Is this picture I Drew of my Girlfriend flattering?, how would you feel being sent this?

How would you feel about receiving this?
(yes I know the paper isn't the best but it is the only paper in my apartment I had and i only had a mechanical pencil to draw it)

Also if you want to suggest any shadings or details to make it better for it it would be appreciated

Most Helpful Girl

• I would appreciate the gesture.

Sometimes you don't need to shade. Minimalism can look good, like this portrait. There's not shading, but they darkened the hair, eyebrows and glasses to show contrast.

http://i.imgur.com/qNFeUG0.jpg

But if you wanted, you can try darkening the outside, to make her pop out more. Also darken certain places, not too much though. Thinner lines for the facial features, like her nose and upper lip, but maybe darken just a bit underneath the bottom lip to add some shadow.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not horrible, but it could use some work. I would refrain giving it to her just yet until you are sure it is the best you could possibly make it.

Human faces are very difficult to draw. Here's what I would suggest working on...
    1.) Eyes. You seem to be suffering very slightly from the "eyes are look like football" mentality. What I mean by that is that they look slightly awkwardly shaped. Try picturing the eye as a sphere and the eyelids as just parts covering the sphere.
    Also on the eyes, it is really defined more than the rest of the picture. The extra outline on it makes it stand out a bit awkwardly.

2.) Contrast. You are also suffering from contrast issues. Feel free to really define dark and light in it. The problem is that it is all pretty one color. You need to really draw out the shading and at the dark textures to make them darker.
    Where is the light coming from-- what direction? How does the light hitting her face affect the shadows? Does the left side of her hair look the exact same color as her right? Are each of her teeth the same color? Are the eyes REALLY that dark compared to the rest of the face and body? Where are the highlights (the shine of the lights or white spots)? Where is it pitch black? Those are some things to consider.

3.) Shading. Here is a big thing. You are missing shading on the clothing, throughout the hair (see point 2), on the side, the neck, and for sure the nose. A lot of the shape of a nose is defined by shading. Without it, you can't see how far of a nose it is -- the depth I mean. Use your finger as a blender when needed to make the shading smoother. Just make sure you don't shade it all too much to make a gray smudge of one color.

4.) Details. I would add more features to it to help it out some. Some notable examples include... the jaw/below lip, below the eyes some (which is mostly just shading), the clothing for sure.

• EDIT:
      *eyes look like football*
      *The problem is that it all is pretty much one color.*
      *and **add** the dark textures to make them darker*

Geez, I'm sure there are more. My mind is fried and my spelling and grammar is quite awful right now :(

• thanks, about the definition on the eyes. I sort of felt like i had to do that because she obviously is black but she always wears eyeliner to darken her eyes so conveying that was quite difficult. she has very soft rounded features so giving definition is quite difficult but i'm going to try to make some ammends. thanks for the tips

• What helps a lot, if you are struggling with proportions or shading or anything like that, is to take the picture, prop it up against the wall, take a step back (go to the other side of the room), and look at it. When you are up close working on it, it is difficult to notice the things wrong with it. Also, you can compare it to the picture when you are far back. I've always done that as I'm drawing stuff. It helps a ton.

What Girls Said 10

• It is a thing of nightmares...

• your girlfriend looks possessed

• Damn.
    Not flattering.
    Looks like the girl from the Exorcist.

• It's not flattering at all, but
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f16b576a98.jpg
    :)

• I guess.. ?

Though to be honest, I don't really like the drawing.

• how come, what part was bad

• The whole drawing - But probably because I've seen better and I myself drawn better ;b

• Send me a picture of her and ill draw her for you :)

• Try to draw another... this looks not so good... though your gesture is sweet :)

• It is unflattering but understandable since I'm assuming you're an amateur.
    Keep drawing, you'll get better.

Since this is a gift I would suggest doing a more stylistic drawing of your girlfriend, that way its okay if its a bit unflattering. Save realistic drawings for practice until you get a bit better.

• that's sweet you drew that

• It looks like Gollum and Emily Osment had sex.

What Guys Said 8

• Make sure the eyes are symmetrical.

Widen the smile, and drop it down a little bit to elongate her face.

Add a little bit more definition to her chest. Looks kinda blocky.

Make her hair darker and straighter. Looks kinda straw-like as it is right now.

• ... Um well you know tips: don't show teeth don't do dark lip lines shading isn't necessarily a good thing on faces watch your hand placements everything should flow together watch more YouTube videos and don't rush it take your time and never fold art. And you can do better it's good though you have the basic human had down though.

• Well I mean if thats what she looks like

• Not to be mean, but it looks like Fiona's Ogre form from Shrek.

I would have gone with a more cartoonic approach.

• eyes are difficult to draw, i feel like althought i think they're quite good. they're not right there and i am struggling to correct the symetry and giving it realism.

it looks better in person though to be honest on computer it looks bad

• That's awesome, you should get that tattooed on your back.

• The eyes are misaligned and the smile is absolutely unflattering.

• Your thoughtfulness is admirable, but most girls are self-conscious to the point that a self-portrait is not a good idea.

• Is your girlfriend a bridge troll?