Do you think football is overrated?

It's a bunch of stupid, overgrown manchilds hitting each other.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will agree that American Football is overrated.

I love watching the NFL and I love my team, the Cincinnati Bengals. But in reality, it's a puny 16 game season and the game is more of a quarterback show than anything.

I like baseball better but football is my second favorite sport.

What Guys Said 52

• Football is in the Top 3 things that make me want to be alive. I played my whole life, up until just a few years ago. To me, it's the perfect game: violent, intense, deeply strategic, fast, graceful... it's fucking amazing. I have such a hard time watching non-contact sports. If laying someone out isn't one of the main points of a game, it doesn't hold my interest long. That's the purest form of human competition: who puts who on whose ass. When people say it's just a bunch of big dumb guys running into each other, they're not really watching and understanding the game. There are 11 men on each side of the ball. With every play, there are individual battles going on, every man has to take care of his own assignment and win his individual battle in order to run a successful play, for the most part. The strategy going on, especially at the pro level, can be very, very advanced. It takes a lot of work to craft a game plan against an opponent. So many individual matchups are considered, you look for weaknesses to exploit, you try to find ways to cover up for and overcome weaknesses for your own team. It's so much more than what the uninformed spectator sees. It's not just: run a play, get tackled, huddle up, run another play, get tackled, etc, etc. There's so much strategy and deception, and of course working with or around the skill sets of the players. It's really a very intellectual game behind all the physical speed and strength.

• What are the other 2 things?

But I don't share your view that a sport must involve physical violence to be interesting.
      In tennis for example which is one of the least violent sports, there's no physical contact other than the hand shake at the end.
      However it's a sport where you must beat your opponent to win, there's no time limit and it could theoretically go forever. That makes it different from many other sports. The level of mental toughness and physical fitness it requires is unmatched by any sport. It's a race to a certain score line and the closer the match is, the further away that line gets. It's great stuff.

• @sexualchrist I can't even describe the rush that gives me. So while I appreciate and respect the skills and athleticism of the athletes in other sports, they just don't deliver that big KO moment that I'm looking for.

• I see. It is pretty cool when stuff like that happens

• It's a lot more nuanced than that.. It's like a game of chess each play. Every single play in a football came can change the outcome of the entire game. You don't see that stuff in other sports much. Usually most sports are about momentum and building up to the climax of the goal or point scored but in football it's just anything can change instantly. It's a nail biting experience. This is why I love watching tennis too. It may not be a contact sport but anything can change the outcome of the game every second.

Anyway Go Pats!

• Overrated? Yes!

That is why I have yet to watch a game, either televised or in person.

• I'm not really a big fan of American football either but no offense, what you have written here makes you look pretty ignorant. Actually it categorizes you by the very definition of ignorant.

If you've never even seen it, you don't have the moral authority to say it's overrated.

But I have seen it and it is.

• - My college Alma Mater is of course dipped in football as well. The university is quite proud to have college ball return to a stadium on campus. They are also playing host to our pro team during construction.

- Each local television news report devotes a portion of their coverage to sports. In the fall that coverage is dominated by football. High school football, college football and pro football all receive their coverage.

- Every general merchandise store you go in is selling something bearing NFL and NCAA licensed apparel or other items. At the start of the season, the things are prominently featured in the store.

All this over a little brown ball that is not even round. I don't actually need to watch a game in its entirety to see that our culture is obsessed with this game. It takes an act of will on my part to minimize my exposure as it is. In the fall, football as a cultural force fairly drips from the sky, in registered team colors, of course.

• Fair enough

• I guess by football you are meaning Gridiron. I like Rugby much better.

• I don't care for sports at all. But don't oversimplify it: sports encourage exercise, teamwork, health, and even realtime strategy. Sure, a lot of jocks are meatheads. But to be fair, while they may lack wisdom, they don't lack intelligence or ambition. It's hard to do all your homework when you're exhausted from all that practice!

• I don't like it, and I don't watch it. I'm more annoyed by the fans and constant advertisements than I am by the game.

• It's not more stupid or immature then any other sport like rugby which is virtually the same thing, I like playing it though, it's a great father/son way to bond here, and it's just overall fun to play, I used to play it all the time in high school with my friends and if that makes me a manchild hitting other manchildren well I guess that's what I am -shrugs-.

• I never been a Football fan , i can't understand the sport but i can't put
    people down who like it cause that's their preference and my dad was
    the same way but my dad's brothers both were Football fans i support
    my home team but that's about it but having mental challenges it's hard
    for me to understand Football.

• I think it is overrated but there's more to it than you think.

It doesn't flow enough for my liking though and it's not something that holds my attention very long. I prefer the other football codes like association football, Australian rules football and the various forms of Rugby.

• Yeah, I don't like sports, or at least watching them. Unless they do something fascinating, which they most of the time don't.

• I wouldn't say overrated, I would say I don't fully understand the Fandom that many have for the sport. But it's not overrated. Humans are awesome creatures that can do great things, which include physicall feats. That's why the olympics is a big deal.

• Au contraire, my dear. Football (American "pigskin") has leadership and strategy, beyond brute force.

It also has an element of teamwork.

You can have a team of superstars who don't play together, and lose.

You can have a team of mediocre players who play well together, and win.

I am by no means a "jock", but I have learned to respect the strategy and leadership required for (American) football.

• Of course it is.

• the only thought people from the outside world have of the NFL is it is a girlie game. For they wear pads and helmuts.

Come play rugby or Australian Rules if you like a mans game
    https://youtu.be/-bCWkfUuYKk

• It's actually far more complex than that. It's about structure and technique. Competition and honor. Goals (not to score points) and training. It's really not just a sport, it's a lifestyle. It's not about about of guys just hitting each other, that's hockey. I played football for many years (never professionally or even in college) there's a lot more to it than the tackling you see on the field. You have to maintain certain levels of everything involved for the entirety of your career. Though professional football has really taken a turn for the worst, the game itself is something much more than "overgrown manchilds hitting each other."

• Springtime of Youth or whatever fuck you jk not dead long who ya gonna call home home on the range go go gadget go go power rangers.

Out of Random Access Memory. System restarting

• Sadly most school funding goes to high school or college football games. Schools drop things like art class because they can't afford it but they can spend a thousand dollars each on every football jersey and two thousand on each dance team member's outfit and three thousand for each cheerleader outfit. Meanwhile in History and Science class students are using outdated textbooks from 1840 that are covered in mold and mildew.

• American football yes, real football (the one where you actually use your foot) no.

*waiting for downvotes*

• Someone will correct you for using 'real football' and tell that it's called soccer 😂😂😂😂

• Correcting would actually be saying the official name is Association Football or FĂ»tbol. While the official name for American football is... Football lol. So it makes sense to separate the two, by Football and FĂștbol.

• Lol love football it's not simple 3-4 4-3 schemes cover three, cover 2 man coverage, press coverage a lot of strategy

• Not at all lol i'd say it's underrated :)
    Is someone on your side watching and turning up over the opening season game?

• It's not the description u give it, but I think it's overrated. Too many people (couple million I don't know exactly) watch it for the sport it actually is.

• I do now, yes. I used to love football, but now Im just sick of it. I'd rather go rock climbing or do something fun on Sundays.

• From a former ( amateur ) boxer & martial art fan & practitioner... then yes. Are you referring to US Gridiron ( which is bastardized Rugby ! ) or what the rest of the world call football... soccer? Either case I'm a combat sport fan !!

• Lacrosse. Enough said.
    Lol, but seriously football is a fun sport to watch if you understand the strategy behind it. A lot goes into even a single play, so don't go calling them stupid.

• Well what sport are you into?

• Amer. Football IS THE BEST EVER!!!

So is rugby and basketball.

• So this site is American. Good to know. (Just got here)

And to answer your question (From a Brit),
    I've actually tried watch your American Footie and it's confusing as ****.
    All I gotta say you guys love a weird sport and it's definitely overrated.
    But I also see football (soccer) overrated as well but I still love the sport so kudos to y'all

• I'm not a football or any other sport fan or movie fan. If at all, it would be something that helps me to take a break from the real world worries. And nothing more.

• I don't really like to watch it. I'd rather play it though

• Nope. Football is a great sport. And you fail to realize the chess match that goes on each game.

• More from Guys
    22

What Girls Said 16

• No, I don't think so. It's a sport just like any other. I like the competitive nature and it's very entertaining and engaging to watch, unlike other sports that bore me to tears. There's actually a lot of strategy involved as well, so, it's not just men "hitting each other." People who don't fully understand the sport or the rules may think that though.

• Yessss!!! It sooo iss!!! Thank God! Someone who understands mee! It makes guys violent, aggressive and crazy! Nothing good comes from football anyway.
    Oh wait. American football, u mean? I actually love American football. It's way more entertaining than soccer. And my reaction above was for soccer hehe :p

• lol! that's kinda how my aunt describes it. i like footy though.

• xD heh okay tbh I don't pay much attention to football, however people can like what they want. Football isn't for everyone and for some people it may seem what you just described—but for some people it is life 0.0

• Yeah, definitely. I hope in a hundred years or so, it'll be a dead sport.

• Rules to football.

1. Throw a ball
    2. Catch the ball
    3. Run and try not to get killed
    4. Slam into each other like idiots
    5. Repeat for 3 HOURS!

• How can you think they are overgrown man child's? Those are possible some of the most focus and determined men there are. A stupid person wouldn't be able to memories each formation or play. So no I don't think it's overrated at all !! I love the sport and everything that goes with it. Parties, tailgates, fantasy football, preseason and draft day!!

• And for those of us non-americans: it's just 22 guys running around one single ball. Oooh the testosterone!

• not at all! Everyone likes different things, lots of people love it haha I'm not a huge fan, but it can be entertaining! is just depends on every person. Maybe you like things that others find overrated, so I think you can't generalise. Thats my opinion :)

• It's completely overrated. Baseball is where it's at. 😍 dem booties.

• eww hoe

• How does that make me a "hoe"? I enjoy looking at athletic men who have nice backsides? If you've ever thought a guys abs or arms were hot it's the exact same thing. Don't go around calling people "hoes" it's rude and disrespectful.

• Upvote for the baseball vote! Can't say I agree on the bootie comment though haha.

• That's what makes it so great!

• To me it is.. to football fans it isn't.

• Oh and it's not to football players as well as the people who make tons of money with that sport.

• If you think like this then most of the games are stupid and overrated ✌️

• And WAY over paid...

• totally agree!

• Oh.. you mean the dumb version of football. Yes, I agree, it's really overrated.