Do you find it hard (er) to watch movies that were filmed using technology that is significantly older than you are?

I've always found it noticeably difficult to watch some of the old "classic" movies because I get distracted by the camerawork, storyline presentation (it WAS done differently back then), (by modern standards) sub-par special effects, lack of color, lack of movement etc. Generally I find that the oldest movies I can watch comfortably (regardless of how good the storyline is) are ones filmed within 10 years of the year I was born.

Many of my peers seem to feel the same way as well, as I've never had one of them pipe up with, "Hey, let's watch Bonnie & Clyde" when we're trying to select a movie to watch.

Any of you ever experience this?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a respecter of visual arts, I'll watch anything as long as good thought process has gone into each story line, script, and shot.

I love the movies from the 40s' till the 60s'.

What Guys Said 3

• Not at all some of the greatest films ever made were filmed during in the early to mid 1900s. Casablanca is a great example arguably one of the greatest love stories ever filmed and it was filmed in 1942 using tech way older then I am. Another classic is it's a wonderful life.

• nah i can still enjoy ghost busters hahahaa

• I've never had any problem watching old classics. The way they were made is part of their charm. You're watching history in a way.

What Girls Said 1

• I love seeing puppets and claymation in some older movies.
    But some of the REALLY old movies take some time to adjust to (for me)
    There are significantly fewer close ups and view changes in black and white movies. Most of the plots I just can't get into. Acting was more theatrical and less realistic back then too (look it up). Not to mention more sexist and racist. The action is never very dramatic, 'thrilling' scenes are boring (one scene I'm thinking of in particular is the plane crash scene from North by NorthWest), and don't even get me started on the romances! No one kisses another person by mashing their mouths together as hard as possible and then not moving for a few seconds. All the risque things like that (you couldn't really show 'making out' back then) that they couldn't show makes it less realistic. Like they're robots.
    I definitely understand the whole 'less is more' 'it was a different time' 'its the best they could do' 'its classic' stuff, but putting that sense of nostalgia behind movies now are just better. Of course there are exceptions, I LOVE the original Lord of the Flies, the Birds..
    But nothing can beat an awesome action flick mixed with a modern sense of humor and some pop culture references with the most realistic graphics possible. Could you imagine a person from the 40's seeing a movie like Avatar? Or Transformers? Or Jurassic Park? It would blow their fucking mind.

• i look at film over the years as a learning experience. For instance, some of the earliest silent movies had one master camera and that was straight ahead. The reason was that while film was a new technology, those versed in drama (directors, actors, etc) were trained in the stage theater. Hence the initial forays were more or less just filming stage performances.
      Then came the overlapping technologies. While B&W was still largely the visual format, Gone With The Wind used the newer mode of Technicolor. And the way TC worked was to enhance the atmosphere, such as the redness of the scene where Rhett kisses Scarlet on the bridge. Still other films went on with B&W.
      Then of course came special effects, and those who explored it were innovators indeed. To this day the parting of the Red Sea in The Ten Commandments is widely regarded as the most spectacular composite special effects sequence ever. Still, overlapping techs. The original Manchurian Candidate c.1962, was BW for effect.

• I know bullshit bullshit... but i'm tired and on a roll. Sound, you mention the Birds, one of an almost miniscule number of movies employing no musical soundtrack. Hitchcock apparently wanted the story to tell itself without the manipulation that can be music. If there was background music it came from radios that were part of the plot. On top of that, Hitchcock used special effects sound to create the surreal chirping noises when the birds were around. So while some of the older films may show some clunkiness, the stark truth is that films like Avatar and Jurassic Park simply could not have come into existence without the innovations woven throughout all films of the past century+.