What do think of this article regarding a female video game developer receiving death threats on the internet?

As a male video gamer, I find this highly disgusting and despicable for people to treat this female developer this way just because they refuse to see any woman work in the video game industry. I honestly think it's nice to diversify the video game industry and community to get many other different people's perspective (from women and from Non-White and Non-Japanese game developers). Don't see why such things like in this article, has to happen.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/news/a32054/female-game-developer-flees-home-after-getting-death-threats/

• Cruel and despicable
  • Nothing
  • Others

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh man this is from 2014. You should see all the stupid the #GamerGate boys got up to. She wasn't even the only one. Seriously games are for everyone. The sooner we all accept that, the funner they'll be.

• It had nothing to do with that. It had to do with her and others bribing journalist in the industry to review their products favorably (irregardless of quality) and the out rage was at the lack of integrity on the journalist part. The only reason why she and others got the back lash was when they twisted the issue to make it seem like they where victims of sexism, instead of reaping the consequences of their own actions.

• *Assuming* that women did cop more "harassment," is it still sexist if they were responsible for more/worse unethical behaviour than men and made shittier games or whatever else that offended people? Maybe everyone got an equal share of abuse and the females made a bigger deal of it than men and called it sexist then the media ran away with that narrative. Why should I think that people were harassed on the basis that they are female and not on the basis that they did or said something conventionally offensive? Even if it was 100% one gender getting flak it's still not necessarily sexism. It's only sexism if it's *because* they are a certain gender. If it were only guys being "harassed" would people have called it sexist?

Honestly, in my opinion I don't think people would have cried sexism - and if all that kerfuffle about Zoe Quinn was actually about a Joey instead of a Zoe, there would be no kerfuffle, GamerGate probably wouldn't have been a thing and gone on to expose what it did.

Most Helpful Guy

• Trigger warning: Contains abusive language. :3

Fucking Brianna fucking Wu, motherfucking Randy "The Blue Whale" Harper, goddamn Zoe Quinn aka "5 guys, burgers and fires" and Lord Cthulhu herself Anita Sarkeesian. They are all full of shit. They are professional victims trying to ruin the internet and gaming for everyone else and looking to cash in. They got to speak at the UN for what, having someone say you suck on the internet? - so what else is new?

Read the report the UN put out (aside from being full of horrible referencing), they are suggesting fascistic measures to monitor and control the internet. Fuck that. China here we come.

Common sense tells me they shouldn't really have a lasting impact and we needn't worry that they will change games or fuck up the internet, but then something fucked happens like they get to speak at the UN and this scares me.

This is old news, you're a bit behind in the news but basically don't trust these people, they are well-documented liars.

I was never involved in #GamerGate but what they did was a good thing.

What Girls Said 7

• I really hate how the vast majority of male gamers want to act like no woman ever plays or has any interest in video games. Gatekeeping prevents improvement on the genre. Isn't anyone else tired of endless FPS or driving games? Ugh. No more. Can't imagine anything more boring.

• In this case you can't blame them fully. People like the lady this article is about and Anita Sarkeesian (feminists) are pretty much trying to bring the gamer world down, by claiming games are sexist and misogynistic, I get why the gamers have had enough. Of course it's not okay to send death threats, but there will always be people who takes it too far.

• I think taking immature little nerd boys with mommy's credit card seriously in the first place is her mistake. I play video games all of the time, i've heard pretty much anything that can be said. Not excusing their behavior but you can't fix people who are that stupid, tell them to go fuck themselves and move on with your life.

• Despicable and expected - why? Because people attach women in every way and at every opportunity for trying to be acknowledged for something she's good at. Appalling, I know.

• You know how many these punk gamers are on GAG based on the down votes.

• Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

• This is GAG. Do you actually expect any man on here to give two shits if a female's life is threatened. They all think women are expendable anyway.

What Guys Said 22

• But have you heard Anita Sarkeesian views on feminism? It's no wonder she receives death threats.

https://youtu.be/prmprJyPyv0?t=7m50s

Anita Sarkeesian wants to stop freedom of speech in the name of feminism
    wants to implement guilty until proven innocent (with written apology)

I have no sympathy for her.

• great, briana wu. The crybaby of the indie developer.

Look, it got NOTHING to do with the fact she's a chick, despite what people claim. If you look into indie development, you'll find out that A LOT of the developers have recieved death threats; both male and female.
    She's just the one crying about it instead of doing what she claims to love. I mean, isn't that kinda a wrong priority?

Time to take a step back to #gamergate. She involved herself in it, and suddenly she got death threats. There's just one problem. She had no proof, but claimed to magically know of all the billions of people, it was some of the few ones fighting for gamergate. She SPEARHEADED the belief that gamers are basement-dwelling sexist angry young men with on life.
    It was all a lot of claims with ZERO proof whatsoever. She basically made the claims "i got death threatened", then claimed it was up to gamergate to prove innocent.

I don't give a rat's ass what's the truth about the death threats, but it's a storm in a glass of water. She's no different from the other indie devs, except instead of making it a political question about sexism like she did, they keep making games!

TL:DR girl's an attention whore. death threats are sadly a bit too comon in indie development, and she's not alone, and it's not a question about sex either.

• What @FakeName123 said. The fact that she was called out for what she and others did (I honestly don't remember all the details of gamergate but needless to say it was sexist towards men and prejudice towards gamers) and it ignored the fact that it was originally about journalistic integrity which when she became involved quickly shifted gears into how she and other women where being attacked which promptly got journalist to look at her and others as victims instead of bribing journalist in the industry to review their products more favorably ie its bull. The only reason their are any "threats" is because of what she did and how all the publicity ignored it because she was a woman resulting in a negative backlash against her. Its like being upset at all the bill clinton jokes after he had his affair with monica, it was self inflicted.

• 1. "female". It's a guy no matter how much you try to twist it.

2. He was proven to be a liar on several occasions.

3. Attention whore.

4. Cosmopolitan *facepalm*

• I think the death threats were far from appropriate. But I also don't agree with her on her views. If there's any sexualizinh females in videogames, people like her cry sexism. But they don't bat an eyelash at say Kratos from God of War. Male characters are sexualized all the time and women don't complain about it one bit. But turn the tables and it's a crime. I think it's just silly.

• it doesn't matter who you are... male or female... piss off the wrong crowd on the internet, and you'll get death threats. She didn't receive those threats because she was a female... she got them because she's an idiot. Does that justify inciting violence? No, it doesn't... but lets not conflate the reasoning and the context behind the whole debacle. Don't think for a second that if she were a male, that she would not have still received death threats for mocking people who are annoyed over gamergate. She pissed off 4chan too (or is it 8chan?) which is NEVER a good idea

• These "death threats" are next to never carried out so they are not to be taken seriously.

• Most adult gamers don't give two shits about who's developing their game they just want to play it. This makes all gamers look like dumbass sexist shits. But really the majority of gamers aren't

• Given that anyone who publicly states "racist" things or disagrees with homosexuality now can expect to be fired/get death threats, I really don't care about some woman decrying "sexism" getting threats, assuming she actually did get any threats.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

• I don't care. She is a cow, just like Sarkeesian or Quinn.
    Those women are not feminists neither they are video game developers, they are manhating phonies who play the victim card to get people to donate money to them or promote their shit that would otherwise never see the light of the day.

They make feminists and actual female developers look bad and they deserve all the hate they can get.

• It's the internet, who cares.

• There were death threats and doxing on both sides of this "gamergate" thing. Both were vile, but only one was condemned, or even acknowledged by conventional wisdom.

• Brianna Wu is claiming this? I'm highly skeptical, to put it lightly, of anything and everything that comes out of her pitiful mouth.

• The hate is real.

• Never take these sensationalist articles seriously.

• Kojima got death threats when he wanted to end MGS at 2.

• I'm sorry, what?

I thought Flappy Bird was where it ended

• People are fuckin' retarded these days.

• damn, what the fuck is wrong with people? I personally would have challenge the guy

• That's pretty messed up makes me sick they should kill that guy

• Killing is bad,

BUT its true that women have ruined the world of gaming... just as they've ruined everything else they invaded

• Giving death threats is a little much, but I don't mind them attacking her.
    She wasn't attacked because she's a woman in the video game industry. That's just her phony argument to shut down her detractors and garner sympathy.