Agree or Disagree: John Carpenter is one of the most underrated film directors of all-time?

In case you don't know who this man is, he's responsible for a lot of great movies such as the original 1978 Halloween (obviously with Michael Myers), They Live, Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York and most of all, The Thing (the original 1982 film). Whenever someone has a conversation with a group about legendary film directors, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Quentin Tarentino and Steven Spielberg are the 1st four to come up to many people's minds. I've honestly never met a movie fanatic that has ever given Carpenter much credit for his movies, not even for The Thing.

Here's a list of his movies that he's worked on in this wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carpenter_filmography

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • I'm not so sure.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree, he was one of the greatest film directors of all times

Most Helpful Guy

• Not really. He made a lot of crappy, low budget horror movies, and one or two good ones.
    He's maybe on a par with someone like Paul Verhoeven (Starship Troopers, Basic Instinct, Total Recall), behind a bunch of other well known directors (James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Oliver Stone...), and not even in the same league as Hitchcock and Spielberg (Tarantino is shit).

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Yes, it's 100% true, he was one of the best, I like all of his movies.

• That is a lot of shitty sequels though.