Who is your favorite "classic" actor?

There are so many, and the poll only allows me so much options. If your favorite isn't on this poll, please comment who you like!

1. Laurence Olivier
Movies: Wuthering Heights, Rebecca, Spartacus, Hamlet

Who is your favorite

2. Paul Newman
Movies: Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Cool Hand Luke, Exodus, Harper

3. Sidney Poitier
Movies: In the Heat of the Night, Lilies of the FIeld, The Defiant Ones, To Sir, With Love

4. Gene Kelly
Movies: Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris, On the Town, Cover Girl

5. Marlon Brando
Movies: A Streetcar Named Desire, Gyus and Dolls, Mutiny on the Bounty, Julius Ceasar

6. Cary Grant
Movies: Charade, North By Northwest, Notorious, The Bishop's Wife

http://imgur.com/iZdejWG

7. Gregory Peck
Movies: To Kill a Mockingbird, Roman Holiday, Moby Dick, Gentleman's Agreement

http://imgur.com/J7BHbeq

There are seriously a lot of other great actors. To name a few more not in the poll: Christopher Lee, Peter O'Toole, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Charleton Heston, Elvis Presley, Fred Astaire, James Dean, Vincent Price, Charles Chaplin, Errol Flynn, Boris Karloff, etc. But please let me know your opinion!

Thank you.

• 1. Laurence Olivier
  • 2. Paul Newman
  • 3. Sidney Poitier
  • 4. Gene Kelly
  • 5. Marlon Brando
  • 6. Cary Grant
  • 7. Gregory Peck

Most Helpful Guy

• Christopher Lee was a Nazi hunting (for real) death metal vampire-dentist-wizard descended from Emperor Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire who was a world champion fencer, spoke 6 languages and saw countless men die before his very eyes (also for real)
    "During his death scene in Return of the King (only included in the Extended Edition to Lee’s disapproval), director Peter Jackson was describing to him what sound people getting stabbed in the back should make. Lee gravely responded that he had seen people being stabbed in the back, and knew exactly what sound they made."

Truly a god among men.

Most Helpful Girl

• My Mom and Dad are huge classic film fans, they must own several hundred classic films on DVD and Digital format. They watch them frequently. I love spending a cold weekend night (or day) watching a really great Classic Movie, especially if my guy is beside me to snuggle up to.

I was exposed to nearly all of the actors mentioned, though Morgan Freeman wouldn't make that list because he isn't a classic era actor, (I think he started too late for that, mid to late 70's). Just because an actor was born during the 30's or 40's doesn't make them a classic era actor, it makes them an older actor but unless they made film during the classic era they aren't considered as such. Charles Bronson did film and TV beginning in the early 60's so he would count as Classic Era. Micheal Cain is certainly on the list, the 60's version of the "Itallian Job" is a good one, mix of tongue and cheek humor with a somewhat plausible gold heist. The Mini Coopers are the real stars of the show. Great cliffhanger ending!

I really love the Classic Hollywood Era films from the thirties through the early seventies before Directors felt they had to tell you everything. Film was so much better when there was a real plot which developed like a book. The other thing is just how many of the Classic Era films have been remade and are currently still bein remade that alone is a testiment to the great stories these films told.
    Don't get me wrong I like modern movies if they're done well, if not I'd rather not waste my time with them. Just because a movie was made during that Classic Era, doesn't make it great film, it could be trash just like a new film could if it's not directed in such a way that compliments the story.

Sir Laurance Olivier was amazing with Joan Fontaine in Rebecca, has to be one of my all time favorite classic movies. Growing up when I had sleepovers my friends would almost beg to watch Rebecca, it's both kind of creepy and the twist in the plot gets you every time.

Did I say that I just love Classic Movies...

• Thank you for your feedback!

True, it is best to look at years active to determine the actual Golden Age of Cinema. I was going for more the ones listed than ones later on. But sometimes people haven't watched or don't' want to watch the classics. It's a shame, because I do enjoy them. But I do understand it's not for everyone.

I think that's great your parents love classic movies, my parents are the same way! Growing up, there was always one on, either in the background or we would sit down and watch together.

I agree, while I do love new creative stories there's something to be said for the constant remake of certain ones. There are definitely films I prefer over others, classic or modern.

I love Rebecca, it is a great film! You have great taste and I hope you continue to enjoy film!

What Guys Said 20

• Charles Bronson
    i.ytimg.com/vi/xRMHirB7fos/maxresdefault.jpg

Morgan Freeman

www.monstersandcritics.com/.../morgan.jpg

How about these guys here?

• definitely marlon brando

also like Paul Newman... well I like them all but those are my 2 faves

• I chose Marlon Brando, because he is just so iconic. But I would have actually gone with Jimmy Stewart, he is one of my favorites of all time.
    Rear Window, Vertigo, A Shop Around the Corner, Its a Wonderful Life. I could go on...

• Very true and great movies!

• Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart

• Sidney Poitier. I love his movies.

• Charlie Chaplin!

also Clint Eastwood.

• Clint Eastwood, no compare

• John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Vincent Price

• Gregory peck is the only one I know of

• Brando is a sacred beast.

• Boris Karloff is pretty awesome.

• Humphrey Bogart

• Brando and Jack Nicholson (if he counts)

• Jack is born in '37, so yeah he can count!

• john Wayne.

• I can't watch black and white movies.

• Does Michael Cane count?

• I've never seen any of these actors. So, I don't know.

• bill cosby...

• Orson Welles gets my vote, but of those listed, Gregory Peck.

• I'm a huge Clark Gable fan. He was had such a cool presence on the screen and a great actor of course.

Also like James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart... there are just too many to like, the Golden Age of Hollywood sums it all up.

• Exactly. There really is a lot. I know I didn't list them all, but I enjoy a lot of Golden Age of Cinema actors/actresses.

• Oh yeah, there are so many! You've got good taste, keep it up :)

What Girls Said 12

• Robert Redford
    [img]s.yimg.com/.../img]

George Peppard
    ecx.images-amazon.com/.../51ctwIp4n-L._SX342_.jpg

Christopher Lee
    medias.unifrance.org/.../media.jpg

David Niven
    pbs.twimg.com/.../qI05fSl7.jpeg

Alec Guinness
    www.wiredforbooks.org/images/AlecGuinness2.jpg

Kirk Douglas, Desmond Llewelyn, John Wayne, Lee Van Cleef, etc. All awesome classical actors in my book and none of them should be forgotten in my opinion. It's too hard to choose a number one

• Good choices! I agree, there really are a lot of great actors! I could only put 7 in the poll unfortunately. Thanks for your opinion. :)

• Of these, Paul Newman. Cool Hand Luke is one of my very favourite films. Gregory Peck is usually quite good, Michael Caine as someone else suggested, Steve McQueen is quite good too...

• Yeah there are seriously way too many. I'd have to make a Part 1 -100 poll I bet lol. But good choices! :)

• I love old movies made before my time! I watch with my stepdad all the time.

I voted #6 Cary Grant because he's so cute/funny/sexy in romantic comedies.

But you left off MY favorite. Spencer Tracey. He was AMAZING. :)

• I haven't ever really watched any of them in movies before but Marlon Brando was seriously hot when he was younger!! 😍

• Cary Grant :)

• I don't watch too many old movies but voted for Cary Grant for "North by Northwest"!!

• My favorite classic actors are Tom Hanks, Morgan Freeman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood. There are more but I can't remember all of them at the moment. :)

• Baby girl I don't think those guys are quite far enough back to be "Classic" but definitely some good choices!

• I have to agree with CheerGirl, but Clint Eastwood would be okay I suppose! I was leaning more towards the Golden Age of Cinema. :)

• Humphrey Bogart.
    He played in my favorite old movie: Casablanca :)

• Marlon Brando was hot but I voted Sidney cause I like some of his movies

• Gene Kelly <3 love his dances and his voice too

• James Dean 😍

• Where's Clark Gable?

• Not enough room, there's a lot of great actors!