Which Musical Key is the best?

I've picked some examples of popular musical keys in pop music.

G major and D major is most common keys in pop music, keys give music different moods

If you don't understand the question, I'm asking which "key" sounds better?

All structured music follows a "key", some sound better than others and omit happy upbeat vibe or darker , mysterious tone

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends. As someone with perfect pitch (thank God), I prefer A minor and E minor. There are others as well. It really depends on the piece but in terms of notes... I love the EGB E-minor chord and A minor. And some others. I have to think about this... but pieces don't sound at all the same if you transpose them.

• Uh - why would I be bragging? I was actually just trying to share something I think is beautiful. And the last sentence of my answer is accurate, not bragging. @aliencreature

• @juicybrain I'm not mad so much as... slightly confused lol. I love when people think they are winning by using insults. If you resort to insults you've already lost. And blocking = losing as well. So I don't block. (I also usually don't lose, thank God.)

@aliencreature see above.

• I know what you mean. Once I am into the argument, I don't block either. But I will block immediately if I see it's only a troll. I won't respond once

Most Helpful Guy

• Well when playing metal I'm going to have to say chromatic (duh). But for other stuff how do you choose, really? It depends on how you use it. I use a bunch of odd tunings for my guitar and then also different capo positions, so all my songs probably end up all over the place. I do feel that pitch is relevant, not just interval, but I never find myself deciding that one specific scale is for one specific mood, although I would tune up ever so slightly (say 10hz) so that it sounds just a little bit brighter than everything else. Of course there's still general minor and major feels to a harmony (and alternate tunings help explore that harmonic space), but having specifc scales for very specifc moods? I don't think so, not for me anyway.

So whatever, I'll say D# Major.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aujN3uq6yM0

• So it's atonal? most rock/metal is atonal, and lacks a key

• I feel like the definitions get mixed up sometimes so I'll stipulate. When I think of the chromatic scale in music I think of anything that is would make use of all 12 notes, and I would distinguish atonality as something like Schoenberg where he really tries to used all notes equally. I would say metal isn't atonal, but it doesn't restrict itself to an aeolian or ionian tonic, at the very least I'd call it shifting tonality. If you're going to define anything that isn't major or minor as atonal (and I think some people do) then whatever I guess metal is atonal then, but I feel that's a limiting way of thinking about it.

What Girls Said 2

• I like Kanye West's "Runaway," not sure what key it is in but whenever I play it on the piano I love it :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5iA4Zupek

• Also, to answer your question I don't necessarily have a favorite key to listen music to. But my favorite key to play music is B flat major, 2nd would probably be F major or E flat major, and 3rd would be F# major.

• Bruno Mars!!

What Guys Said 12

• All of those songs suck worse than anything that has ever sucked, in the entire history of time as well as the future
    And by that I mean those songs suck so bad that time itself has collapsed in on itself and formed a singularity that is eclipsed by the sheer suckiness of those songs, that somehow paradoxically the sum of the parts contained within the universe sucks greater than the sum of the whole suckiness of the entire universe from beginning to end in its infinite complexity

Music comes from the heart, not a fucking pandering ass pop chart formula or a musical key, if it fits with these chords you're doing it wrong
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

• A Minor is the most fun to improvise off of on guitar. You have tons of space above and below the root note on the 5th fret to play around.

• I think E minor is great.

My favs are E minor, A minor, D minor and C minor.

• 0|0
  • F# minor is hands down the best key in the world

• 0|0
  • Any key done right is amazing.

• what key is pentatonix's original stuff in?

• I Love when I was your man that's like one of my favorite songs ever 😀😀

• Songs in the key of Life.

• they all sound like shet

• I did not vote, as the music you chose I have never heard (old school here). To say G and D are the most used is not accurate. In most guitar stuff, E major/minor and A major/minor are the most common, while in some folk circles C and G are. In marching band, Broadway Musicals (old ones) and Jazz, flat keys like B flat and E f lat are, due to the fact they are transposing instruments and when they call a note 'C' its actually pitch is either B flat or E flat, depending on the instrument - this is so that when playing a different size sax, the C scale has the same fingering, but with longer and shorter lengths the actual sound is lower or higher. In modern Broadway sharp keys are preferred, because most use the guitar (I own 100 Broadway scores). In orchestral music any key can be found, dependent on the composer. In piano, while C is favored because it uses no black keys and easier to learn, in the music of someone like Chopin, C is usually ignored. Examples that I personally have played: The Etude in E, the Fantaisie-Impromptu of C sharp minor, the Prelude in A major, the Prelude in C minor, the Etude in A flat. Bach wrote a 'Well-Tempered Klavier' (keyboard) in which he has pieces in every single key (two sets). Most Beatles songs are in E, A, D, G, or C minor, G minor, etc. Most harmonica music is in B E A D G as these match up with guitar keys. Source: my 45+ years of being a musician, 25+ of which professionally.

Now you might also want to know that keys are specifically chosen because the tessitura (range and location) of notes fits a voice better, so using the Beatles for example: in The movie Hard Days Night in the song 'I Should Have Known Better' Lennon gets up to a G (with Paul's help on the F sharp and G), but the best part of that first bit of melody his strongest note is E, whereas McCartney hits a G (above that E) effortlessly. McCartney is a tenor, Lennon is a Baritone, and George is a chameleon who can seemingly sing the low harmony, middle one or the highest, and all without having the tone color of his voice ruin the balance or stick out. Their key choices were a combination of ease of playing in Guitar keys (even tho they were masters in banjo-style chording - four note stuff, not barre and not folk - and knew how to play in all keys too) and range of their voices, plus tessitura (range) of the melody line.

In short, there is no such thing as a bad key unless it does not fit the musicians who use it, or you as a sing-along.

• When it comes to modern synth pop, C major, G major are the most common keys...
      The beatles and guitars are obsolete, most music is synths and digitally produced.

Although i like guitar too, Yes i have noticed E major/Min popular key for guitar stuff, or rock or metal.

But in pop music everything is in 4/4 and uses the "safe keys" so to speak

• It's like this: if people listen to the Beatles in 100 years, and not your stuff, then Beatles' keys are more important. What you like makes no difference to what society at large thinks. Since the invention of Equal Temperament in the 18th Century, the distance between two adjacent notes (like b and c) is the same as that between f and f sharp (for example), so, although you like one key more, it can't be better.