What do you think of my first mobile game/app called Starship Blaster?

Hello everyone!

So I've been spending a lot of time on side hobbies lately to break from routine and the daily grind. I've been learning how to program and i started working on this game a couple months ago... chipping away at it every day. Today, I finally finished it and uploaded it to the google play store, and i'd really like to know what peoples first impressions of it are. It would be really helpful to me if you downloaded/took a look it here and gave me your first impressions of the gameplay. The game is free, but you don't have to play it to offer an opinion. You can also give me your first impression of the game based on the screenshots I'll post below, as well as the game description which ill get into now.

Basically, the inspiration for the game came from the old arcade game space invaders, if you've ever heard of it. i'm a really big sci fi fan, so i thought it would be a great idea for my first game to be something situated in space. The simple premise of the game is that aliens have invaded your sector of space in order to invade your homeworld, and you must take to space in your starship to defend it. Killing different types of enemies will earn your more and more credits, which you use to purchase things in-game that can help you progress, such as support ships, auto-turrets and extra lives, etc. You also have the ability to upload a replay of any level you've beaten to facebook, twitter, youtube or mail if you wish. It's not meant to be a super complex game, as im still just learning the ropes... but i'm really looking for feedback from people... especially if you frequently play games on your phone. Here are a few screenshots of what it looks like. Tell me what you think

Main Menu Screen

Gameplay

In game store

• The game looks/feels great - Worth downloading
  • The game looks/feels bad - Not worth downloading

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like something my bros might enjoy.

I will see if they like it.

• awesome, thanks :)

• Welcome :)

And he meant both.

• ah gotcha. thanks a lot

Most Helpful Guy

• How did you make that graphic of the planet?

The only critical comment I'll make is that you need better kerning with that font--sometimes letters blend into one another in a way that makes the text hard to read easily.

Terrific job overall, though.

• all of the images i used were made by other people, since i have next to no graphical art abilities, lol. But yeah i did come across that issue every now and then with the font. Id put spaces sometimes in order to counteract that but then it would just look out of place... so ill have to figure out what to do there. but thanks for the tip

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 9

• Looks good! My first game was space invaders style also lol. To me, the most impressive part is not the game (although it is still impressive), but the fact that you were able to stick with it for so long and finish it. A lot of people get tired and quit before they have a finished product. Employers look very highly on that trait in a person if you're looking to get some sort of programming job.

• thanks :) It actually took me a lot longer to finish than i thought it would. Thought i could get it done in like 3 weeks, but it ended up taking 2 months... and i worked on it almost everyday for a few hours. The main reason for that i guess was because of the mistakes i made which set me back somewhat. But its a nice feeling to have actually completed it :) Now i've got to think of a whole new idea... damn

• hmm that's an interesting point. Probably true too, haha. The only issue is getting your app noticed on the app store. So far, it really hasn't been picked up much by people so despite working on it for so long, it will likely not get into the hand of too many people :(

• I'm sure if you googled it you would find a bunch of advice on that subject.

• Overall, I like what I see.

The in-game screens look great.

The only thing that I feel needs more polish is the appearance of the in-game store.

Aside from that though, as a person who's done a lot of game and gfx programming in his time, I"m impressed.

• yeah i hear ya... ill see what i can do about it... but thanks a lot :)

• Wow your game looks freaking amazing! The graphics look so good! Just amazing lol.
    I dont know how the gameplay is, but thats the most important factor for a game. I understand this is a first version, and im really very impressed by this lol. Keep up the good work! :)

Im making a game too, a 3d horror game with unity, but its still in its early stages :)

Can you message me (since you're anonymous) so we can chat about making games a bit?

• thanks mate :) Yeah im using unity too. Its a great engine for beginners and pros alike. And yeah i may message ya later!

• Good luck with your future games! :)

• java or a game engine?

• Game engine (Unity)

• yeah, i'm kinda getting used to it; nice game by the way

• thanks :)

• Looks good. Does it have an iOS version?

• not yet. im still working to cough up the $100US/year Apple charges to upload apps to their store. Money is kinda tight atm =/

• Sorry man. It looks like a normal Gameboy game with normal graphics.

• im a one man team, and its my first game.

• Which software you used to make this?

• is this Android only or iOS too?

• android only for the moment

• Nice!!! I know how hard is to make game it takes years of learning, keep up the great work!