Why do people like Shooter type games?

So games like Call of duty and halo.

Most Helpful Guy

• Easy to pickup and play. Other genres of game are more technical (fighting games have advanced stick/pad motions + button combinations, each RPG has a completely different battle system, abilities list & items to learn, sports games have advanced control features in game that make regulars WAY more advantaged to win vs casuals).

Shooters are walk, look, shoot, throw frag, aim down sight, change weapon. 8 year olds pick up FPS games really fast. Have that 8 years old kid try doing that with Diablo 3, Madden or Tekken Tag Tournament. Poor kid will get frustrated just trying to learn the basics!

Also, guns have always had a machismo appeal to them as well.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally just find them to be an amazing stress & aggression reliever :P

What Guys Said 30

• I think the ease of accessibility is a major attraction point for me. At its base, a shooter game is the REALLY simple process of moving a crosshair over a target, and pressing a button at just the right time. And the result on the screen is often pretty satisfying.

It also caters to a lot of interests like in the power fantasy where an action hero solves all of her or his problems by shooting things.

And shooting things can be fun! Whether it's a concrete wall, an exploding barrel, or a guard with a tranquilizer, there's a certain satisfaction that comes with precisely shooting a target and seeing it explode, break apart, give off some smoke, or fall asleep because of your action.

As a result of this shooter mechanic being so basic, a lot of games are designed around this concept, so shooter games are very prevalent and popular as a result.

I guess shooter games are popular for the same reason why movies with violence are popular.

• Mostly because online multiplayer exploded. They were always pretty big, even dating back to the days of Doom and Duke Nukem, but the online thing turned the entire genre into a casual shoot-fest. This is one of the reasons why so-called "real" gamers tend to look down their noses at FPS fans.

I can't stand multiplayer so I miss the days when we used to get great shooter campaigns, like the earlier days of Medal of Honor. Hell, I thought the original Red Faction on PS2 was awesome, and I loved Rage. I just can't stand running around in circles doing the same thing over and over and OVER. Which is all online multiplayer is, as far as I'm concerned.

• I don't like CoD anymore. Not since CoD4 which was the last good one that actually had distinguishable improvements from the previous installments. The rest are shit.

Although I don't have a console and have never played it, I'm a fan of Halo and I have seen playthroughs of all games now. One of the rare shooters with an actual story.

But to answer your question, most people like them because they're a fun way to sit back and mindlessly shoot at things and people without thinking it over. No one takes it seriously of course.

• tbh i only play games im good at because im competitive, if i fail at a game and dont do very well i will usually get bored of it.

i have played call of duty and halo ( HALO IS BEST ) and have crazy high K/D/A for a casual player, and doing good pretty much every game makes you feel like you are accomplishing something.

• i have played a few games professionally in Esport tournaments for a cash prize, at least that allows me to validate to my family why i play games all day >.<

• The best shooter currently is Splatoon! It's nintendos first take on a shooter and it's almost like paintball by it's not! Search it up its addicting!

• I don't like them, never have... I prefer Fighting games, RPG games, Horror Survival games and Point & Click Adventure games.

• Well cod has zombies and halo has custom games and forge which adds more variety to the game play.

• You forgot Battlefield D;

• because they are... fun? I'm definitely not a call of duty fan and not even the biggest halo one, but shooting at stuff is fun

• Because it's mindless fun, nothing more nothing less. Show me someone who doesn't indulge in any frivolous entertainment and I'll show you a liar

• I love some shooters like Battlefield and Halo, I even like Bioshock & Fall out because they are genuinely fun online and offline experiences. However nothing compares to the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - the best game I have ever played.

• Because they're fun, most likely.

• It's the first view thing. makes you very immersed on the game.
    when they are well done, you feel all that suspention, trying to not make noises, or run, etc.

gotta try bro.

• Strategy, just like playing paintball, you try to outdo your opponent who is also trying to outdo you.

Just like a board game, seeing who will be the better player. XD

• Because it satisfies my more... primal cravings lol, killing (not real) people is relaxing.

Releases my negative feelings.

• because they are competitive, and the competition makes them entertaining.

• True I heard COD became an esport. So there are people who play it and get paid for winning tournaments for them.

• yea exactly. counter strike is the same deal. It's all just really competitive. Even without the esports, shooter games just have a way of generating a lot of competition between people

• Wished I knew... but I do like them.

• I like Halo it just feels good to kill kids online and hearing them cry lol.

• i dunno, i guess they like boring unoriginal drivel.

yes i went there! :P

• I don't know Call of Duty but I LOVE HALO!

• Because they get to kill perfectly legally? I don't know

• I like them because they are fun.

• Exciting. Good storyline, good action. Doing things that would be really cool in real life, so we can pretend and mentally get in the story.

Also, with xbox live, you are in fact fighting and competing against other live players, so you're not just fighting a computer program, but you are "killing" or being "killed" by other people. Competition.

• because there fun to play with and it helps with your anger

• I wouldn't know because I prefer RPGs and turn-based strategy games. However, I'm not the typical guy anyways because I also hate sports games.

• Because it's really competitive but Halo is actually fun because the weapons are kinda unique.

• Easy playing games and fun to play with friends. I always love the campaigns

• i dont. I only like open world games and pokemon.
    I like games more for the exploration rather than the combat.

• hey mustachekitteh, this is off topic but what show is your profile picture from?

• okay. So you randomly pick one from google images and dont know what anime it's from?

• i only liked halo 3. the rest suck ass!

• I like shooting games, but, you don't see me going out and shooting people in real life. I don't even have a gun license

What Girls Said 4

• I am not sure but it get annoying!

• I have no idea. I suck at those games, ukkjsdhfjkahdf. So much aim required.

• I guess because its a fun way to make the time go by! Also trolling people on Cod is funny to me! :P

• I don't even play video games (pretty much never) but I've played Call of Duty before with my brother & it was fun. I like the "shooter games" better than other types.