"The Lego Movie" or "Toy Story"?

I may draw a LOT of "Whaaaaaat?"s, but I say "The Lego Movie", but let me explain. Yes, people have grown up with "Toy Story" since 1995, but people have grown up with Lego since 1940; it's a movie about toys in the purest form, and not to mention that it works fantastically for a movie that aims to get kids to buy Legos more than anything (heck, a lot of adults wanted to buy Legos after seeing it). It's not just one of my favorite animated films, but it's also one of my favorite comedy films: it's the funniest movie I've seen in a while, mainly because everyone can enjoy it like they can't with the funny, but too-many-in-quantity R-rated comedies.

Don't mistake me, "Toy Story" is among the BEST film series ever made, but starting the creation of computer animated films doesn't automatically mean that there can't be better ones, in my opinion.

• "The Lego Movie".
  • "Toy Story".

Most Helpful Girl

• still love toy story more =]

Most Helpful Guy

• I really like both, and my liking of the Lego toys predates my first viewing of "Toy Story" back in the 90s, but I still have to go with "Toy Story".

Besides basically being kind of like the "Jurassic Park" of animated movies at the time --- as you already mentioned about the use of new technology that would go on to hugely influence the medium --- I feel that it also has the more unique plot and a more compelling protagonist compared to "The Lego Movie".

Granted, "The Lego Movie" has that 'big twist', but really, I think most older audiences should have seen that coming well before they got to the end, lol. It's very cool, no doubt, but not exactly groundbreaking for a story about toys (though I had a blast watching that twist in theaters). Secondly, I get that it's exactly the point that Emmet is supposed to be the 'generic hero' and go through a 'generic-underdog-hero-saves-the-world story', but even still, Woody (with his fears of being obsolete, discarded, replaced, and unloved) and his ensuing misdeeds and redemption character arc are just more compelling and interesting for me to follow.

• @TylerKuykendall Thanks for MHO, man!

I dunno; it's just that 20 years later, I'm still laughing about that random shark in the toy box: "Look! I'm WOODY! Howdy howdy howdy!" xD

Maybe in 20 more years, I'll still be laughing about Wyldystyle and everybody thinking she's a DJ too. :P

What Girls Said 3

• Toy story, hands down.

• Toy story the Lego movie was dumb as hell

• toy story all the way.

What Guys Said 6

• Never understood the toy story craze. The first one was enjoyable enough I supose.

The Lego movie though really impressed me. They managed to make a silly fun film which the kids can enjoy, and crammed in lots of their different product lines for the company to enjoy, and made it look really good, and put in lots of emotion, and had a plot which spoke to people about HOW you play with toys.

• WHAT... No competition here. Toy Story all the way for me. Character development and story alone trumps The Lego Movie.

• Toy story hands down!

• the toy story movies were great

• Gotta love Toy Story

• I say The Lego Movie but I may be biased. :)