Why won't some women just admit they read romance novels?

“Romance novels are a billion-dollar-a-year industry and make up 46 percent of all mass-market paperbacks sold in America; the publishing company Harlequin claims that half of its customers buys 30 of its novels every month; it also claims to sell more than four books per second,” he moans. “

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2014/05/20/men-stop-lecturing-women-about-reading-romance-novels/

Why can't you women admit it?

Do you ladies or men read romance novels?

Do you hope for a relationship that is like a romance novel?

• Yes, I read romance novels
  • No, I hate romance
  • I am a woman and I prefer my men to be out of romance novels

Most Helpful Girl

• Not a fan of romance novels. I'd rather read something that focuses on more than just people's romantic relationships.

• So then erotic fiction? or what?

• Then you need to ask "what turns you on, ladies?". Right now you're asking about our choices in books. You're not going to find one size fits all rules because not all women are the same. Like, I couldn't say "all guys are turned on by boobs" because all guys DON'T like boobs. Some guys are gay, some guys like butts or feet better, and some guys just don't care about boobs.

• They don't just focus on relationship romance novels are very diverse and can often have very strong plots.

What Girls Said 9

• ok hold up. ur commenting on opinions about romance novels and equating them to porn. do u even know what romance is?

• Romance novels sell more books than any other literary genre it is also the only genre that is written mostly by women for women. The Romance genre is also the genre that gets the most unwarranted criticism. People take one novel or genre and then say, "all romances novels are like this..." which just is not true. There are over 8 different romance sub-genres and some publishers even have specific "series romances" they can often have strong plots and subplots and serious themes but are still often scorned as not real literature. Some women may not admit it because of the unfair criticism and stereotypes to avoid people who might judge them for reading that, "garbage" or assume they have unrealistic expectations about relationships which is just not true. Everyone knows relations are not always rainbows and butterfly plus any romance heroine or hero would definitely attest to that!
    I do read romance novels mostly Paranormal Romance sometimes Erotic Romance and on rare occasions Contemporary. As for if I want a relationship like a romance novel if by that you mean a relationship where I am seem as the equal to the man I love then yes I do. So I shall leave you with this quote.
    “Romances are, in fact, subversive literature: They encourage women to be dissatisfied with inequality, and to set higher expectations for themselves, and they show them ways to achieve those expectations, largely by taming men and, in a way, usurping their power. Romances are arguably the only art form of any kind that portrays women as equal partners with men.”—David Pollard

• If that true then pay for my date, ask me out, and get on top.

• I think it is a bit more complicated than that but yeah I don't see anything wrong with paying for the date if I'm the one asking it actually makes a lot of sense. lol

• I'm thinking on doing a mytake on romance novels and confront the stigmas and maybe talk a little about the different types.

• I really only enjoy reading real crime books, I like reading about serial killers, couples who kill etc. It's managed to fascinate me, make me sad and angry all at the same time.

I love to read and one of my friends at work always reads romance novels, she would loan me multiple books so I could read them but I just couldn't get into them, ever.

It was something about the style of writing that most of them had, it was very difficult for me to get into them.

I wouldn't have anything against reading a good one but i've never had that experience.

I think romance novels are just a fantasy for people, who wouldn't want to have a perfect, fairy tale romance? But most people are realistic enough to realize that doesn't happen in real relationships. It's probably just wishful thinking or a nice escape from reality.

• I have no life so I live vicariously through book 😉

Honestly, I read everything but romance dominates the majority of my bookshelves.

• I've never read a romance novel.

• Then what do you do to get off because if women don't read romance novels or typically watch porn the what do they actually do?

• I sleep... I don't really do anything to get off. I can have sex with my boyfriend when ge visits. I guess it's not a "drive" for me. I probably get off to horror with the amount that I watch a read. Lol

• Oh I don't watch porn... It is kind of gross wwatching people have sex.

• I'm simply not into romantic novels. I actually like horror, suspense or criminal novels.

• I don't hate romance but I don't read romance novels. They're a bit boring in my opinion.

• then what do you read for fun and pleasure or watch because many women don't watch porn either apparently. You have to do something.

• Well, I do watch porn sometimes.

• It's the age demographic you're asking, I think. My mom and grandma read romance novels. I don't know any of my friends who do. Harlequin has even tried a new line of books trying to reach younger women, but I don't know how well it's doing.

Personally, I read a lot of nonfiction, mysteries and classics. I'd prefer to get off looking at pics of hot men on the internet, so I don't care if a guy watches porn, as long as it's not excessive, it's not super freaky and he doesn't ruin his dick by fapping so fast, furiously and frequently that a vagina feels too soft (it happens, dudes). Moderation is key to most things in life.

• I also feel aroused remembering sexy things that have happened in the past or watching a sexy scene in a movie. Getting yourself off isn't rocket science, it doesn't really need a gourmet offering to fulfill it. Women are attracted to a lot of different things and it varies by woman.

• I hate Harlequin novels I tend to read adult Paranormal Romance almost exclusively its much more exciting.

• Ah, well most romance novels aren't exactly great literature. Though there are exceptions. They're a guilty pleasure for a reason.

We prefer to mention all the sophisticated, worldly, intelligent books we read instead 😉

Do I hope for a relationship like the ones in romance novels? Not really, but they're a nice escape once in a while.

• Really? My imagination is terrible so I can't understand.

• Huh, yeah I don't know. What works is going to be different for different people I guess.

What Guys Said 0