Do you think a person's favourite song says something about them?

So I was having a discussion about my favourite song and a couple people said that a person's favourtie song says something about them.

Do you agree?

For example this is my favourite song: (they said that the song shows I feel upset and annoyed on the inside as well as feeling lonely)

What are your opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like I'm really spamming these threads with this song but it's the most beautiful thing ever made. Music has never made me cry, but I've come damn close with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CPKtDy3fM

But if it says something about me? I mean, the lyrics are in Icelandic and apart from the few lines I've memorised and the few basic Icelandic words I understand I have no idea what they mean. Musically I think the only thing it says about me is that I love post-rock.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say perhaps if your SO was listening to some misogynistic or racist or songs about killing and murder would I be like, woah, this is your favorite song, why and what's wrong with you, but I personally have been in some great places in my life, very happy, and yet at the moment, my favorite song was something sad and emotional. I think that's more of a testament to the artist in evoking a feeling or something perhaps you related to once, rather then a prescription for your overall personality from day to day. I think perhaps you'd have to look at someone's entire overall collection to glimpse that.

What Guys Said 23

• That's your favorite song?
    Haha, I bet you find a new favorite song every two weeks.
    And in that case, your favorite song is pretty meaningless, unless they all happen to have the same lyrics and sound.

I can't decide on a favorite song, ever. Maybe a top 50, but that'd be way too hard to decide too, and it would change over time.

• Well, this is my all time favourite song or rather anthem, it just spoke to me when I heard it waaaaay back in the day ! You tell me what you think!

Jedi Mind Tricks - I Who Have Nothing

https://youtu.be/JtaRC9vHSgY

• Perhaps, but I don't believe it's consistent
    like, I believe whatever music you're currently listening to
    may represent how you feel right at that moment.

A favourite song, is more general.. I think. ^.^

• Probably. If it does, my favourite song doesn't really make me look like a person who can commit to anything :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1TwAxD4TM

• At the moment my favourite song is pure harcore metal. But I'm a geek and pretty far from a metalhead. A few months ago my fav was alternative rock, before that it was rap. So it says very little about me.

• I don't think it does because people like music for different reasons. I usually don't care much about lyrics and the meaning of it. I just enjoy the rhythm and instruments. So someone else would definitely interpret it differently when he gave more importance to the message itself.

• this is your favorite song? ...
    Its pretty lousy and the lyrics represent a highly dysfunctional relationship as well person... The beat and hook are catchy but...

Yes i do think it says something about the person... lol

• Probably, various people like different types of music.

• Somewhat, yes.

Maybe in terms of the lyrics, what it sings. But it's not for detailed analysis. I think horoscopes provide the same level of detail as songs profiling - good for trivia but totally off the mark when you dig deeper.

• Yes, but it also matters why it's their favorite. I really like a lot of songs that have a message I disagree with, but the actual music is so damn good and brings out an emotion I just love.

• What does it tell you if I have trouble choosing a song, because there are a lot of nice ones are there?

• I think so, yeah.

What do you suppose my favorite song says about me? o. o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RYvO2X0Oo

• well if anybody told me that this is thier favorite song they would probably be to stupid to even hold the conversation any further than that.

• yea i think the music a person listens to reflects their personalty to a existent

• Music seems to indicate more about what mood you are in or how you feel about a topic at the time.

• Maybe about him/her thoughts

• Yes. Like when someguy says his favourite song is anaconda you should know he's a lumberjacker

• it is possible.

• possibly...

• No its just a song he/she likes the most nothing more nothing less

• My opinions well

• Ofc it does. I don't expect much from someone if their favorite song is by little wayne.

• It says a lot about them

What Girls Said 13

• Half half I guess.. for me it does say something about my mood, because I have only a few favourite songs, but many songs that I'd play on repeat constantly. So the ones that I play on repeat are the ones that could reflect my mood, or whatever you say.

• I don't think so. When I was in high schooly I liked chingy's right thurr but I was also obsessed with light house family's "high" and they are two completely different genres. One is low brow sexual music and the other is high brow spirituality.

• No. Nor do I think a person's car being dirty/clean or their house says something. It CAN, but perhaps they were having an off day or needed to find keys.

• I don't agree with that. Its just a song.

• Nope.

I like songs that doesn't say anything about my personality.

Sometimes I like them mostly for the beat rather than the lyrics.

Hmmm maybe it does say what kind of beat they like.

• I've got the power. Artist unknown. It's a dance tune.

• It sounds very teenager, but this does not reflect on your personality. The only time there should be concern of people were listening to weird satan shit.

• Oh yeah, it says a lot.
    & wow, that song has been my favorite for a week now, I'm addicted to it. I hadn't seen the video before, though.
    Anyway, I do relate to the lyrics and it does describe a part of me, unfortunately.

• I don't have one favorite song though

• Not really. My taste in music doesn't express who I am as a person.

• Holy crap that's my current favorite song too!! I like songs that are dark but I'm a happy person.

• I don't think so. I think a song is just a song. I don't think there's any deeper meaning then you like it

• Maybe but not necessarily