How Many Pages Can You Read?

For those of you who do read (books such as Divergent, The Giver, etc...) about how many pages do you read in an hour?

Most Helpful Guy

• Really depends on what I'm reading.

For a fun novel--slow down, enjoy it. Take your time to imagine the setting, read each sentence piece by piece.

When I'm reading something to scan it for information, I look at the sentences. Recognize sentence structure and look for keywords. If I'm reading through something to prepare for a test or to review/find specific information, I can get through 50 pages in probably 15 minutes.

• If you really want to speed read, don't read words, don't repeat it in your mind, and sure as hell don't move your lips. Look at the sentences, not the words. Absorb the facts, not the wording and details.

• Thank you, I will definitely try that (:

• Another question: so when you read, do you not sub-vocalize? Do you eyes just glanced at the words as you read on?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I'm a fast reader, last week I read about a 700 page book in a week so depending on how good the book is probably 25-60 pages? Probably I don't time myself lol

• I've been trying to read faster--I've read online that "sub-vocalizing" slows you down (which is something I do--I read the words in my head, but don't move my lips). Do you have any good tips? I love reading & would love to be able to read faster.

• thank for, I'll try it.

• *thank you, I'll try it.

What Guys Said 8

• Never really bothered to count but if I really get into it I can usually finish a 500 page book in a week or so.

• Each book has its own reading demands - Some are heavier more detailed than others I would think an average would be about 25 pages an hour.

• 1 page, over and over again - When high on weed
    10 pages - when high on cocaine
    1 sentence - when high on opium
    I try to eat the book when high on PCP
    I think the book is a TV when high on LSD
    The book looks like a Picasso painting when high on shrooms
    I fall asleep with the book in my hand when high on morphine
    I try to fuck the book when high on ecstasy

• 100 pages an hour for easy material like you mentioned. More 60 or 70 for complex writings like Machiavelli or Dante etc

• Don't read fast if it doesn't let you get the most out of the book. You can try exercises to help increase the speed you process info, that's all I can think of

• About 50.
    (filler)

• 20 pages and an hour and Max 2 hours

• More pages
    Than anyone of you
    If it is a hauiku

• depends a lot on the book

What Girls Said 4

• hmm it takes me a long time like 4 hour to read 80 pages.

• Without taking a break, I can read about probably around 200 pages? I finished reading The Giver in one hour.

• it depends on how interesting the book is. I read a 500 page book in a hour. I read two over 200 page books in a hour. But for s also depends on the size. If its really long in length about 400 pages in a hour.

• Wow, I'm definitely jealous--that's super fast. I love reading--if only I could read that fast, I'd be done with all my "to-read" books by now (:

• no need, when you read very fast your list tens to grow about the times the size. and you always hit a readers low when you feel like you've read everything or there's to many books like the other one you've read. im constantly taking breaks. i don't know if thats for all readers though.

• Dont know never really paid attention to it. I usually read like a 500 page book in two days though. Not a clue what that equals in pages per hour because im not reading it constantly through those two days so...