What do you think about Bill Maher's statement :- "This is... Religion, Ego masquerading as humility" ?

I believe he is right, I never thought about it this way before he stating this, but to believe that there exists some all powerfull divine being who is watching over you all the time and is obsessed with you, and you can summon His help by 'praying' to him is quite an egoistic statement to make.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the religion, but most of the really big ones or most of the cultist religions - completely agree.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not religious but the concept isn't a divine being having a specific interest in you personally, it's an interest in his creation at large. This is bigger than you, than me, this is bigger than us. What religion is supposed to teach, what it does fundamentally teach is, "Do good and pass good on." The commandments in each religion are a result of defining what things are bad; they are bad because they hurt people, hurting people always comes full circle. I think that modern religious are definitely easily defined in the way that Bill Maher sees them; but I think his directed anger is aimed in the wrong place. I don't really think it's the leaders, because I've known some really cool guys that are full in on their religious convictions and beliefs and refuse to preach to me because they know that I actually give a fuck about the people around me and will be the kind of person to take the actions they know in themselves to be right. I think that religion on it's own is a great foundation for a moral code, it's something that should be taught with a grain of salt and not in terms of punishment and reward in any kind of after life but in terms of how your actions directly effect everyone around you, even the people you don't notice watching. I think where this goes wrong is that people take to heart the reward system and throw away the moral foundations believing that the moral foundations are literal word of god direction... These are the people that miss the point, they are the ones that the high intellectuals of any society would hate regardless of the believer's faith. These people preach and attempt to convert as if there's some cosmic scoreboard for saving souls, when you really should be just enjoying the company of your neighbor and enjoying the positivity that their beliefs bring to the table. As I've stated before, I don't believe there is relevance in questioning the existence of a god; however I do believe that religion serves a significant purpose in governing those that would ultimately wage war on a neighboring town because a football game got canceled on a Sunday or some stupid shit like that. No, I don't have hope that there will be a time in history where this kind of person does not exist, ergo we need religion to control them. I have extremely high IQ friends, people that put my numbers to shame that are religious and apatheist alike; I can have very interesting conversations with them about their beliefs and nobody ends up offended.

• I appreciate the intent but do avoid writing such long posts, at the 8th line I was almost thinking of replying "tl;dr"
      but anyways , that is the point Maher is trying to make,
      ". This is bigger than you, than me, this is bigger than us. What religion is supposed to teach, what it does fundamentally teach is, "Do good and pass good on." The commandments in each religion are a result of defining what things are bad; they are bad because they hurt people, hurting people always comes full circle."
      The concept itself is quite humble , but it's just the outline, inside it are people who hold the ego in following this particular line of faith. Why on Earth would anyone think that non-followers of that religion will go to hell?

What Girls Said 1

• lol, biggest load of shit.
    doesn't make u look good, ranting about something u dont understand.

• That's also quite an egoistic statement to make , good ma'am, saying that I do not understand something without understanding what I understand.
      And it's sad if it sounds like a rant to you, but all I did was quote an orator and express my views on the topic.

• lol, whatever.

What Guys Said 4

• Many women on here are zealots, so this might become a popular question. I was surprised when I saw via observation that there are many religious female zealots here, and the males have the 'live and let live' attitude. It seems too backwards to be true, I thought it was going to be the other way around.

• Yes and this coming from a liberal New York fat cat -rolls eyes-

• I agree with him. Who the fuck gave him right to watch over all of us and mess with our lives? Who the fuck is he to decide whether we go to hell or heaven?

• That's wayyyyy off the point he is trying to make :D

• 'will' is a big word, let's say, 'might'

• Well I've heard same lines on some talk show. It was probably Bill Maher. Anyway, this question has been asked so many times.

• Actually, wouldn't it do the opposite. I mean, when you look up at the heavens and see all those stars and everything, doesn't it make you feel kind of small?