Imagine you woke up one day and suddenly it was 1966. What would be your favorite genre of music?

Like a timewarp happened or something. 1966 is argued by some as the greatest year for music. What would you choose as your favorite genre from that magnificent year? The poll lists some examples, however i know many great artists are not listed as there is just too many to really do them justice here.

Pop: Nancy Sinatra/Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass/Dusty Springfield/Tom Jones/The Righteous Brothers

Funk/Soul/R & B: James Brown/Stevie Wonder/The Supremes/Otis Redding/Ray Charles

Country: Johnny Cash/Loretta Lynn/Waylon Jennings/George Jones/Merle Haggard

Jazz: Miles Davis/Cecil Taylor/Chick Corea/Sun Ra/John Coltrane

Rock: The Beatles/Rolling Stones/The Beach Boys/The Who/The Monkees

Folk: Simon & Garfunkel/The Mama's & Papa's/Bob Dylan/The Byrds/Buffalo Springfield

Garage/Psychedelic: Love/Jefferson Airplane/Cream/The Yardbirds/Jimi Hendrix

• Pop
  • Funk/Soul/R & B
  • Country
  • Jazz
  • Rock
  • Folk
  • Garage/Psychedelic

Most Helpful Girl

• I absolutely LOVE psychedelic rock so I chose that on the poll but surf rock is also one of my favourites and pretty popular throughout the 60s so it's a tie between those two.

Most Helpful Guy

• that would be pretty awesome to wake up in that time period. I'd immediately start buying tickets for concerts

I'd be listening to rock

but also would definitely be listening to funk/r&b/soul... folk... Jazz... country

• i think it had to be the best year for music overall, just so much to go through. tons of great rock/psychedelic records and then there's james brown, in the middle of his greatness. just too much man.

• yeah it's crazy. my dad and step mom where around that 16-20 year old age at that time. I'm always so jealous that they got to experience their youth at that time. then I see the concert ticket stubs my step mom collected. she has stubs for shows that cost literally $6 for Bruce Springstein. my dad has a '72 stub for Parliment Funkadelic. he paid $20 for a floor seat.

Across all the genres it seems like music was at a renaissance around the mid 60s

• p-funk in '72? ugh man now i'm going crazy. i would love to have seen that concert.

What Girls Said 12

• awe I have feel like I would be a crazy rocker! hahaha! or a groupie!

• I love songs from every single one of those genres, I couldn't choose. My taste for music knows no bounds!

• None of the above, I dislike 60's music.

• It's too hard to pick! The 60's had so many awesome artists and tunes!

• i think it would be both rock and folk

• Rock and Jazz, but living in the 60's would suck

• All the above. The 60s is one of the best eras of music.

• I really like The Who now. So I'd day rock

• yeah i really like the who from that period, much more than their later records.

• It would be rock.

• I guess r&b and rock

• I would be well into Beatlemania; I'd seek out my Daddy and get to see them play at his 21st ^_^ (if I stayed until '68 I mean..)

• but the beatles stopped playing live in 1966, to concentrate on making studio albums.

• It wasn't an official show, they came to his birthday because he was friends with this girl who was going out with a member of Paul McCartney's brother's band. Her family really disapproved of her wanting to run away with this guy and become an actress, so my Daddy helped her to leave town before they could do anything about it. Later, she arrived at his birthday and said she'd brought some friends with her :')

• Nothing would change, id listen to the same bands i listen to now. Rock would be my fave genre.

• you only listen to bands that were around before 1966 right now?

• you have some excellent taste

• Thanks :)

What Guys Said 8

• In that period of time, I wouldn't be listening music at all...

• I love the Jazz from that era - Easy decision for me.

• i'd invent so much of today's shit! also, i'd invent trap/house music and get rich as fuck!

• you'd invent trap music in 1966? now that would be pretty wild lol

• drugs weren't nearly as potent as it is now, actually... but i could change that real quick XD

• the acid was definitely better back then, otherwise i agree with you. please do change it, we need more quality hallucinogens O_O

• Funkadelic!!! I was raised listening to it.

• Bro, fuck all that, if it was 1966 when I woke up, I would start rapping and become the founder of rap music. Da end.

• I'd listen to music from 40s and 50s. Music got really poopy in the 60s. Which isn't for me. Some good artists though like Hendrix, The Doors. Add the blues :)

• I still perfer classical or opera

• 1980's punk
    1980's rap
    1990's grunge

Regardless of the time I woke up in the music I loved would still be the music I love.