Why is it ok when some singers lip sync their performances on tv, but when Milli Vanilli did it years ago they lost their Grammys?

I was watching the Thanksgivind Day Parade I noticed all the singers insturments and voices sounded like a recording and lip sync. Why can they get by with it and Milli Vanilli couldn't?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, milli vanilla wasn't just lip syncing, they had entirely different vocalists do their studio recorded audio. Many artists do lip sync for stuff like parades or certain live events but at least their art is their own to begin with.

• so pretty much they lied?

• Yep, anyone caught doing the same thing would lose they Grammy as well. But let's face it, the world is just a little bit better with out milli vanilli even if they didn't lie.

• I think I remember there were lawsuits too

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think lip sync is acceptable!

What Guys Said 3

• I think it's mostly because it's more convenient to have them lip syncing during the parade than it is having a live performance... the artists are only performing for about thirty seconds, so just playing the song on a speaker is a lot less of a hassle than making sure everyone's microphone is working and all the other set up required for a real performance.

• Well... I suppose lip syncing has become the norm now, especially for pop music acts, and is not longer considered the devil it once was.

• Because they exposed it and they had to be made an example of. But now it's widely accepted by pop audiences.