What does watching anime or japanese shows do?

I want to learn japanese and it is NOT for the anime but i heard that a lot of people say to watch japanese shows or anime in japanese with sub titles... does it really improve your skills?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly you might pick up on a few words, but if you don't pair it with actually studying it traditionally, you won't learn shit. You'll end up relying too much on the subtitles and you won't pay attention to what's being said. So just watching shows won't help. You need to take lessons or get some books to study on your own.

• If you really want a challenge, watch it without subs. Subs are easy mode and won't challenge you at all, like I said you'll just end up relying on them.

• Depends on whether you also study it traditionally. If you don't study Japanese traditionally, then with sub is better. However it won't make much of a difference. I've been watching anime for several years (with subs) and I have picked up on maybe 3-4 phrases and only a few words. You won't learn much this way if you don't take any lessons as well.

• Yes of course.. i have an app called mondly that is good.. and some utube lessons... and il be watching anime with subs

Most Helpful Guy

• What do you mean does it improve your skills? People are just saying to watch them because many of them are indeed cool and awesome to watch. There is no correlation with improvement in 'skills' or something...

• There is in speaking the language... instead of hearing some weird words of some language... if u watch people speak ot.. ull become familiar

• I watch anime with subtitles. I haven't made an actual effort to learn what is said but I recognize many words now.

• Yeaa lol thanks... imma do it

What Girls Said 5

• Generally, watching things in another language will help your skill in speaking that language, so it's worth a try. It's why adults learning Spanish will usually try Dora the Explorer at some point :P

• Lollllll that is hilarious!! And tbh.. if i learn Spanish... i think i will be a fast learner coz i loved dora...

• Yeah, when I was doing my Spanish A-level, it looked like I was a weird 16-17 year old who was obsessed with watching Dora the Explorer and Peppa Pig in a foreign language.

• Yea... Spanish classes are just movies of dors in the theatre... or kts actually the best way to learn in 1 month

• I wouldn't really do it to improve your Japanese. They often speak simplified Japanese in anime. In real life they don't say kawaii as much. You'll pick up some words and even sentences, but you won't really learn Japanese because the grammar and such is very difficult and totally different than English grammar. You're better off with an online course and maybe watch anime at the side.

• Imma watch u tube lessons and anime with subs and i have a good app called mondly

• I don't know! BUT I LOVE ANIME!

• That's how I've been learning, it's a good start.

• How much japanese do u know?

• Basic words and phrases. Pretty much what you would need to get by if you visited Japan for a short period of time.

• Are you planning on learning more japanese? Im planning on going to japan.. why do u want to leanr? If so.. wanna be my partner

• yes and that goes for any language

What Guys Said 0