Why Europeans get so mad if Americans call “football” as “soccer”?

I saw a question about football (American) season getting started … and happened wot I was afraid of…. some people goin all over makin smart comments of da type “it’s not real football”

Or when another guy here (European) mentioned “soccer season has started” some other European GAGers corrected him sayin “u mean football”

My point’s y people make such a thing a big issue…it’s just a name of a sport. Will this sport change wether’s called football or soccer? No!

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha I don't care... to someone from the USA I'd normally say soccer to avoid confusion.
    No problem to me :D

What Girls Said 4

• Because football started in the UK and American football is completely different. Because foot + ball = makes sense... and what the fuck is soccer making sense of? Because American football is called rugby with a little different rules, also a sport from the UK. It's not a big issue at all, at least not for me but that's the logic behind it that makes some people angry.

• It's a really hard habit to break. Seriously ever since I met my boyfriend who is portuguese. I've tried to stop calling it soccer. Since that's all you ever hear growing up. A lot of times it slips.

Though the term soccer was created by the British. Then we started using it and then nobody else did.

• does he get mad if u call it "soccer"?

• Not really. Just things it's dumb that Americans call it soccer in the first place.

• The real name of what you call "soccer" is "association football," as there are many codes of football: association football, gridiron football, American football, Canadian football, Australian rules football, Gaelic football, rugby football...

The word itself originated in the UK, and it refers to any sport that involves using the feet to kick the ball to score a goal

• It would be better if we called the different codes of football by their names, to avoid confusion and discussion.

• Soccer <3 <3

Yes, I'm a SOCCER player!!

*this had the intention to annoy people*

What Guys Said 10

• I suppose because football was invented in the UK and globally football is called football almost everywhere except america. Even in non English speaking countries, It's probably because logically it makes sense to call it "foot" "ball" since you use your feet and a ball.

It used to annoy me but American English of course has differences so it's to be expected. Heck, many words have changed definitions completely over time, a "geek" used to be a reference for a circus act freakshow in it's original context. I expect the differences and don't make a big deal about it.

I guess I'm more irritated when people try to redefine words though but otherwise i'm quite fine with it

• It's called football because unlike other sports invented around the same time, this one was played on foot as opposed to on horseback.

• because pride

• Do they? Fug'em.

• When you play the sport with your feet it just seems appropriate to call it foot ball. What if they started calling basketball barrelball it's just stupid, there are no barrels involved in the sport but there are baskets.

Personally I don't really care cause wow it's just words. But uh yea.

• Especially since the word comes from "association football" to distinguish it from "rugby football". So it's a British term, for crying out loud!

• Misunderstanding between different but similar cultures/nations though neither realizes it.

• I don't really know but they need to get a life. Every country has there own way of saying things just like some countries have their own way of believing in god.

• Makes no sense since Europeans started calling it soccer first

• Because they're salty the real football is in the land of the free

:D

• This European doesn't. But football is its proper name... not a pussy sport like gridiron.