Do you think hip hop from the 90s is really that much better than today's hip hop (2010s)?

As an avid hip hop fan, I must ask this question to you GaGers.

So many people want to talk about how 90s hip hop is better than hip hop today, yet most of those people are my age and grew up listening to 90s hip hop, so they may be committing in "back in the day" romanticizing.

I was going through my music collection, and I can find joints back in the day as well as current joints that I can get into... that is the inspiration for this question.

Please vote on the poll and explain why you have the preference for one or the other. Feel free free to give examples and be detailed if you so choose!

#OneLove

• 90s hip hop is better than current (2010s) hip hop
  • current hip hop (2010s) is better than 90s hip hop
  • 2000s hip hop is better than either 90s or 2010s
  • 80s hip hop is better than all of the above
  • I don't listen to enough hip hop to answer this question

Most Helpful Girl

• I was born in 1998 so i didn't rlly live through the 90's and i think 90's hip hop/rap was absolutely much better than the hip hop nowadays.
    For me the difference is the lyrics. Lyrics is what determines the quality of the music the most in my opinion and for me to like the lyrics, it needs to tell me something real, they need to talk about social problems and they need to make me relate.
    Take Lauryn Hill for example, telling guys and girls to not let sexual partners use us and telling the the system that it's crooked an broken and singing about her baby that passed away.
    And then commpare her to Nicki Minaj or Iggy Azalea... i mean... i think iggy doesn't even know what she's saying herself.
    and nicki raps about how awesome and 'hood' she is and who she did and did not f*ck and stupid hoes... so it's pretty clear to me.

• Thanks for the mho!
      But it's funny how me and @mr90skid both got mho, but we both have opposite opinions.
      Just out of curiosity, what's your own opinion @asker?

• We different? I kinda agreed with ya especially on that Iggy part, do I needa grab the mic again lol

• @mr90skid well i was surprised too bc i thought u would agree, but in your comment to this question i interpreted your statenent to be that hip hop from the 90's is not better than the hip hop nowadays. Maybe i misunderstood :$

Most Helpful Guy

• The 90's was fire but Hip-Hop now isn't that bad or as bad as some make it seem. Hip-Hop is only shit if you only listen to the radio which is what most of the masses hear plus there are a lot of lazy listeners. Underground used to lead the way to me years ago but now I think it's evened out.

What Girls Said 5

• it was SO much better. the whole hip hop/rnb/soul thing was more.. 'refined'. it was more raw because it usually carried some kind of meaning, in addition to purer vocals.

sure, there's some pretty great stuff today as well but for the most part, i feel like there's meaning lacking in music, and if it does come up it's like 'wow...'.

for example, let's take nicki minaj. she's a rap/hip hop/pop artist. compare a meaningless song like anaconda to grand piano, or i lied, and u wouldn't think it's the same artist.

• I think it's different because the hip hop market is so saturated right now. There are some diamonds mixed in with the duds. There are some pros and cons to both. I think the 2000s was a good mix of the two. It was a little more evolved than 90s rap while still requiring some talent, speed, meaning, not brig all about bitches and hoes. 90s R&B is unrivaled though

• i like to get nostalgic and listen to music from the 90s and 00s a lot but there are some really nice songs these days too

• the R&B was better too

• 90s and 00s music in general is so much better than today's music

What Guys Said 9

• in terms of consisitency, yes by far. does that mean there are no good hip hop records coming out now? no, it's just a lot more garbage to slop through than there used to be. as usual you have to look to the underground to find the cream of the crop, the radio ain't playing nothing new and groundbreaking. i could make a case for the 80's being better than any era, back then if you couldn't move a crowd you didn't get to make a single (album yeah right) and you were tossed off the stage for the next act. in the 80's it was all fresh and everyone strived to be different, slick rick had his identity and no one else even thought of biting it. now biting is common and even necessary for some of the hacks getting to release record after record to people who think if it was recorded before 2000 it's too old to listen to. all in all the 90's had the best mix of different styles jumping off with the best producers all in their primes bringing out some great beats, especially before the sampling lawsuits fucked it up, but that's a whole other story. the other case for the 80's would be the dj's. remember them? a distant memory now.

• Today's good hip hop is drowning in a sea of terrible hip hop. In other words, the amount of good hip hop is probably more than the 90s, but the percentage of good hip hop has lessened.

• And the G-Funk era is over, so that sucks. Never again will 70s-era funk and hip hop be combined on such a large scale

• I like 2000s Hip Hop more. Don't get me wrong though I do like some 90s too. 10s music is shit for the most part, you gotta do some research to find great artist nowadays.

Checkout Kyle if you haven't heard of him, he relates to a lot of gamer guys like yourself.

• Besides Eminem way more better In liked MC Hammer

• Dude, in the 90's we had 2Pac, Biggie, Big L, Eazy-E... now we have a bunch of rappers that all sound the same, with lyrics that make no sense, and with recycled beats.
    90's and early 2000's Rap is the best in my opinion, today's Rap sucks... most of it.

• You can see my age. It wasn't just hip hop. Everything was minted in the 90s. I was a big hip hop fan in the 90s. It was all dre, snoop, cypress hill, ice cube, Eminem, Tupac, biggy. The list goes on and on. Real people rapping about real life. It had soul. It's all mass produced, image conscience shite nowadays. You young ones don't even know your alive anymore. The nineties was strumming with life and soul

• I don't normally listen to hip hop, but when I do it is the older stuff

• Nothing beats 80's hip hop. Grandmaster Flash was da man!

https://youtu.be/O4o8TeqKhgY

https://youtu.be/HsTJaP2tC0A