GAG'ers who are into reading: would you rather go for a fiction book (novell) or a scientific book?

With scientific book I mean just any subject, as long as it's not fiction: from a tourist guide on a destination, over a history book, a biography, or any book on a "popular subject".

Personally I'd rather go for the scientific book... as many will know my passion is aviation so that would probably be the subject.

From time to tike I like some fiction, preferably a thriller!

• Rather fiction
    83% (19)62% (5)77% (24)Vote
  • Rather science or "popular subjects"
    17% (4)38% (3)23% (7)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
9|7

Most Helpful Girl

• Both. Fiction is what made me fall in love with reading and I still continue to read fiction the majority of the time, but I do read non-fiction once in a while depending on if the topic interests me. I read Marilyn Monroe's biography and it made me not idolize her anymore. Her life was actually depressing as fuck. I read a lot about nutritional science for some reason, books like The China Study, The Great Starvation Experiment, 80/10/10, The Starch Solution, and things like that.
    I do love non-fiction because I love learning, but I read as a means of escape I guess. Not that my life is boring or anything lol I just think living in a world with hobbits, vampires, werewolves, elves, dragons, and magic would be a lot more interesting.

0|0
    0|0
    • Haha that sounds like a great plan for an expirement :D
      Find yourself some nice werewolves and vampires and go for it!

• This nice & detailed answer brings the MH to Canada :D

• haha Canada for the win :) thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• Aside from my own personal interests like philosophy, art etc, I much rather prefer fiction most notably the work of Raymond Chandler, one of my favorite authors.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• I have a policy where I avoid fake stuff - this means no movies unless the movies are based on true stories, inspired by true events, about true events, or teach an inspirational moral message so I chose science and popular subjects. Before I started saving up for school I used to go to the bookstore everyday to read books in the psychology, religion and mental health section. I also enjoy traveling books and art history books but fiction bores me.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh wow, you have some options than, lots of books available about those subjects :D

• I go for fiction. I don't really enjoy reading non-fiction, though I do have to for class. But, away from uni, I like to read something that isn't realistic :)

0|0
    0|0
    • I have this weakness for realistic stories even if they're fiction.
      My favourite book and movie is Apollo 13... it happened in reality but it's a perfectly dramatized story.
      Or "the longest day", about D-day. Such stories either in a bood or movie I like a lot :D

• I only read travel destinations books and "where to or what to do" some sort like that kinda books. I mostly prefer fiction, contemporary preferably.

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh yeah that choice would be a fairly good one for me as well :D

• I like fiction but historic and scientific books hold my interest for longer because I know it's real and it actually happened so finding things out is more shocking, plus you learn new things. I don't read often though.. only write.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I've read some well written things from you :D
      You'll one day have your books in the bookshop!

• I use to loved fiction. But nowadays I find myself reading all non fiction. I'm in love with surgery so I read books based on surgeons or med students experiences and biographies. Does that count as science? :P

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh I see... tell me what a triple bypass would look like... blood all the way I guess?

• This is a really good explanation that I found really interesting but is in no way my own words...

The surgeon attaches (grafts) a blood vessel taken from elsewhere in the body to the diseased heart artery, rerouting blood around the blockage in the same way a road detour re-routes traffic around road construction. A double, triple or quadruple bypass refers to the number of heart arteries that are bypassed.

www.irishheart.ie/.../cabg.gif

• Scientific books. I used to prefer fiction though.

0|0
    0|0
    • And looking back do you see it as a "change for the better"? Or would you rather revert to fiction?

• I would think so. I can't bring myself to continue with the fiction book I've started that I got as a gift.

• Oh yeah, than it's clear :D

• Rather go with fiction

0|0
    0|0
  • Fanfic, not really a fan of it but I despise sci-fi

0|0
    0|0
    • Sounds good! Fortunately we all have different preferences otherwise "that book" would be sold out after 5 min :o

• Exactly 😊

What Guys Said 6

• ... A mix. I read more non-fiction (technical manuals, history, phillosophy, theology) but then that blurs when you get into mythology...

I do enjoy a good bit of well developed fiction though. Dune or Gormenghast for instance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fiction all the way.

It's much more adventurous and the choices are very broad.

0|0
    0|0
    • Oh yeah look at your average bookstore or library... endless choice :D

• Finished an very intresting biographic book about Marthe Robin, she lived a remarkable live. Now I am reading a philisophic book.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like fiction, and historical books

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a big fiction fan; real life is so much more interesting.

0|0
    0|0
  • genreally fiction but i also like non fiction such as sports scince topics

0|0
    0|0