Celebrities are regular people just like you and me, and don't deserve higher pay or special treatment?

Another controversial debate from yours truly :) Please try to be polite and stay on topic.

Why are celebrities paid such a high salary? Because their famous? Why are they famous? Just because they've been on a screen or a stage?

Being a musician/performer is a job. You have hours, and you are paid a fee for your time and effort. But getting onto a movie set, or the stage at a state capital only means one thing: You were better at your JOB than someone else.

In my opinion, you should receive a higher pay for being exceptional at your job. But that should NOT grant you special treatment, or ANY entitlement, and I feel their wages are way too high.

Who sets the bar for exceptional singing/acting? You, right? The "common man". And honestly, choosing the best performer it's no different than choosing a brand of soda. They all have a different style and flavor. So, exactly what makes them "better", than one person or another?

Fame is something equated to someone who has performed great deeds. How many of these "famous" people have performed great acts to benefit their fellow man? And how many of these acts occurred BEFORE their fame and fortune made them feel a need to "give back"?

Why aren't soldiers and firefighters (to name a few) being paid several thousand a week? They preform great deeds of sacrifice every day to benefit their fellow man while risking their lives, and well-being of their own families.

I don't hate or envy celebrities, I just feel that this is injustice, and I'm sure many agree and have posed this question many times before.

• I agree!
  • I disagree! (please discuss)
  • Let me see the results, and I'll comment below!
I should probably make note that I haven't had cable since I was 16. I never cared about TV. I don't even know who half of these people are, and with that fact, I can't appreciate them getting such a high pay.
I feel that all performers should get a base rate during the actual performance, and royalties should be based off of the demand for the final product (CD/DVD). Pay them more only during periods of higher demand.

Most Helpful Guy

• Entertainment brings in a shit ton of revenue, and those people are just getting their cut.

And if you think they're the ones making too much, you should see how big the piece of the pie is that the record companies/studios/sports owners are getting. They're the ones that are truly killing it

• This is a really great point that I did not consider. My BF is a music producer. He doesn't make much because he's working by word-of mouth from Craigslist. He lets the quality of his work get him business. But he has been passed up literally for not being a well-known label.

• Thanks for MH! :-)

What Guys Said 14

• Put the shoe on the other foot:

Let's say that you are the lead actor in a movie or TV show, or a solo musician, or the star athlete of a sports team. The movie, TV show, record label/concert promoter, or sports team is going to make a TON of money because of YOU and what you're bringing to the table. If you're one of the key participants, why would you not demand a high salary?

It's the same reason that CEOs or super-star engineers get paid a ton of money: they bring a lot of value and earning potential to the venture they are participating in, and they want their share.

Does that always meant that the individual is "worth" the money? Not necessarily, no. Sometimes the person isn't right for the job, or sometimes they just can't deliver on a project the way they normally do.

But look at, say, Tom Cruise. If you look at his last 20 movies, they've generated an average of about $800M-$1B each. Now, he's had a few that didn't do great in that bunch, but also a few that were mega-huge. Overall, though, his track record is excellent, and a studio and exec producer can trust that if they hire Tom Cruise and give him a good story to work with, that they'll likely make a big profit (spend $250M, gross $1B). That's $750M (gross) that Tom Cruise was heavily responsible for creating for the studio. Thus, when Tom Cruise asks for $40M (I believe that's his current quote), it's a no-brainer to pay it to him.

If you put, say, Rob Schneider in the movie in place of Tom Cruise, you could expect to make closer to $1K (that's one THOUSAND dollars), so obviously Rob Schneider's quote isn't going to be anywhere near Cruise's, because his earning potential (and thus value to the financiers) is so much less.

• It is not just in any way shape or form, however it is deserved if we consider basic economics. If they bring in x amount of wealth to the industry they are intitled to y% of it. The more money they bring in, the higher worth they are to their employer and as such, the higher y% they get in order to stay with that employer.

• I do agree with this. When they are in higher demand, yes they should get a higher pay.

• But the performance industry IS based on supply and demand. Again, performers are a brand. So in this industry, yes, it would work better to pay that way. As a whole, the service industry should make more than what they do.

• Thats the uniqueness about the preformance industry, the demand is fused to the profit and value of a person, moreso than any other industry. Purely on the basis that people the people who demand, also pay.

If you're an engineer in high demand by multiple companies, yes it will influence youe pay. But not every company can pay you because you can only do one job at a time. The nature of the entertainment industry makes this more possible than any other, hence the value in it.

Supply and demand is the backbone of pretty much anything but the proportional effect it has on a persons value is sadly, not a universal constant

• If you do the math, I suspect you'll find the average firefighter is paid significantly more than the average musician or actor.

However the band between lower paid and higher paid firefighters is not that big. The reason for that is that there are no super firefighters who can do the jobs of 10 ordinary firefighters. Every area needs its own firefighters, and they value them quite a bit.

That's very different from say, pop music. Back when only live music existed, most musicians were part timers who held down a day job. But with the introduction of recording, the market has shifted dramatically. Most people would rather listen to a recording of their favorite artists. The impact for this is that the most popular entertainers have huge value, since they provide entertainment to millions or even billions of people, while most musicians have very little value, since most people would - even when out for an evening - rather listen to recordings of stars then live performances by less successful musicians.

I'm not sure why you should really care what entertainers make, because if you don;t consume what they produce, you don't pay them anything. You suggest they should earn a cut of what they sell, and in fact, that's -exactly- how it works for established stars... and the reason they earn so much.

• One of the best lessons I was ever taught by anyone was on this topic. If they can do something you can't, they deserve what they make. Be it a doctor, lawyer, singer, or athlete. His example was Clayton Kershaw, one of the best MLB pitchers out there. He makes 30 million a year, but he can do something you can't. Can you throw a baseball that fast with that accuracy? It's capitalism. He makes what he makes because, in the market, he's the best. If people have a problem with it, they should have stayed in little league.

• I agree with a higher pay within the industry if you are better at it. It's the industry as a whole that I feel is over paid.

• Remember the risk that a lot of singers or athletes took to get there. They are less than 1% of the people that tried to get to the big leagues. They are rewarded for their risks. They made it over those that didn't. The people that didn't make it lost the gamble.

I do see what your saying though, they do get paid a lot more than the normal person is paid, which is kind of scary.

• people are not equal famous actors earned the money. economy isn't equal. rights are not equal nothing is thats why pay is not equal. if someone provides more value than you that person deserves more than you
    and actor/tress provides value to millions of people + the people in business
    no one deserves the money i earned when they provide less value

• also the truth is human life is expendable. our genes? and society programmed us to make more babies because we mistakenly beleive having children is a right. children are a privilige. society has devalued children. and many of us make them when we are in danger of lonliness, disease, death, poorness, so some of them survive. soldiers lives are expendable and no one really cares when there are 8 billion of us. you probably dont care about people already how could you its not logically possible to. we're expendable. joining the military is for fools. you fight and die for people who dont even know u exist or trully care for you. bsides america won't collapse from a military invasion it will collapse from waring with economics information and through immigration of foreigners who differ in value systems. this myth of equality is a lie. designed to rob you.

• I agree with a lot of the points you make. I can't afford kids, so I won't have them. I think having kids should be more tightly regulated. How many kids are in foster care right now waiting on good homes? I'm adopted myself, and my bio-mother is a horrible person. I've met her and quickly cut ties. I don't know my neighbors. They took one look at my Pagan accessories, and turned their noses. SO what if I don't thank Jesus every night? I still show my gratitude for the food I eat and the clothes on my back by donating and volunteering when I can. I have extra, and rather than waste it and contributing to the debt, I give to someone who need it.

• That's Awesome ! Good for you!

• Supply and demand

The demand for an A list actor is higher than the supply

The demand for a QB like peyton manning is higher than the amount of QBs like peyton manning there ar

• And in those cases, they should get a higher rate, until their demand drops.

• I fully agree with you on the music industry. I don't like most of what's played on the radio, and would choose not to listen but it's forced upon me at work and when I shop.

• That's very true. People get upset about steroids in sports affecting the outcome, but AutoTune is like steroids, meth, and a case of Red Bull all in one - it's cheating, and cheating BAD. Tons of people currently in the music business literally couldn't get work without AutoTune.

• I disagree.
    People are paid their worth. If you bring in lots of money, you make lots of money.

Soldiers don't make a ton of money because it would be impossible to pay them all millions per year.

• "People are paid their worth." - That is probably the least true thing I've ever heard you say.

• companies do do things like that, but that only really works on a B list type actor trying to make their climb.

If you need say a black man to do a role for a major box office movie, you're getting will smith or denzel washington no question. It doesn't matter what they want, this is who the director wants.

Same thing with the other A list actors like Tom Cruise and Leonardo Dicaprio. It's not just their name and talent the director is paying for.

THe name sells. Most people would see a movie with dicaprio before say someone like Hayden Christiansan

• But I'd rather watch Star Wars than... what's something Leo has been in lately? I don't care who is in it. I watch based on the plot and genre.

• not everybody can act so naturally they get paid more. actors are always in demand as there are not that many of them, is why they get paid so much. we all should know the less of something there is the more valuable it is, same thing goes with inflation

• It's a job. Not everyone can shoot straight. Not everyone can perform brain surgery. Nurses are in REAL high demand in the US right now, and my own mother struggles to make ends meet. She's a "Licensed Practitioner". She has trouble finding work because because the employers don't want to pay her less than she's worth and they don't need LP's, they need Rn's. It's crazy. She would gladly take the RN position because she needs the money! But these performers can refuse to take less.

• That was the argument. Medicine is obviously more important than entertainment.

• entertainment gives us happiness which some would say would be medicine

• Celebrities are payed a lot because people are willing to buy tickets for movies, or buy songs. And I don't think you can take money the celebrities earn and give it to firefighters and soldiers. People complain about celebrities getting rich while real heroes remain relatively poor, but nobody is willing to do anything about it. The easiest thing to do would be boycotting music and films. But is anyone gonna do that? Nope.

• I watch animated films, and money is fairly evenly distributed there. I love the concept behind "Vocaloid", because she isn't real. All the work is being done by people behind the scenes who get an even cut.

• Yeah... there's something about a real person that is more appealing than a hologram lol.

• LOL I do enjoy live action films just as much, I was just pointing out that there are portions of the industry that are relatively fair.

• The beauty of a free market is we agree to sell our labor for a mutually agreed upon price to our employers. Neither person is forced into the transaction. I think all pay is 'fair'

• Maybe you should take a look at this link...
    www.todayifoundout.com/.../

• That's an extremely fascist way of thinking.

If two people enter into a contract, why is it anyone else's business?

Do you think that people willingly pay celebs huge amounts of money if they don't think it's necessary? If you were an employer, woudl you pay someone far more than you thought necessary? Of course not. Celebs make big bucks for their employers, which is why they get paid big bucks. Don't like it? Boycott movies. Boycott music. Boycott TV.

• Celebs are paid a lot because people are willing to pay to see their movies or go to their concerts. I'd say an income basically comes down to how much money you can generate for your company and/or how much money you can save it. There are even idiots who dress up as that female insurance agent for Halloween and she's not even a movie star, but a result of pure spam-in-your-email bullshit. If millions of people will pay $14 to see a movie because some guy is in it then he'll get a nice cut.

If people have a problem with this, they should put their money where their mouths are and boycott Hollywood completely, but maybe 90% of people who complain like this will be watching Breaking Bad or whatever bullshit show later tonight, and laugh at the Geico commercials in between. They like to cherry pick and only complain about people like the Kardashians or whoever else is popular to hate, coincidentally.

People want gratification, they want it now, they want to be admired and they don't want to work too hard for it. The few that make this happen turn out to be the celebrities you might hate but most others envy. Even high school dipshits will murder some classmates so they can be on TV. People think attention is good, no matter how you obtain it. Most people who are famous don't get that way by doing good deeds but by doing something that generates interest in some way. No one really wants to hear about 3 soldiers getting killed by a car bomb. In my opinion society will keep turning to shit. Today it is songs like What Noise Does the Fox Make or Miley Cyrus being a dumb-ass... who knows what it will be in a few years.

As for the military and firefighters, they choose to do that job and it's not for the money (except maybe the firefighters). Most people with noble causes do it out of principle, not for money. I'd say that comes with the territory when you use the word "noble" like so many military proponents.

• All of the "heroes" I know DO work in the industry for the moral reward. They enjoy helping people. An EMT I know is often complaining that he doesn't make enough, and that's not why you take these jobs. It's upsetting. Why they take the job doesn't negate the worth, and they deserve more than a performer. For the record I am between jobs because I wanted more hours, and my employer refused to give me full-time, or a set schedule making it impossible to get a second job. My only source of TV and movies? Netflix. They don't put shows on Netflix until they've started to lose popularity and profits drop. I don't like any of the music played on the radio. My BF is actually a music producer. He gets $50 for each track he masters, and he works off of Craigslist. People pass his name along when they are happy with his work.

• Eh my touchscreen cut off half of my reply. My BF gets work by word of mouth, letting the quality of his work get him the business. He's been passed over because he's not a well known producer, and/or hasn't worked for/with well known musicians. The point was in producers/directors setting the bar. When the producer is better known, the actors are paid higher. Remember back in the 90's when everyone was about Wes Craven's horror films? I'd never heard of Drew Barrymore until she was associated with Wes Craven. He was "the best horror director" back then. People went to see HIS films, not the performers. I can't really recall seeing Neve Campbell in much after those films. An actor's performance IS affected by the quality of the director's skills.

• The entertainment industry is full of nepotism and friends doing favors for one another. I'd say celebrities are the ones who have the right combination of everything at the right time... they can generate a lot of money but it's not usually from their own doing. Conventional jobs do this too, like having strong references on a conventional job application... but you still have to prove yourself

• They're paid high salaries because you're willing to buy the product that they pump out... It might be a sports game, a song, a movie, etc. If you and a million other people drop $20 on the product then there is plenty of money to go around.

• I personally don't. I wait until it's in the bargain bin, or I borrow it. And I have Netflix. Need I even express how Netflix decides what to offer?

• Even if you pay next to nothing for something, it's the power of numbers... When you move product you make money. If it's a deal and you have good distribution you'll probably make even more money just because it's a deal. They have a product that moves, so they make lots of money. That's fair game in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with people being successful.

• I wait until it costs what I feel it's worth. The bargain bin is generally 2 for $7.

What Girls Said 11

• Depends on what they're famous for. For instance, an actor who is famous because they are so talented likely deserves to make a lot of money. A lot of our celebrities got famous by being good. However, it is true that that isn't the case for all of them. Many are famous simply because they were lucky, or happened to have some affiliation with a famous person, which then made them famous.

Another issue with saying they don't deserve it is the way capitalism functions. Sports stars get payed crazy amounts because a lot of people watch their games, and pay for merchandise and tickets and all sorts of stuff. Consumerism in action. According to capitalism, if they didn't "deserve" the money, they wouldn't be able to make as much anyhow. However much they can make fairly, that's what they get.

So it's very much debatable. Many celebrities aren't just regular people, in that they have something special about them that gives them the capacity to earn tons of money. Thus, because they are able to earn it, they deserve it.

But really, regardless of "deserve", I don't think anybody actually needs to be making as much as many people in the US are. I mean, the imbalance of wealth is a little bit very ridiculous. Honestly, I don't think anybody really *needs* to be making more than maybe a million dollars or so per year (for personal use), so I definitely do think taxes on them ought to be a whole damn lot higher.

• I agree with this. And yes, there are portions of capitalism that I don't agree with, but at the same time, it gives us the freedom of choice. I am a black sheep. I would hate being forced to mainstream my tastes.

• Yup. Capitalism ain't all good, but it keeps people happy and it works well enough. This is just one of those things you've gotta deal with if you want to live in a capitalistic, consumer-driven society.

• You can't really say that they don't deserve higher paying jobs in that case no one does. They're jobs are valued more.

It's like saying someone that works at McDonald's should make as much as a doctor...

As for attention and special treatment that's really up to us to decide how we treat them. We give them their fame.

And honestly I believe it's well respected and earned and they are still normal people as well as you and me.

And we do tend to invade their space/personal life and take it over the top. But at the same time they knew what they signed up for that's just the price of fame.

• People try to make as much money as they can which is why regular folk are always looking for a promotion. The more talent and popularity they have the higher the demand for them is. As we know if you're one of the few (good actors/singers/entertainers are few and far between) that can supply a certain demand you can charge as much as you want

• And I feel that those who are in higher demand can ask for higher pay. But when they're not in such high demand, they should be reverted to some kind of a base pay. You won't want to see the same actor in every movie, so eventually, someone new will come along and take that higher paying position. That's how we could keep it fair.

• And that's fine. I disagree with the initial payment being so damned high.

• You have to take into account how much money movies, music, tv, etc makes for the people who create them. It would be immoral If the actual talent didn't get a nice slice of that.

• Um, maybe you should try acting before you say they shouldn't get paid a lot... It's very long hours, (12 hours at a time is usually the minimum) If a scene is shot outdoors then you have to think of weather conditions (a lot of spring/summer scenes are actually done in the winter with frigid temperatures). Sleep is just a luxury. It's really tiring too... not just anyone can act. It's not just one take and that's it... one short scene takes hours to make... It's another reason why I don't want children, There will be times I'm gone from weeks or months at a time.

Learn before you talk about things you don't know.

• Actors in a community theater do not get paid the same as Hollywood movie actors. I never said they didn't deserve to paid, or not to be paid a lot.

• Well I don't know much about theater, but I know that in film, they are paid per movie/show, and each director gives different amounts. To say that all directors should give all actors the same amount is very unrealistic. Think of it like working at retail... Walmart and Target have a lot of the same stuff, but Target pays you more... but you are doing the exact same thing walmart workers are doing at a lower pay.

• It's just life, it may not be fair, but this is the world we live in

• We make them famous. We hear their music or see them on TV and sensationalize them ourselves. Then pictures of them are worth thousands. Its all a result of our own doing. When you pick up a magazine, you perpetuate this. When you watch E news, you perpetuate this. When you watch Keeping up with the Kardashians, you perpetuate this.

That's just how it is. Same thing with athletes. Why do they get paid so much? Its not just that they're good, its that we hold entertainers to a very high esteem.

• Exactly and that's my point and problem. WHY do we do this? They just regular people!

• There's something special about a face and name that 85% of people know, I guess.

• I agree completely. I feel that actors and actresses have become entitled dickweeds and bitches just because they are famous for saying a few lines in a script. Now, I do not feel this way about all actors and actresses. Take Daniel Radcliffe and the cast of the Harry Potter films. They have been in 8 films. EIGHT very long, very hard to produce movies. And they have stuck with them since the beginning. They have shown dedication, a willing to work very long hours to produce these films, and aside from that, they are very charitable people.

Still, that does not entitle them to godlike treatment.

The same thing goes for singers as well.

• Well, keep in mind that they didn't start out as "dickweeds". It's the entitlement. Even doctors can become rude and self absorbed. The argument here is also about the rate of pay/privilege.

• simple! because thy hv a special skill tht makes thm t b treted speciAl wth people or hospital or whtevr, i also agree wth xtra paymnt, look at ur childhood while studyng nd c if u really dsrve an xtra paymnt or nt! veel geluk!

• They're paid a lot because people buy their stuff. If you don't want them to have your money, don't buy it.

• in a way yes

• Sorry sweetie, but not everyone is equal.
    If you don't want celebs to make money then don't watch movies
    Nobody will stop watching or buying movies. People like entertainment

• They're paid that much because people are wiling to pay them? Who do you think is paying for their salary? We are when we go see that mkvie or turn on the tv

• Every time you buy a bottle of Coke, Coke earns about $2 US dollars. But can you tell me what "single" rate "each" TV star gets? NO, because there isn't one. Some stars are paid way more because they refuse to take less. If I refused less, Id be without a job. Because I'm not famous.

• Because you're replaceable and no one cares to see you

• And that's fine, I'm not trying to get famous, but no actor stays "wanted" forever. They shouldn't be paid more for being well-known. They should be paid a falt rate, and only more if they are in higher demand.