Tell me great movies about war?

I love movies that teach me something, that leave unforgettable impression on me, so if you know such movies about war please tell me <3

Oh you should try Georgian movie ,, Tangerines"

Most Helpful Guy

• If I may say so, I am the perfect person to answer this question. War movies are my favourites and I have a large collection of DVD's. Take this list and have fun.

My Way,
    Downfall,
    Das Boot,
    Cross of Iron,
    Battle of Britain,
    Dirty Dozen,
    Von Ryans Express,
    The Great Escape,
    Stalingrad (1993),
    Leningrad,
    Band of Brothers series,
    The Pacific series,
    A Bridge too far,
    The Longest Day,
    The Desert Fox*,
    08/15 (three films)*,
    Dunkrik*,
    Battle of the Bulge,
    The Eagle has landed.
    Saints and Soldiers (three films)*
    Black Hawk Down*,
    Platoon,
    We were soldiers,
    Apocalypse now,
    Full Metal Jacket,
    The Patriot,
    Gettysburg,
    Gods and Generals,
    Memphis Belle,
    All Quiet on the Western Front (there is a 1979 version and a 1930 version. I prefer the 1930),
    White Tiger*
    Patton*
    Pearl Harbor 2001

I know many more, but I guess thats enough. The ones with a * at the end are not so good movies. I suggest them only if you're a screen junkie like me. Everything else is awesome and I suggest beginning with My Way which is one of the craziest real stories or Downfall. Below I give you the trailer for My Way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYk5ww8Jjc

Most Helpful Girl

• The only war movies I can tell you are Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. Though if you're looking for more informative than entertainment then there's one called "The Gettysburg Story".

Jee, bet you can't guess where I'm from.

What Guys Said 14

• Tons of great war movies in this thread, but I'll mention a couple of others. WWII has always fascinated me, both in the "wow, what strange and interesting weapons, vehicles, and ideas they came up with" sense, and also in the "how did anyone let this happen?" sense. As I got older and I studied it, I came to understand the latter, and the crazy train of events that allowed it to happen.

Anyway, I got particularly interested in the Holocaust, and the "why didn't they fight back?" question. The following two movies speak to that, each from a different perspective.

The Grey Zone (2001) is about death camp prisoners who were given the choice of "die now, or become a part of the mechanism that helps kill lots of others." These prisoners actively participated in the extermination of tens of thousands of other prisoners, yet they did what little they could to fight back, and to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0Cbi7-evg

Uprising (2001) is the (based on a) true story of a small group of Jews who fought back during the liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto (when the Germans, who had moved Jews and others into this sealed ghetto for "temporary storage" had started to empty it out and send train-loads of them to the extermination camps). This very small group was able to hold of the much larger and better-equipped German army for weeks, and allowed a small few to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2p6xu6P1U

• Some which weren't mentioned already:
    Full metal Jacket - Vietnam war
    Born on the 4th of July - "
    Platoon - "

All Quiet on the Western Front - 1WW
    The imitation game - 2WW (it's more about enigma and not front war but leaves an impression;))
    Saving private Ryan - 2WW
    Schindler's list (mainly about holocaust but definitely leaves an impression)

Those are some I know and liked but u can also use google;) u will find many more.

war is cruel but it shows the best and the worst in human nature

• Glory
    Saving Private Ryan
    Black Hawk Down
    We Were Soldiers
    Lone Survivor
    Act of Valor
    The Longest Day
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Band of Brothers

• Ben Hur might count. I don't remember that exact story, being forever since I saw it, but it sure was an amazing film.
    I don't know how many know this, but the race in Star Wars Episode I was based on a scene from it.

• I recently saw the movie The Lone Survivor and I loved it!

• If you want a realistic and non-sugar coated look at what it's like to be a soldier, i recomend watching Jarhead. It's not typical action and focuses on the emotions of deployed troops, like how to deal with leaving a lover behind when you deploy

• OMG there are so many. One of my absolute favs is 12 o clock High with Gregory Peck.

• American sniper, The Expendables' series, lone survivor, black hawk down, enemy at the gates.
    Starship troops.

• War Horse
    water diviner

• The end of my semestar.. you won't find a bigger war then this.

• Schindler's List

• Apocalypse now and fury

• Pink Floyd's The Wall

• The Patriot is a good one. It's about the American Revolutionary War.

What Girls Said 7

• The Pianist , Dirty Dozen !

• -i ran out of ideal pear habor.

• Movies about wars are usually fictional and stylized. You're better off looking for documentaries.

• This is TRUE, and everyone needs to go into a movie knowing this (movies =/= documentary!).

Having said that, there is plenty to learn, and to help you relate to things, that you can get from watching a movie. You just have to always remember the "Hollywood effect" that you are seeing and filter it out where necessary.

• Pearl Harbor is my favorite movie in the world <3 Ben afleck and Kate Beckinsale do such a great job as an on-screen couple and I just love Kate Beckinsale.
    Joan of Arc feat. Milla Jovovich, my favorite actress is great as well, although really dark and heartbreaking, especially around the end.

• Saving private ryan

• War horse, saving private ryan, black hawk down, all quiet on the western front, the lone survivor, pearl harbor, inglorious basterds, the boy in the striped pajamas, the book thief

• Come and See is the best film about war I've seen so far.