Would you refuse to listen to a certain artist if you disagreed with his/her sexual preferences?

For xample would u refuse to listen to Elton John coz he’s gay?

• refuse...
  • not refuse...

Most Helpful Girl

• Yup, it's my right to refuse, besides, Donna Summer also never supported LGBT, so I agree with her.

• surprisingly enough she had many gay fans and her song "I Feel Love" is actually a gay anthem...

• Not true. She explained the false accusation in one of the interviews, and she said she speaks to her gay friends.

• @MrDetermined Nah, she said that only because she wanted them to continue buying her music records & tapes... it's purely for economic reasons.

Most Helpful Guy

• No.
    I'm not a fan of homosexuality but I have great respect for Elton John, Freddy Mercury and Neil Patrick Harris. So anything they release that is of good quality, I will listen to.

Heck even for movies/tv shows, George Takei and John Barrowman are amazing actors.
    What they do off screen is irrelevant as with all over actors.

What Girls Said 22

• No, that has nothing to do with the persons talent or them as an artist. That's kind of like saying " would you refuse to listen to a certain artist if your morals didn't match up with theirs? Like for instance, the Rolling Stones because Mick Jaggar reportedly slept with 4,000 women". It's kind of the same thing, I don't have to agree with their lifestyle but their lifestyle has nothing to do with their music. So, I don't have to agree with it. If I like their music, nothings going to change that.

• Yeah I might.

• What a silly question. I don't disagree with anyone's sexual preferences. Music is music.

• That would be a pointless idea. Yes, I would LOVE to starve myself of the enjoyment I get listening to this great band or artist just because they're different. (Sarcasm) The only way that would even affect the artist is if you got an entire rally of people to stop listening, which I highly doubt you could do unless you were in a highly narrow minded community.

• if the music rock my socks than why not!

• No I wouldn't. Music is very important in my life and I love so many artists! I don't care if they are gay, straight, bisexual, transgender or heterosexual. Their sexual preference plays no part of their ability as an artist.

• I don't disagree with homosexuality.

I do however disagree with much older guys dating/having sex with much younger underage girls and stop listening to their music after finding out about it

• I wouldn't care. I'm listening to the music because I like it.

• No. That's dumb to me.

• Of course not! I have nothing to do with their sexual lives. Just because their sexual orientation is different than mine, it doesn't mean they can't be good singers or that I can't like their music.

• Absolutely not I love Sam Smith and Frank Ocean and they're both gay.

• I would never...

I don't listen to Justin bieber because he's stupid tho

• No. Tchiakovsky was gay but I still like his music.

• That'd be p fucking stupid lmao

• Well I listen to Queen so I am unbiased.

• Nah. I care about music more.

• It doesn't matter they are all people too. So of course I'll still listen to it

• It wouldn't matter to me, the music would still be good.

• Lmfao no who tf cares? Oh wait, assholes and ignorant people care!

• Well I refuse to listen to R Kelly because he has a sexual preference for little girls. Other than that kinda shit, I don't care.

• holy crap i listen to some old songs from R Kelly right now... wot a coincidence huh?

• Haha, and those were probably in the days he got exposed too lol. Sleeping with little kids.

• it's basically from his 90s era... down low... half on a baby... etc... :)

• Of course not. Their sexual preferences have no bearing on their art or talent. If I like what they are creating, I'll listen to them.

• Nope, i dont care. If the musics good ill listen to it...

What Guys Said 21

• What does a person's sexual orientation have to do with their art? Elton John ROCKS, and he is a LEGEND!! So what if he is gay, or whatever? why do you care if you like what they create?
    How shallow, judging someone's artistic contribution, based on their sexual orientation!!

• I will refuse. Because then I can tell people and start flame wars while avoiding music I wouldn't have enjoyed anyway.

Except Lion King's Circle of Life. There's an exception to all rules.

• i could care less what a person's sexual orientation is, as long as their music is good i'll listen

seems really bizarre to not listen to something you like simply because of a person's sexual preference.

• I don't know. I guess I probably wouldn't refuse. I didn't know Joshua Kadison was gay, but I still listen to his music. Just because I like his music doesn't mean I need to like him. And just because I like him (if I did) doesn't mean I need to like his music.

• Unless he prefers children then no, I wouldn't care about his sexual preferences.

• No, Elton John is a great performer. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with the character of an individual.

• Nope, I don't think so. If they are a legitimate artists, write their own songs, play their music live, and are actually creative, then what does it matter?

• That is pretty extreme. What I care about is the type and quality of the music.

• I don't disagree with the LGBTQ+ community so I don't care what music I listen to lol

• I don't give a flying f* about their lives. MJ was accused of all sorts of things, did that make his music any less good? No!

• No because that's silly. As someone who's always been surrounded by music and everything you can possibly think of that might have anything to do with music, I have always been unbiased towards who I listen to. I listen to Natalia Kills, and her personality definitely isn't that great, so...

• That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. haha

If it sounds good. Sure!

• no i don't really care about them as a person as long as the song is good

• I listen to Justin Bieber even though I don't like lesbians

• I would not

• No, it's cuz his music blows.

• You like doing sexual things with guys, awesome! I like doing sexual things with females, just keep making that good music.

• I don't disagree with anyone's sexual preferences... What is this, the 20th century? And even if I did, the music is what matters. Even if the singer was a mass murderer if he made amazing music I would listen to it

• wot if he killed yer mom? :P

• As it stands now, 14% of women and 19% of men are retarded...

• Yeah I would, it's a democratic society, we have a right to refuse is some artist is a pedo, or something like that.

• I don't like that type of music anyway... his sexual preferences have nothing to do with that.