The Walking Dead: Why did Beth stab Dawn?

I just watched the episode of Season 5 where Beth stabs Dawn with a pair of scissors and for the life of me I cannot see a possible reason for why she did it. Like, all she had to do was to walk away with Rick and the group. She was an inch away from being free. I also never got the sense that she hated Dawn that much that she would try and kill her, even if she could get away with. Why did she do it? Am i missing something here?

And please people, i'm looking for an actual legitimate reason here, so no philosophical bs please :)

What Girls Said 1

• She had mental issues. Was totally going crazy. Re-watch the episode and pay attention to that factor. She was just losing her mind.

What Guys Said 1

• i hated that plotline so much, the only real blight on an otherwise great s5. i've seen it and reseen it and still have no idea what the idea was to stab her. i mean dawn had a bulletproof vest on and those scissors would barely cut skin to begin with. the trading of people was complete except with noah. i guess we were supposed to buy into the idea that beth wanted noah with the group so much she made a desperate and fatal decision. it just felt like lazy writing more than anything. noah indirectly got 2 people killed and then bit it himself so the plotline seems even more useless than it did when it originally aired.