome. And same thing, if we're in Egypt, today, or three centuries ago, why is everyone in the movies white and or speaking in an English accent, despite the more historical movies dealing with Ancient Africa, not yet colonized, or in modern times the percentage of non-Native Egyptians being only about 0.4% of the population. Everyone likes to say what's the big deal, but let's make an Old English film in London about London using say all Koreans speaking Korean. Yeah, we know, doesn't make sense because Koreans didn't exist in merry old England.

9. The point in movies where someone breaks out in either song or dance, and everyone knows the song, or the dance, joins in, and knows how to do it or sing it perfectly.

10. Movies where the characters have just had wild crazy sex, and they wake up the next morning or are shown right afterwards...her make-up is still perfect like it's her wedding day, and neither of their hairstyles are messy or sweaty or tousled. It doesn't even have to be a scene with sex, just waking up in the morning...you've got a head full of perfect curls and make-up on? Really?

11. When someone in a movie gets slapped hard across the face...they fly across the room. When does that ever happen? They may recoil in real life, but fly across the room? And then there are punches...I get it if we're talking about superheroes or people who in the movie clearly have fighting skills, but when a random person punches someone, the other person always goes down and is knocked unconscious. Yes, random people with no fighting skills could get lucky and land a K.O. punch, but 12 bad guys in a row...and they ALL go down helpless. And it's not just punches, its kicks too. Like one guy will get kicked in his side and he's out and can't fight back, and he's gurgling on the floor. Realistically, those blows would probably hurt, some more than others, but fueled by adrenaline, the other person would at least be able to land a few more punches/kicks on their adversary.

12. You bought a house no one wanted or you're in a hotel. Soon you find out it's haunted. The spirits and ghosts have most likely killed your dog, hurt your child, and are now coming after you. In your brilliant mind, you decide, you're going to stay in said house, no matter what. The fire, all the windows breaking, you finding out about the 22 murders there, blood on the mirrors, finding more dead animals, your kid disappearing into the closet...nothing about that says, it's time to leave??? Like honestly, what does it take?

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

Looking for something more like this in your movies? https://youtu.be/evDAi77IDhY

Totally agree! I rarely watch movies.
    Though I think 8 is good, cause even if it's less realistic I'd rather it was in English.

Here are some more that annoy me:
    - When people talk on the phone and they repeat everything the other said since we can't hear them.
    - When cars crash and they explode, that's not what happens really.
    - Everyone in movies has huge expensive houses, even if they're supposedly quite poor. Usually they'll even have a swimming pool
    - When someone just wakes up they never act or sound like someone who's just woken up

AHHHHH, that car explosion thing is ridiculous. If cars really did explode like that, they wouldn't be safe to drive. Tv shows do the expensive house thing a lot too. I always think about Married With Children and how the character Al was a minimum wage shoe salesman and his wife didn't work, and yet they had a two story house in Chicago? What?

ugly actors annoy me

LOL this is so funny! You have a great eye for these details!

You can't speak Latin it's a dead language. Closest thing we have is pig Latin and it's not the same. Also some Ancient Greek cultures wrote in Linear A not Linear B and thus we can't even read it

Continuity is my big thing - You see things like a person takes off a jacket and then it goes back to them or the jacket is still on - If the scene is filmed at different times and actor has a different hair cut or a different shaved face level.

YES! I believe it was the second X-men movie where the Wolverine was walking in the snow and looked super buff with this big bushy Wolverine beard, and the next scene he had clearly lost a lot of weight, and had this horrible set of mutton chops just tacked on his face. It was obviously filmed not in snow like two seconds before, but on a set. In LOTR, Legolas alternates between his clearly contact blue eyes, and his real brown eyes back and fourth. Titanic, there is a note on the table that's white one minute, and yellow the next. So many moments like that!

Your list is just harmless entertainment, so you know why it's happenning. The thing that bothers me about some movies and TV shows is the hidden political agenda. Feminist social engeneering, climate change lies, and global government glorification just make me angry and turn me against the actors and the people who produced the movie.

It's the same reason I don't watch movies as I used to
    + Now that understand Martial Arts, I no longer enjoy a fight scene in a , ever, it's all unrealistic.
    + I also hate perfection, whether it's houses, cars, clothes or restaurants.
    + How they show Arabs/Muslims as dirty hairy people wearing stupid ugly clothes and talk very loudly and with made up unrealistic language.

I agree with ALL of these lol. One I always hate is the fact that nobody ever says "um" in TV shows or movies. EVERYBODY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEYRE GONNA SAY? 😂😂😂

Great Take, I agree, but when it comes to language - it's hard to find actors who speak ancient Egyptian... not even in Egypt, because descendents of ancient Egyptians (Copts) are minority in their own country, due to centuries of arabization... besides, not every Copt is an actor. Such movies are mostly in English because most people understand it... English is spoken in every continent.

Some of these are a bit questionable in reasoning, but the 1st 1, the English thing and the last 1 always throws me off

Yeah, 1) always annoys me too!

I don't think 8) is an issue: obviously the characters are supposed to speak Greek or Ancient Egyptian, but this is translated for the viewer. Most Egyptians and almost all Greeks are caucasian and this was no different in ancient times. Though they can overdo it, like when Achilles (Brad Pitt) had blond hair in Troy.

"Most Egyptians and almost all Greeks are caucasian and this was no different in ancient times," Greeks yes... Egyptians, no.

As far as we know, yes they were: from DNA-research and Ptolemaic-era "realistic" portraits we know they pretty much looked like modern day North Africans, although there was of course a substantial minority of Nubian descent (just like there is today).

And many European actors can pass for a modern Egyptian if they put on a tan and have dark hair and eyes.

What Girls Said 5

You know what movie directors and producers do that annoy me, is unnecessary romantic subplots. Perfect example is Age of Ultron. In the first Avengers movie, Black widow says love is for schoolchildren, in the second she acts like she can't live without the Hulk. Joss Whedon ruined her character. They are making a black widow solo movie and if they add an unnecessary romantic subplot, I might flip a table. According to Ryan Reynolds they were going to add an unnecessary romantic subplot in Deadpool. Because apparently, a nude Ryan Reynolds is not enough to attract women to the movie. Women like creepy things like blood and gore, I don't know why movie producer the last to know this.

The last thing I go into a superhero movie thinking is... my gosh, are the two super villains going to fall in love. It's so stupid... you go into specific genre's because you know what to expect like you expect there to be scares and blood and gore in horror films, you expect sap in Rom Coms, I don't expect an action flick or super hero movie to bore me with characters trying to fall in love. HELLO, the world is ending in a few seconds... who the hell in any life/death situation is like, wonder if i have time to get him/her to like me. Ahhhh!

Especially because it's just so out place in movies where characters are trying to save the world. Love is the last thing that most people will be thinking about when the human race may just decimate and for characters like black widow, it's so out of character.

• 8d

Lol. Yes! so true. Bad guys go down with one punch. Don't forget in the after sex scenes when both people become really modest, pulling up the sheets to cover themselves or whatever. it's like, yes we we're just completely naked rolling around each other but now that it's over, you can't see my body. Fun take.

• 8d

Ha, yes!!! Or worse the ones that remain like fully clothed and hump under the covers... it's like, okay, no, no one is THAT modest in bed and if they are, I think they're doin' it wrong!

• 8d

HAHA Exactly!

• 8d

good-

I agree with you about the languages, but there are some that aren't spoken anymore, so what can be done.

Yes, but I was watching a movie recently about a French King in France... last time I checked, French is widely spoken, but yet he was English and had of course an English accent. Of course there were English nobility in France, but the character was supposedly born and raised in France, so it made absolutely no sense, as did the fact that not one character even had a French accent. At the very least, they could have done that.

But the setting is during the Old French era, which few speak now (only scholars), so it's difficult. Anyway I agree, at least the should use modern French.

Lmao these are hilarious and I agree with you.