Girls, does it bother you that main villains are usually males?

In the vast majority of movies, the main villain, aka the bad guy, is a male, while there are only few movies that have females as their main villain.

Ladies, does this bother you?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't care
This question is a follow-up from this question I made a week ago
www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1721012-girls-does-it-bother-you-that-main-characters-are-usually-males

Most Helpful Girl

• I would prefer to see more awesome women villains definitely.

• Why's that?

• I think that writers generally find more complexity with female villains. For male villains, the general basis tends to be the male ego and this brash way of world domination. I think that when female villains are used well, they tend to be manipulative and subtle, and I think that they're usually given a wider range of reasons why they're a villain in the first place. I also enjoy the trope of people overlooking the women because they don't consider them a threat and then realising their mistake far too late.

• Never thought of that, but you're right.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's silly to see these girls whine about not passing an audition and thinking everything is about gender. I mean just because one girl happens to be a shitty actress doesn't mean she should use her gender as an excuse or privelege to become a star.

What Girls Said 15

• professor Umbridge was woman and she was worse than Voldemort who was a male.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...2b4d55edab.jpg

• I don't know who she is, but Voldemort wasn't too bad either.

• i can't be too mad at that because that set the stage for the greatest line in all of the harry potter series
      NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!!! @girly1710

• That's absolutely true. Loved that.

• As an actress yes... Villains are a challenging role to play and it's very rare I get the opportunity to try that because so few complex female roles of any sort are written. I always have to play to cute supportive little sister roles and it's pretty one dimensional and bland. Henrik Ibsen wrote some very complex and fantastic roles for women he was ahead of his time. I think my favourite female "Villain" at the moment is The Scarlet Witch in The Avengers even though she's just misunderstood and ends up being one of the heroes she had a complex character that wasn't just "sexy" She was fierce, and loving, and protective of her twin brother, and strong, and badass.

• Thanks for commenting from the perspective of an actress :)

• :) I mean I get paid either way, but I'd rather people stopped writing shallow boring roles for women I want a challenge just as much as a man does!

• Hollywood is still very much male-dominated. So this doesn't surprise me. I rejoice every time there's a female characters that's not depicted as a sexual object AT ALL in the entire movie, and i can't say i have rejoiced very often. Maybe even never...

• Nah, doesn't bother me, I don't care about that.

• Kind of. Its usually the sub-villain female to a mastermind villain (male) that usually gets the leadership role. Or even the girl as just being the love interest, continuous damsel in distress... The same role gets really repetitive. Not just more female villains, but more kickass superheros. Also, if she is going to be bad, make her really sinister and scary, not just some kids' devouring witch.

• Nope...
    Heroes and villains - usually male...

• I never really thought abut it...

• I don't really care..

• Did you ask the same thing twice? lol

I really don't care, why should I care? lol

• No, the other question was if it bothers girls that the GOOD guy is usually male, this is about the BAD guy.
      Many women care that the main character is male, so I wanna know if it applies to villains too.

• Oooooh, I just saw the difference lol

Most of us, just don't give a shit XD

• Lol don't care and don't think about it.

• I hadn't even thought about it till I saw this post. But yeah, if it's sexist, I care.

• I mean male villains usually turn me on... their like bad bad boys

• I dont care...

• Nah, not really. I mean, I'd love to see some really bad ass female villains as well as male villains. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I saw a movie yesterday were the main antagonist was a woman. The writing could have been a tad bit better maybe, but overall I was satisfied with how the actress portrayed that darkness.

• Is it just me, or are a lot of villains sort of asexual? A lot of times, they're either weasly and lean towards androgynous (think modern Loki) or foppishly handsome (twists handlebar mustache).

What Guys Said 6

• I'm slowly (very slowly) writing a book and one of my major main villains is a woman. But she's also the only one who's outright secretly psychopathic so I don't know whether that's a good thing or not from a story telling point of view.

• women villians are hot!!! i would lovee to see more of them <3

• no not really

• Why would it? Men suck. Men are villians. Women are heroes. Women are goddesses.

• 100% drives me up the wall

• Stop asking this questions. No one cares