What do you think about the new female "Thor" and "Wolverine"?

What do you think about a females taking on the mantle of male characters (in the realm of comic books) like these men who have been in comics for probably 40 years.

What do you think about the new female

Most Helpful Girl

• Not sure, because see female Thor is totally cool and all but couldn't they come up with other superheroes who are badass ladies? Marvel needs to start getting more creative!

Most Helpful Guy

• I mean, I'm all for having more women in key rolls. That being said, I'm not sure this is the best way to do it. I am more ok with X-23 becoming Wolverine. She is Logan's clone/daughter and has worked with him on X-Factor teams and such, so it isn't that odd that she would take his place now that he's old man Logan.

Jane as Thor is quite a bit weirder. One, I'm not really clear why wielding mjolnir makes her Thor. I mean, it wasn't a title or codename, it was his actual name. Betaray Bill didn't start going by Thor for the stint that he was wielding mjolnir.

I don't mind that Logan is no longer going to be featuered as much, but I'm going to miss Odinson.

What Girls Said 7

• Well based on the original comic concept Thor could be a woman (and will be) simply because she is able to pick up the hammer! Anyone could be the new "Thor" if they have the power to wield the hammer... but Thor should keep his name wtf Marvel?
    And I don't know about you but I am SUPER EXCITED for Jessica Jones getting her own badass series! I think DC's stupid Superwoman series looks like absolute shit because they thought "Oh she's just a woman so we will make it some cheap little romantic comedy series, where she only occasionally does something other than flirt like an airhead!". But Marvel was like "Um no that's dumb as fuck, Jessica Jones is going to be a total badass fuck that flowery boring romcom shit"...
    Though I might be biased because my dad raised me to be a Marvel fan... But that superwoman shitty series was a giant disappointment.

• I loved your opinion and thank you for bringing up other characters besides the one I mentioned. Shows you really are a Marvel girl.

• Thanks! I also really excited to see David Tennant as The purple man! He was my favourite doctor on Doctor Who! And I really love Jessica Jones' story as a character and really relate to her but her comics were more obscure and oriented toward adults so I never in a million years would have expected this series to happen. That just makes it even more exciting!

• I'm indifferent. I can see why people might like them but I'm not too excited. Not that I care that they've been made female but as others have said, the lack of ideas for new female characters is depressing. Rehashing old ideas gets old quick. I'm interested to see where these go though and maybe I'm bitter cause I love me some manly Thor :P

• I don't read comic books but I think it's good. Women should also have the right to be portrayed as heroines. So, I think it's fair.

• I think they should have made new female characters or just ramped up the old ones in the media. like scarlett from the avengers movie is badass... I don't think the original heroes should be replaced, because there's nothing interesting about hearing the same old stories over and over.

• Thorlina and Wolverina huh?

I don't know they look weird lol. sometimes superheroes should only come in 1 gender i reckon.

• Not much since i don't keep up with comics!

• Granted you don't read comics to understand the stories, but do you think it shows a big step for women to be taking on important roles?

• I guess so! I don't really care lol! But i have to stay its nice to see a women as hero! Simply because I want be some hero someday! hahah

• I think it's weird

What Guys Said 8

• Omg this again? no just no, stop making the classic characters/heroes/heroines different race and genders, keep them the same I mean I haven nothing against heroes, heroines of different races of genders but if you do that then make up or introduce new heroes and heroines don't change or modify existing ones it's ridiculous.

I mean there have been people who were subjected to the same experiments wolverine went through why couldn't you make up a new gal for that.

And Asgard is filled with women who are warriors, goddess, and sorceresses so why not introduce one of them or bring one of the existing ones into the spot light?

Totally against totally doing 360s like this in anything movies, comics all of it with situated characters, it's only done to appease the more liberal people and media.

Plus there are plenty of women heroes they could already focus on to make more popular, cat woman, wonder women, super woman, black canary, black widow, bat girl, phoenix, power girl, invisible woman, hawkgirl etc, etc I could go on for quite a bit but you get my point in short it's stupid idea.

• Ugh... we're not going to have a CATMAN somewhere to replace CATWOMAN right?

I prefer someone more feminine but strong rather than the classic hero type for my heroine. Possibly a super villain turning into a heroine because the world is so distorted by the media and the glamour of heroes like some sort of pop-icon that the old villain is actually pretty decent.

She would have a goal, a desire and purpose so powerful that she will do anything for it (needs to be something a little evil). She would love but never lose her purpose. She would be heart broken but never surrender. She would be hated by the world but never stop fighting it. There would those who fight against her, who would fight with her, those who will betray her and those who will unexpectedly help her. However, one thing that she will never change is her goal. She will never give it up no matter what.

• Absolutely the dumbest idea that the comics are coming out with yet. The only reason why is because everyone is afraid of not being "Tolerant" of others.
    It would be fine if they were children of the heroes, but not the characters that we all know and love. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

• Why change something that's not broken? I feel like they're changing genders just to make them seem more socially acceptable; should've just created entirely new characters.

• I want to see female thor get naked. That's all I have to say about that.

• Think it's a dumb ploy to try to keep these superheroes relevant.

• That just sends the message that women are incapable of being popular characters so they just wait for men to do it and then purloin the character. They should just try revamping female characters like Wonder Woman instead to make her popular. This is supposedly done in the name of promoting women but it actually is just making women look incompetent.

• Fucking stupid.