Which is the best fantasy series of all time?

Movies, Tv series, or books

• Star Wars
  • Lord Of The Rings
  • Harry potter
  • Game of Thrones
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Star Trek
  • Other
*Best Fantasy, Sci Fi, Fairy tale, High Fantasy, or erotic high fantasy with swords series ever?

Most Helpful Girl

• Star Trek no fucking question. Actual space ships have been named after Star Trek ships, so many phrases and memes and such come from Star Trek, it was revolutionary for its time (first interracial kiss, first strong independent non-stereotypical black woman) and there's a new series for every generation with leads played by black men and women as the captains. Star Trek gave people hope for the future, that we could all move past racism and sexism and destroying the earth and actually progress and peacefully explore the Galaxy and beyond.

• Technically Lord of the Rings was extremely revolutionary and it became the basis of most modern fantasy today (basically fantasy's dad). During the time that he did it these things were never even heard of or imagined. People didn't know what to think or feel about it. Didn't he create or modernize almost all of his creatures that are so common today? Such as Orcs, Elves, Treants, etc? I could be slightly off so don't take it as 100% fact.

It made a huge impact in our culture. It has what feels like a million movies and memes and phrases and has huuuuge lore and conferences. Heck, so does Harry Potter. That has theme park attractions, even (I so want to go to Diagon alley).

My point is that I don't think there technically is a "best" one. There's only a "favorite" one. They all are really unique and special in their own ways. They all have had a huge impact on society and in the writing world. They all are extremely successful series.

• @mekkalyn very true, but the lord of the rings, at least the movies, were boring as fuck. I sat theough all the movies just so I would know what al the hype was about and it was just so fucking boring. So both series are revolutionary, but I chose Star Trek simply because lotr bored me to death. And anyways, lotr is more fantasy, Star Trek is sci fi.

• Oh, of course, everyone will have their favorites :) I was just pointing out that all of those series are technically really fantastic and all have a really solid position in "best fantasy series".

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• I have respect for every one of these. They all are extremely successful, and I think it's ignorant to say that there is a best one. At this point it's extremely subjective. There will be fans of each series that think it's the best. Very few people can really be subjective and take a look at all the different aspects of these novels and compare. And really, I don't think its fair of the literature to do that. So, I have mutual respect for all of them.

But I do have a favorite, of course, and it's Harry Potter! I've read a lot of dystopians, fantasies, etc. and nothing ever comes close to my Harry Potter. It was my first big series that I've ever read and it has strong connections with my grandma (we fan-girled over every book and always had a special day together when the new book or movie came out). I always get the feels when I read the series again (I'm on my 12th time rereading the whole series). I always feel the exact same feelings in the exact same parts no matter how often I read them! It's just one of those books that have had a huge impact on my life and my interests.

I think that the series is wonderful, the characters feel alive and complex, the plot is exceptionally interesting in all of her books (even if they follow things that have already been written before in a different way). The thing J. K. has going against her is time. If she had jumped on it sooner (and was born sooner) I think she'd have a lot more respect than she does today. But it's not like she has plagiarized anything, so I can't penalize her writings for coming later to the game and being technically less unique/original than the others. She took now common ideas and twisted them into her own unique story, adding a lot of creativity and imagination forming her world. Her world is very vivid, partially because she made the smart choice of combining muggle with wizard world, so it really feels immersive and real.

That's one big issue I have with other fantasy novels is that they sometimes feel too far fetched, like they could never ever possibly be real. Harry Potter feels realest to me. I have major props for Tolkien and his middle earth, because that took a lot of work and imagination to make something that massive, but I could never get into it or feel like it was "real". And I didn't like his characters nearly as much, they seemed boring and bland. But I still loved Lord of the Rings, and it is just as good technically (if not better) than Harry Potter.

• "Very few people can really be subjective and take a look at all the different aspects of these novels and compare"
      I mean objective, not subjective *

• I personally choose GoT, the books. I've read all the books, they're amazing. And you can't put them down. I would devour chapters to get to Tyrion or Dany's chapters.
    Such good books.

• hmmm Hunger games?

• I picked Harry Potter but I would have chosen HP and LOTR if you could pick two.

• Game of Thrones!!! <3 <3 <3

• the tv show is ruining it : (((((

whens the next book coming out?

• I doubt he'll live long enough to finish his last book : ( plus he's a bro and he's chicken wings and beer while watching every football game ever

• @pavlove Yeah the tv show caught up to the books already, think they will go their own way now.

• Lord of the Rings for life. I grew up on it and you find it in almost every thing done in the fantasy genre. Books, lore, movies, games they are all great! I'm still trying to work though the Silmarillion though.

• Yeah the Silmarilion is kinda an odd book out, it was published after the author died and if i remember correctly its mostly about the elves.
      Seems like you dont hear about it that much.

• Yeah it is more like a history book but it has some really great tales that make The Lord of the Rings even better. you can even catch some references to them in the movies! Tolkien didn't finish it though, his son put it together.

• Yeah, i remebered it was something like that.

• Laurell HAMILTON's Anita blake series.
    <3 Jean claude

• I absolutely ADORE LOTR, but voted Harry Potter because the characters were real type people, not archetypes. It was cool how the epic battle of good and evil raged alongside everyday concerns like jealousy, loneliness, love, friendship, etc.

What Guys Said 11

• There's HP... and all of HP's haters

"The Stories we love live with us forever so whether you come back by page or big screen, Hogwarts will be there to welcome you home." -J. K. Rowling

• Took a long time waiting for Hermione Granger to grow up, but well worth it. Coz Emma Watson <3 lol

• Definitely Pokamen

• I used to love Harry Potter when i was young. I've never been a fan of Star Wars :/

• Adventure time and regular show

• a song of ice and fire for sure. such fantastic novels especially the third one, A storm of swords. love em.

• The Dresden File

• lord of the rings surely but the other ones I haven't watched so I can't say really

• GOT is just LOTR with sex and less style. As for your other options, they don't even compare.

• Never watched Star Trek, never will the actors seem really unappealing and its just way to nerdy for me.

• my favorite was the inheritance books, except the last one

• You are mixing Fantasy with Science Fiction, you should have made two different polls, one for each genre.
    Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings and Game Of Thrones are fantasy, but Star Trek and Star Wars are SF.
    My favorite Fantasy series is Harry Potter, but my favorite Sci-Fi is Star Trek.
    Of course, there are many other great Fantasy series like The Chronicles Of Narnia, or Once Upon A Time... as well as some cool SF series like Doctor Who, Andromeda, Farscape, Lexx, Terminator etc.

• Guess that is true, but science fiction definitely qualifies as fantasy.

• As a sub-genre yes, but there are many other sub-genres of Fantasy, for example, Game Of Thrones belong to sub-genre of High-Fantasy. The others are mostly Fantasy-Fiction and Fairytale based, unlike Sci-Fi.

• There you go.