Is the entertainment industry losing its touch?

I realize that animation is a big part of a movie and nowadays animation is really good, but if you really think about it, if you take out the big explosions, epic fight music and animation, you've sometimes just got a shitty movie or TV show. Now, there are still some really good directors out there, but does anyone else agree that the entertainment industry is not trying as hard as it could? I mean, haven't seen a movie that I was astounded by since the Dark Knight...

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope you're just not looking hard enough and there are way better movies than The Dark Knight that came after it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of today's movies are incredibly generic and won't really be loved and remembered decades from now. Granted, the movie industry has a lot of competition with television and video games and just random screwing around on the internet, etc.

However, it's pretty obvious that instead of trying to make something great that might be a bit more niche, they would rather try to cater to every possible age and gender group, which leads to incredibly formulaic and generic movies. They overly rely on soulless CGI, abandoning practical effects that still get the job done today.

Few original screenplays are ever green lit. Just about everything coming out is based on another form of medium or it's just a remake or a sequel/prequel. As a horror fan, I've basically seen Hollywood remake the entire horror library from the 80s and about 95% of the remakes are worse than their originals.

All you read about now is how whenever something seems to be on a decent track, it gets completely tampered with by the studio and it's never for the better.

It's getting really bad.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 5

• The entertainment industry has been losing its touch for years. They have essentially been approaching entertainment as a factory, they try and bang out the same thing over and over until it stops making money and then move on to the next thing. They try to shove a love story in to get the female audience, action for the men and end up disappointing both. The industry is run by businessmen not writers/directors/entertainers so the only thing they care about is money not the story not the quality, as long as your paying they could care less how bad it is.

• I'm not sure the entertainment industry as a whole is losing its touch (such as gaming), but the film industry seems a little saturated (mostly superheroes) right now and audiences could be growing a little tired of it I guess. The Dark Knight was an exceptional film though and really raised the bar.

• That's because most screenwriters suck balls. I mean really, you need a real PLOT for a movie to work; even if it's difficult to establish a new world and characters and have them do something and have it end in 90-120 minutes of screentime. People write short stories all the time, why would making a movie with a decent plot be so difficult?

But seriously, watch Shutter Island, you need to watch that movie.

• I'll try! Is it on Netflix?

And I watched an incredible movie last night! Catch Me If You Can.

• Stuff costs so much to make (and market) now that it's too much at stake to take risks. Stuff (and this is games too) is either AAA huge budget, or indie. No middle ground.

• Not at all. Everything is same. You probably think that past was awesome. It's only because you remember only good things. In future we will think that this time was awesome & we will remember only good things from current time. Truth is in past there were equally shitty things as we have now. We just don't remember most of it.