Have you ever seen a movie in a language you can't understand?

Most of you probably have, but here is the catch... WITHOUT SUBTITLES!
i am going to try today and see if i can capture what the director truly wanted to portray solely by the acting... facial expressions/body language of the actors, tone etc not the actual words of the script

have you ever done this before? did you enjoy the movie?

Most Helpful Girl

• I looove movies and I enjoy watching films from many countries, I went to a Jewish
    Movie festival and the movies had many languages, (Hebrew, English, Arabic) I read the subtitles in French and I'm still learning that language, so it was challenging.
    I gotta try without subtitles, sounds like fun.
    Maybe Jewish movies too, I loved all those movies from that festival.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have and I did enjoy it. It was a Japanese movie based on the beauty of Shibari, there was a plot that I think I understood but who knows? And my Japanese consists of maybe 20 words and most of them either sex or food related.

What Girls Said 13

• I don't watch movies with subtitles, it annoys me a lot, unless I'm learning that language or whatever.

So yeah, I did lol. It was a Spanish movie and coincidentally it doesn't have subtitles – worst two hours of my life ever. This was the only one time where I did not enjoy a movie without subtitles.

• Wow lol! Awww... It wasn't even entertaining 😔

• I'm surprised I even watch the entire movie.. I could still understand French and maybe a little Italian (still need my friend to help out) but Spanish is totally a hell lot worse for me..

• No and I couldn't watch it if I wanted to. I don't even like watching movies with subtitles when they're in a different language. It annoys the crap out of me.

• I've seen Turkish series in Turkish but with subtitles. I tried watching one without the subtitles but I was very confused so I gave up xD

• Haha! was at least pretty to watch?

• OH MY!!! lol! thats hilarious! i might change my mind now...
      i thought it would be interesting

• Hahaha x) !!

• Can't say I have. I did watch a movie that was partly in another language (I think it was German), and there were no subtitles either. Regardless to say I still enjoyed the movie.

• sometimes the actors, tone/expression are good enough, where you can understand whats going on
      sometimes... NO! lol!

• Yes! I understood nothing! lol I've seen Indian films, Korean films and tv show episodes, French films and German films without subtitles. I had no clue what was going on at all.

• haha! yeah i realized it was a bad idea and ended up watching the movie with subs lol!

• oh yeah.. it was on french. it was.. interesting xd

• yes. a french movie. I got the gist of it though.

• Nope but I will try toĆ³. There is this movie in French that looks kind of interesting.

• Yes, I have but I had a 'translator' with me lol. It wasn't in the theater, but in DVD. The guy paused the movie every now and then to translate what was said to me.

• sounds interesting lol!
      sounds like a tough job translating all that!

• Oh, it wasn't that tough. It was Saw 1 or 2, but Italian dubbed.. he didn't have to translate all the screams that made up half of the movie lol

• lol!!! thats great :)

• yas.. i did.. it was not good haha

• I watched "city of God" which actually does have subtitles on the movie. But half the time I didn't read the subtitles because of the amount drama there was, I felt like I would've missed what was happening because of reading. I think that movie was SOOOO GOOD. I loved it. And because it was a true story.

• I once watched a Spanish movie whitout subtitles, I don't understand Spanish.. Worst movie ever

• yes and i didn't get it.

What Guys Said 7

• Saw a movie called Ten Canoes and it was all in Aborigine. Just a horrendous movie. I don't do subtitles, English or GTFO. @justbanANNAz Hammockz, you seen this one? It was an Aussie independent flick. More effective than any sleeping pill on the market😴

• LOL!!! thats hilarious!

• ah ur one of thoseeee ok haha. #cantmultitask
      omg wth? -.- well that sounds ridiculous. i dont blame u for sleeping.

• @justbanANNAz Yup, definitely one of those. If I tried to walk and chew gum at the same time I'd probably somehow start a small fire🔥🔥🔥

• That is a big committment - Fair play to you - I have watched a lot of foreign movies but all with subtitles.

• Same, i thought i try to see what its like to immerse myself in a language like that

• yes, the first time I saw Spirited Away was in Japanese without subtitles.
    I stumbled upon it while switching through the channels and I was so flashed by it that I just kept watching it :)

took me years until I watched it with subtitles again and actually understood what's going on

• animated films i guess are different, because, the body language/expression is read differently, very interesting
      but as a kid when i saw that movie, i had a hard time following it, in English DUB lol!

• yes I had no clue what was going on but it was still fun to watch. I think I was 15 back then.

• No, not films, only youtube videos.

• O you mean foreign films lol? or Spanish soaps lol.

• no. i need it in English. it only earthling langue i over-stand.

• I have watched a Bosnian serial without subtittles