The Truth About Reality TV

I remember all these years ago as a kid, having this long drawn out argument with my brother about how tv wrestling was so fake, and how he argued so hard against me that it was real..."see how they get hit." Of course years later, we know these are choreographed fights and though they can and do do get hurt from time to time, even die sometimes, it's not spontaneous wrestling like you would see in an actual match. Now we are at a point in time where there is a reality tv program for everything...home building, cooking, dating, random people's lives, everything, and just like my brother of yesteryear, there are still people who believe that everything they see on tv is 100% real...because it's on tv. Hate to burst your bubble but...

The Truth About Reality TV

1. Everyone is an actor/planted/fake

Whenever you see a host walk into a building and "randomly" pick someone or somebody just happens to walk by and then something happens, know that that someone has already signed a contract or been previously hired to "play the part." In case you didn't know, unless you are in a public place, typically one that is outdoors like a park or a concert, a tv production crew cannot just show your face on tv without your express permission. If you ever want to know who is really real on a show, it's those people who's faces have been blurred out because they haven't signed a contract or didn't want to appear on a show...everyone else has been contracted to be there or allowed themselves to be filmed and have typically been told how to act or react prior to any "surprises" happening.

2. Everyone knows about filming

You know how a show will come out and a few months later someone on that show will sue because of something filmed or edited a certain way. Ever wonder why those lawsuits never go anywhere? Well, it's because everyone knows they are being filmed. Contracts for these shows are extensive and require several lawyers with several degrees. Every contestant and person shown is told they may be edited in certain ways and that there are cameras everywhere filming 24/7. Here is one such example of part of a contract:

"β€œThe rights granted to Producer also include, but are not limited to, the rights to edit, cut, rearrange, adapt, dub, revise, modify, fictionalize, or otherwise alter the Material, and I waive the exercise of any β€˜moral rights.’ I understand that my appearance, depiction, and portrayal in connection with the series may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing, or of an otherwise unfavorable nature, may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation, or condemnation, and may portray me in a false light.”

3. ...and yes, everything is edited and scripted and time does not exist

Everything from the tears, to the fights, to the late night love sessions...all scripted and/or primed by producers to happen. No one is going to tune in to what a real reality show would be like: people having coffee, trimming their toenails, watching Netflix...no one wants to see what they already do in their own lives on tv. They want drama and because real drama in ones life doesn't happen every second, they script it. The producers will tell individuals that if you want more screen time, you need to do this or that or you won't be seen. Sometimes they are flat out told even before the show begins that we hired you to be the nerdy sweet guy or the bitchy girl or the controversial one.

As far as time goes, producers will often make you wear the same clothes from day to day to make editing and filming easier until they get what they want. A scene you see on tv that seems like it took place over an hour, could have taken 3 days to film, but the magic of editing and no clothing changes, makes it that one hour. Any time you see a scene going on, and cameras cut away, but like you hear voices talking...that other scene was filmed at another time.

4. Those home builders know ahead of time about the problems in your renovation house

There isn't a half ways good contractor on this planet who would ever advise a home owner to start renovating their house without a budget set aside in case of problems. You're gutting an old house...of course, there will be problems. On a show like Property brothers, they always make it seem like the home owners or they aren't aware of the problems in a house amongst other things, but they are...the application states a couple of things really like...

--must have 20% contingency budget, and $70,000+budget for renovations

--list the property you have already purchased for renovations (that's right...that real estate brother isn't actually doing much because they've already bought the house and all that showing of houses is fake since they already know which house they are going to renovate)

--must be aware certain rooms will not get touched or may be impossible to do (all that shock about a room not being done is not real, they knew they wouldn't get everything)

--must be energetic and opinionated

--must have a partner to be on the show, no singles allowed (or they must come with friend or family member)

--in 7 weeks, will only film with brothers 8-10 days that you need to be available

--most of the staging furnishings are the property of the show, and must be purchased if the owners want to keep them

Shows like Property brothers are very formulaic. The houses have already been purchased (notice how NO homeowner is ever really rejected from buying a home...b/c they've already bought it before the show began!) they already know about damages to a house and have the owners have a budget set aside (hence they aren't really surprised to find things that need serious repairs), and the home shopping on the show is totally fake because the people have long ago bought their house.

5. Producers pick the winners

Awe that's cute...you still think the judges get to pick the winners. Nope. Producers want to sell you something...they know from the first episode who they are scripting to win---usually the outgoing, bitchy, crazy, or underdog "character." You know that feeling you get midway through a show like, why are they only showing this person all the time...is not all in your head. It really isn't hard to figure out who is going to win a show...just look at who from the start seems to get the most screen time...on purpose. I mean you don't even see some contestants but a few seconds an episode here or there if they've been slated to lose.

6. They knew you were gay...addicted to drugs...and were adopted

If some kid sitting in his basement with a laptop and five minutes can track down the fact that you flunked out of college, you think a highly budget reality show hasn't already done the same? You don't just walk in the door and have an interview and you get in. You go through psych evals, they call everyone you've ever known, slept with, worked with, done..anything with...they know your police records, and they know you're gay. So all of this, I have a secret and I'm going to reveal it now, is BS. Producers have said, this is when and where and who we want you to reveal your secret to, and cry, and let's have your mom "happen to show up" that day.

7. Your job is fake

When you see someone working on camera to pay the bills, here is a reality check...all their living expenses and then some are covered whilst on the show. They may put you in a shop to film a few days at this so called job you must work, but they can then take those 2-3 days and stretch them for what seems like the entire season before you somehow manage to be fired or you "quit," because you never really worked there in the first place. Let's go back to the start...think of the logistics of having to blur out or contract out all the people to sit there where you are everyday "working" in order to film. It would be expensive and a nightmare to edit.

8. Producers create situations behind the scenes

Producers are essentially your enemy as a reality show contestant. Their jobs are to create drama for the screen, so even behind the scenes they will keep people apart, not allow you to call home or see family friends, have your cell phone, watch tv, nothing. You get off set, you are shuttled to a hotel room with no tv and no phone, where you are not allowed to leave without a chaperone until the next days filming. Not hard to imagine how some people would struggle to handle this, and then they needle these people and pull on heart strings and manipulate them further knowing you've had a conversation BTS how angry you are about your own situation off set, to get you to react on set because it's all part of the game for producers to get ratings. So you may see someone getting angry but it might not actually be at another contestant one the show, but again, the magic of editing, and anything can happen.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd like to know if there are any ex reality show people on this site. You know there's gotta be a few of those fame whores out here.

• Seriously, how do you allow people to literally have power over your entire life like that for however long to like edit your life and make you seem like a character in a bad movie. The court of public opinion these days should be enough of a warning to let you know no matter what you do or say or how it's edited, people are just going to be nasty and vicious and essentially ruin your life if you go the fame whore route... but time and time again... they do it...

Most Helpful Girl

• I already knew this all..
    My uncle works on the industry. Has been working in the industry for quite some time now and he says everything is scripted and it's all an act. There is no such thing as reality in a reality show. No genuine friendships/relationships.. Nope.
    People are very naive to fall to this.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

• I always knew they were bullshit. They're no more real than the professional wrestling you mentioned.

• It's hard to write a mytake called "the truth about..." when half the shit you wrote about isn't even true. There are definitely elements you got right, but others are just flat out wrong... also, someone already wrote this take a while ago anyways

• ... and you know it's not true based on what? You've only to spend a few minutes looking this stuff up yourself from actual contestants and producers of shows to know that most of it is true... and as far as "someone" wrote this a while ago... look around dude, how many original takes and questions... or hell, movies, and books, and magazine articles have you or anyone else on this site or the world written that had never ever been spoken of before in any context ever? Welcome to the planet!

• GEEZUS man, it's not that serious!!! You're here cursing and carrying on trying so desperately to insult me because you haven't made any real contradictions to anything I've said. It's fake reality tv. Nothing I've said here is false or made up and if you personally want to scream and punch a pillow over that, then I can't help you. I mean seriously... you're going so way overboard here over nothing.

• I can't do this...

• I work in reality television and that's not entirely true. I mean, i guess it is but the way you present it is somewhat different from the truth. producers prep the talent but ultimately the talent does what they want.

also talent is not that easily manipualted which is the conceit behind a show like unreal. if we were to do the things to them that she does maybe we'd get away with it---once. then we'd get nothing out of them. we have to give them choice or the illusion of choice. we have to care about them or create the illusion of caring abotu them. we can't simply just say do this do that they're not actors they're people albeit slightly mentally unstable people but they're people

• What you've said doesn't really go against what I've presented. A producers job is to help create drama, but they aren't just going to show up on a Tuesday and say hey guys, just do whatever, because as I mentioned, the show would be people talking over coffee and clipping toenails. They do create situations, and then yes, watch what happens, but that still speaks to my point that that is not reality. Reality would be the situation already existed as is and then we film exactly what happened and there is no cut, no edit to make it look like things happened moreso than they did or on different days, etc.

All that I have said above is based on former contestants or participants of various reality shows, not based off the purposefully fake and over the top Unreal. On that show they can kill people and get away with it which clearly wouldn't fly in a reality show... even a fake one.

• and/or a documentary

• I mean if you want to call something "reality," or reality tv, then follow it's definition which is "the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them." These shows are structured to get certain responses, to prime people to do certain things, and to cause reactions like intentionally bringing on guests ex boyfriends or bringing up things said "in secret" to incite fights and scheming.

• thanks, i enjoyed reading it. i really like these mytakes who redpill us on various things.

• I hate all of them. I never understood why they seem to be so popular? Nothing "real" about them and it's always been so obvious to me I wondered how it couldn't be to others?

• Yeah plus reality TV just isn't that great in general.

• When shows like survivor FIRST came out, I thought it was for real. I learned not too long after that that all "reality" shows are scripted so I thought why bother watching any of them anymore.

• Well, it's just like tv wrestling in that way... fans know its totally fake, but they come for those story lines like they are watching a hyper real soap opera. I mean we watch movies don't we, and we know there are no dragons and ten foot tall elves walking around too... Once your in on it, you can sort of allow yourself to believe... but yeah, no, for me personally it really is like what's the point.

• Bottom line "Reality shows are not real"

• Most people do not know about the film industry. They just watch it or go on the internet and whine about it.

• We know the "film industry" is fake. Most movies are fictional and do not pretend to be anything they aren't, but the television industry, specifically, the reality tv industry, is a lot different. There goal is to convince you through the art of a lot of tricks in editing, and a lot of fake press, that things are the way you see them on tv. People who still believe in it's truth are the same ones that are convinced that magazine covers are the way celebrities look in real life, even though there is tons of photoshop done and pounds of make-up, hair extensions, contacts.. the works that go into it.

• I prefer real emergencies in the ER, that seems a lot more credible.

• Lol yeah reality TV is not what it sounds like

• Really nice take

• Only girls watch that crap.

• I watch it for the hot girls who don't mind getting naked.

What Girls Said 2

• Ok, but how do people not know this? Lmao
    Its so obvious

• A guy from Storage Wars Canada wanted to buy my dads spaceships for $500 so he could put them in a storage locker and pretend someone left them in there.

Twenty One Pilots couldn't have said it better, "We don't believe what's on TV"

• It's so annoying and staged. I liked that Anthony Bourdain admitted on his show that any shots of them fishing usually involved a fish they'd already hooked, so after that, they would always just make fun of it... b/c it's like if you want to believe something you will, but if you want the truth, it's there if you pay attention.

• Ikr? Like people believe everything nowadays, ie. Why Trump was voted in. I don't know, the worlds so twisted nowadays

• don't even get me started on that one