Better Actors than Leonardo Dicaprio?

Here's my list of living actors with more range and/or believability than Dicaprio:
-Denzel Washington (both)
-Johnny Depp (range)
-Matthew McConaughey (believability)
-Robert DeNiro (believability)
-Tom Hanks (both)
-Will Smith (believability)

Here's my list of actors who are not as good as Dicaprio:
-George Clooney (believability)
-Chris Evans (believability)
-Ben Affleck (both)
-Matt Damon (both)
-Liam Neeson (range)
-Ryan Gosling (both)

What are your lists? Do you agree or disagree with any of the actors I listed?

• Dicaprio's the best out right now
  • I've seen better than Dicaprio

Most Helpful Guy

• Interesting question and a good list... Don't think I agree re Johnny Depp, personally I find he's essentially Johnny Depp in anything I've seen him in (admittedly not a great deal). Tom Hanks is a great actor so I'd keep him in the top half of your list but, like George Clooney (who I'd also place higher) I do find half the enjoyment I get from his films is in actually watching him act if that makes sense, so I don't completely forget he's Tom (or George), I just enjoy what they do with characters and enjoy watching them on screen.

While I generally agree with the bottom half of your list I would say that even if they're not perfect actors, with the exception of Chris Evans whose work I don't know I still enjoy watching them all - they all have talent, it's just a question of degree and application.

Re Dicaprio, for years I thought I didn't rate him at all, he seemed too young for some parts (or maybe I'm just too old!) and Titanic was just over-hyped, I honestly don't know what I think of that film now, it's just been done to death. But in recent years I have come to appreciate what a great actor he is - Catch Me If You Can was probably the first film that really flipped the switch for me (also with a great turn from Tom Hanks), and since then I've liked everything I've seen him in, The Aviator in particular stands out. Is he the greatest actor working today? Who's to say... but he's definitely up there.

Now - where's Kevin Spacey on your list? I do like that guy, American Beauty got me hooked and since then I don't think I've seen him put in a bad performance. Most recently I saw him in Casino Jack, not perhaps a great film but a great performance I thought. And no Pacino or Nicholson? Maybe they're too old too, just like me... :)

Most Helpful Girl

• That is a great list although I love Liam Nesson.

What Guys Said 12

• Lol! Johnny deep has about as much acting range as a stick. He literally plays the same type of character, with the same cast and same director. He's the most overrated actor. Leonardo dicaprio is good, but he's not amazing. Clooney is also overrated, although he was amazing in o brother, where art though. The best actors on that list you have are Denzel, hanks, deniro, Damon and neeson.

Will smith could be, but he does a lot of shitty movies too. I'm not gonna comment on Matthew mcconaughey cause I haven't seen too many of his movies. Chris Evans has only really done captain America (with a few random roles) so I don't know why he's on this list. Affleck is a better director than actor. And im on the fence with gosling whether he's a good actor or not

• Chris Evans has performed in over 20+ films, including: The Marvel franchise films, Not Another Teen Movie, What's Your Number, Fantastic Four franchise, Puncture, and Street Kings to name a few. That's why he's on the list

Also, Depp has impeccable range. I would agree if we were only considering the past 10 years but if you're talking over a career, there's: Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Blow, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Finding Neverland, Cry-Baby, Dear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 21 Jumpstreet, etc. So many different genres and styles from this man, you must admit

• You're actually right about the actor thing. Again, this is where I got my name from:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

And yes, it's in chronological order and it doesn't make sense when you watch it in your entirety. And yes, it's listed as the worst movie of all time.

I meant A list actors and most B list actors.

• I think he has a really large range. He has done a LOT of different accents and he has pulled them off very well. I think his range is wider than Johnny Depps. Johnny has done some versatile stuff like Sweeney Todd but I feel he still has some traits that he can't shake and that show up in every film.

• I don't agree with the benchmark being Leonardo... I would say Robert DeNiro or Denzel Washington have been in way more better movies than DiCaprio. For that matter the truly elite actors would consist of Jack Nicholson, Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman, in addition to Denzel and DeNiro.

All of these guys have 1 to 3 Oscars, Leonardo has zip. I am not saying he isn't a really good actor, he has been in some awesome movies that I like.

• Who in the right minds would forget to mention Liam Neeson?

• You wanna talk about range and believability you gotta add Daniel Day-Lewis and Jack Nicholson. Overall, though I agree with most of the list, though I would put Clooney above DiCaprio and take Johnny Depp off. He lost it all for me after Lone Ranger. Though I also think Ben Affleck is underrated a lot though.

• Daniel Day-Lewis!

• BOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOO LEO IS GOD! BOOOOOOOOOOO

• I like this question, but I think that Matt Damn has great believability.

• I believed him in Behind the Candelabra! However, there were still elements of "Matt Damon" and not enough "Scott Thorson" for me so I had to give it to Dicaprio for the believability aspect. What films would you recommend so that I could be able to see more of the believable roles?

• How? I don't want to watch it because I don't like the fact that the screenplay was copied from another screenwriter and Affleck and Damon claimed it as their own. I'm not a fan of inauthenticity and would rather not support something that doesn't credit the right parties. Like I said, it's just a personal thing

• Who was the original screenwriter and what was the original screenplay?

• Jack Nicholson

• clooney.

a rock.

• Steve Buscemi is the best actor known to mankind.

• The only thing I've seen with him is "Catch me if you can" so I can't judge. He seemed pretty good though

What Girls Said 2

• Dicaprio's the best out right now

• I love Leo. I think John Travolta is awesome, corny but awesome. I like Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, and a lot of other people.