How to make a photography project on self identity?

I have this project to hand in at the start of December and the theme is self identity but i have to show different techniques such as shutter speed and editing etc. I dont want to take photos of myself the whole project. any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know I can ask my sister though she has a photography degree

Most Helpful Girl

• Not all self portraits contain the self as the subject, but they still are about the artist themselves. I think it's cool when people photograph on the subject of self identity but don't use themselves in the photos--sometimes it's harder to do but it can provide more interest for the viewer. For one of my photo classes a few years ago, I took pieces of notebook paper with poems on it that I've written, and paired the poetry with objects and things that I think define me or are important to me. I shot with various angles and depths of field. So basically like a still life that was a reflection of who I am. You could try layering textures or color overlays when you edit, if that's something you think would add to your concept. Also maybe try to experiment with lighting--make it moody, or cast broad shadows, or use diffused window light, etc. I don't know if you're allowed to do this or if this would interest you, but often I pair my self portraits (or other photographs that are personal to me) with text--like I'll write a line of poetry and present it next to my pieces and it helps with interpretation and concept. That's just me though. Hopefully at least something in my ramble helps you a little!

What Guys Said 1

• I think you could take some pics of the place where you live and the things you like, it's a different stuff but is about you.

What Girls Said 1

• it doesn't have to be just about you. it can be about capturing things that make up you. say you're into art. you could arrange a few paints and or paint brushes, get a really good angle happening, focus and take it.

or for shutter speed, say u like blowing bubbles for example, u could set ur camera up with self timer, and it'd take a few shots for you. stuff like that.

it's just about creatively showing off a few parts of your personality that contribute to your identity. your teacher would see that u thought outside the box and turned yourself into an art form =]
    good luck!