Why do people get offended over a halloween costume?

I don't get why people get so offended when someone is dressed up as Pocahontas or a Geisha. But yet someone of a different race always dresses up as a white princess or character from a movie. I know Halloween is long over but this topic has been really annoying me. The double standards is so real. Another thing also, I saw on a friend's facebook she wanted to get a dreamcatcher tattoo and this person got offended because it's HIS culture and she's not allowed to do that. When funny thing is she is part native and has every right to get any tattoo she desires. I bet someone is going to be offended by my post...

Most Helpful Guy

• We live in butt hurt hyper sensitive times.

Most Helpful Girl

• First there aren't that many black princesses to begin with. I think it's only one. If a little black kid wants to go as a Disney princess, they don't really have much of a variety in that department. Also I think if you are a cosplayer it's different then one Halloween night. And then sometimes if a black person cosplays as a character who is white 9 times out of ten they will be made fun of or told they can't be a certain character. Cosplaying and dressing up for Halloween are two different things (Unless you are a cosplayer and you use your talents for your Halloween costume.) And the thing you said about people doing things from different cultures I too don't see what the big deal is. If someone loves and appreciates your culture what harm are they doing. I think its a good thing that people of all races explore different culture.

What Guys Said 6

• Some people are overly sensitive. They have what is called a victim complex and assume everything about them is an attack or offensive.

• to put it in nicer terms, people are worthless assholes. they try to find any thing and everything to get offended

• Because it seems everyone has a right to borrow from white culture and features, but not the other way around. What I mean is, if a white person would have a problem with a non-white person dressed as a viking, a Scotsman or a white princess, the white person would be called racist. If a white person gets a costume that traditionally belonged to a non-white person, then whites again would be called racist. It's like, if a black girl straightens her hair, it's okay, if a white girl does African hair, it's insulting to blacks. It seems that everyone wants to be a victim, it's like a status symbol or something. Being offended is "in". I understand that people get sensitive when something happened to THEM and their generation, but when people get offended because of things they never lived through, things that happened generations ago, that's just crazy. It's like they claim pain from people who lived long ago, people they never knew who just happened to be a part of the same group, so they could play the victim in modern times, although nothing bad ever happened to them. It's like stealing someone else's story for attention.

• Native Americans experienced years of genocide in America by the ancestors of those kids in costume and the survivors were forced to march across America away from thier homes to settle into new lands they knew nothing about to survive which killed most of the survivors. It's not about race it's about treating a real life human tragedy as a costume. To look at someone walking around with your nearly extinct cultures symbols and clothing with no connection to that pain is an extremely painful experience not to mention insinsitive. Worse part is they don't even have enough survivng native Americans to stand up for themselves. Black face is fought against only because theirs enough people to stand up against how offensive it is. Native Americans just have to sit back and suffer through it. Again. Just like thier ancestors. It's like pissing on thier ancestors graves.

• Of course what happened in the past isn't very nice at all. But our generation that is now alive hasn't killed any Native Americans. What if a child is a huge fan of Pocahontas and wanted to be her for Halloween really badly and suddenly this child is told she's not allowed. A five year old doesn't know any better, all the kid wants is to look up and admire Pocahontas not piss on her grave.

• You are offended just admit that.

• I'm not Native American so personally I'm not offended but I find it to be offensive and cruel

• I think people take things way too seriously these days Halloween costumes why should anyone care what you wear. anybody gets offended over of Halloween costume needs to grow up.

• I think you need to get over people being offended over a Halloween costume. You're all as bad and preachy as each other.

• First time I said something about it actually thank you for you're input.

• I never said you were being rude to me, buddy, I'm just saying let it slide, there are far more pressing matters in life to get angsty about, this isn't one of them.

• You're right that's true.

What Girls Said 2