Girls, does it bother you that main characters are usually males?

In the vast majority of movies, the main character, aka the good guy, is a male, while there are only few movies that have females as their main character.

Ladies, does this bother you?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't care

Most Helpful Girl

• It is problematic that most lead roles are male and most female roles are supportive because as much as art may reflect society, society also reflects art and when the vast majority of the media we consume portrays male characters as active and women as passive, this does affect how we view male and female abilities and proper characteristics in real life, consciously or not. Men are thus seen and treated as doers, while women, at worst have things done to them or at best passively support/encourage the men who DO.

We are finally starting to see more female lead roles and even among supporting roles female characters are becoming more active but thid is still not the case in most films and tv shows.

I love the idea of encouraging roles to be written without gender and having the gender be decided during casting. There truly are very few stories in which the gender of the lead character actually matters to the storyline in any way.

• But it's not easy to create a character without defining its gender.

• No, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that women can't have leading roles, be heroines. I'm just saying that when you create a character I think that you gotta define its gender, at least for the vast majority of characters.
      I think a female protagonist is as good as a male one.

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• I don't care. If it's a good story it'll be a good story no matter if the main character has a penis. If it's a shitty story it'll be one regardless.

• I guess in most action/fantasy/sci-fi movies the main character is a male. Then again I never noticed... Most movies got a semi-main female so could care less. What's important to me is if I can relate to the characters, not so much if they are male or female.

To answer your question, it doesn't really bother me. I didn't even notice until I started thinking about it a sec ago :P

• Yeah, being able to relate to the character is much more important, but it's easier to relate to that character if they're your same gender.

• Well for me that's half true. In movies/books/anime/tv-shows idc if the main character is male/female. Though when I play games I want a female character, I can't relate to the male ones. But I guess in certain situations it's easier to relate to a character if it's the same gender as you.

• Haven't even noticed that. 😳 I guess that means it never bothered me, and now that I'm aware of it, still doesn't bother me. I think I even prefer it since I like male actors better, I have quite a few favorites, while I don't have any favorite actresses. 😐

• a little bit. have you ever seen studio ghibli movies? they're anime movies that all feature strong female leads.

• No, never heard of that, not too much into anime I must say, but it's cool that they have strong female leads.

• Yeah it's some really good stuff, some of the older movies are more on the violent side, but they are generally aimed a children. The main person who makes the movies Hayao Miazaki is pretty renound for his achievements in animation and overall cinamatography. A lot of his older movies were ground breaking for the time. I highly recommend them they remain to be some of the best movies I've ever seen.

• Sometimes, like if action movie after action movie is mainly just males and the occasional woman who's only there for eye candy.

• Never bothered about it. If it's a good movie, it'd be a good one no matter who's the main character.

• it doesn't bother me too much as long as they're well written, one thing that bothers me is that the there partner, wife, female friend etc tends to be so weak, annoying and poorly written. they dont have to be the lead just less shitty i guess

• Naah not really... there are a lot of chick flicks with girls as the star, too
    plus, it just seems more plausible for a guy to jump from one building to the next.
    As long as i like the character him/herself, I don't mind

• No... because I don't really care.

• I write between the focus/POV of male and female characters. I always switch it cause the published books I read are mostly male main characters but the books on Wattpad are mostly female

• No, lol not really.

• No, I could always identify with both male and female protagonists, as most human truths transcend gender.

That being said, seeing an awesome franchise with a female hero like Hunger Games is nice. The best part is that her being female had little to do with the storyline... as do the best stories featuring guys as the main character, as well, IMHO. It's why Harry Potter is engaging and easy to deeply connect with, but Thor is just cool and fun to watch.

• Yeah, in those kind of movies/franchises you don't relate to them because of their gender but more so bout what they've experienced/gone through and the characteristics they have as a person.

• Yes, it bothers me sometimes...

• Sometimes... but not too often. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the Captain Marvel movie (about Carol Danvers, aka Ms. Marvel). They pushed back her movie release date, that was annoying. There are seriously some amazing female stories in comics but they keep picking white male leads. It can get irritating. I like diversity, and would like to see more people and their interesting stories.

They are making an Ant Man sequel called "Ant-Man and the Wasp", which while cool... I was hoping for more Janet (the Wasp) and then some Hope (also the Wasp). Sadly, FOX owns X-Men, because I would have loved to see Storm (my favorite) in the Black Panther movie.

Sorry for the mini rant, but yeah, sometimes I can get annoyed by it lol.

• Make sense. I'm not too much into comics, I like the movies, but I don't know about the comics so I don't know many of the female characters that appear in comics.

• That's understandable. There are other examples, but that was the most recent news I heard and used that, sorry.

• It would be cool to have more female leads, but I don't think it's so uncommon anymore. I don't really feel bothered by some kind of complete lack of lead female presence. There are many movies with good female main characters now, and there's probably going to continue to be more. In action movies it's not seen as much, but that's not the only genre of film.

What Guys Said 4

• I'm a man, but I'll answer anyway.

I often wish there were more movies with female leads, and I can see this trend picking up.

• I'd also like to see more female protagonists, also in video games, they give another perspective.

• The situation WON'T get better, the customs and duties on foreign good are too bad here. Anyway, I don't need to worry because I really love gaming on my PC, and use my XBox 360 controller for games which are not suitable to be played using Keyboard and mouse.

• I see. Many Latin American countries have the same problem too. But if you don't care, then keep enjoying your PC games, at least you can play them.

• It has a lot to do with the presence and character an actor/actress brings to the audience and what the movie is about - in real life

How many times do you see a drug lord like in American gangster be a women
    - scarface, what women would be that way
    - breaking bad, are women more likely to break bad and cook meth

Most movies need a strong character lead and a strong influence that can relate to the target audience... most of the times its men BUT some movies are just better played by a women lead

It really depends on a lot - there not forcing male leads on to us, in fact they are learning that male leads might sell more (all they want is money) - maybe because of the population of actors currently in hollywood. Its hard to say where the influence started from... most likely somewhere from the past when women were less equal to men so by default more men just took over like anything else..

I just want a movie to be illistrated, female or male..
    The Martian was amazing - a movie like that could be played by a female lead and not be any different i think... breaking bad not so much

• i dont care girls are boring :p

• Pfff hahahah poor girls, you're shattering their hearts, bro xD

• its wild bro! you will never mess with your wife/gf again :p

• Damn... hahahah gotta watch it then.

• It kinda bothers me. But if it has a good plot, then I'll try to overlook it. The anime Yu Yu Hakusho has mostly male main characters but lacks badass females. It's still a good anime to watch despite of that.