In what order did you watch Star Wars?

In what order do you deem the "correct" order? As in, the order you recommend people to watch them in.

I watched 4, 5, 6 and then 1, 2, 3 and then 7.

Most Helpful Guy

• The story as constructed by George Lucas tells the story of the fall and redemption of Aniken Skywalker as told from the perspective of his son.

There is another way to watch the films that has is an interesting dramatic experience. Treat the story as the story of Luke Skywalker. Do so by viewing the movies in the following order:

4, 5, 2, 3, 6

(Note that this progression omits episode 1 as this portion of the story only looks at the time of Aniken's youth. It is cannon, but then so is the Star Wars Holiday Special and you don't see anybody talking about that.)

This progression treats episodes 2 & 3 as a flashback that occurs when Luke learns that Darth Vader is his father. The story drops back to when Aniken was the same age as Luke and explains how Lord Vader came to exist. The resolution of the plot arc occurs in episode 6 when Luke Kills Emperor Palpatine with the aid of his father. The resulting death of Lord Vader under these circumstances restores balance to the FORCE and restores Aniken to his revered place alongside other fallen Jedi Knights.

• Good way to think of the storyline as a diffrent perspective.. i think 1 should be included first as Darth Sidius and Maul are both vital in Anikens story is is the first meeting of Pademe/Obi and Aniken

• @LaurenGrace

Those are vital elements of Aniken's story, yes.

However, they are not specifically germane to Luke's story. Maul is dead before Luke and Leia are born. Emperor Palpatine has always held that title from Luke's perspective. Growing up on Tatooine, the Empire itself seems remote, the old Republic seems like a ghost or a legend.

Confining the story to Luke's perspective is stifling at times. In episode 4, Luke knows nothing of his past or his future. Even when he is being taught the ways of a Jedi by Master Yoda himself in episode 5, you can tell that there is much that Yoda holds back from Luke.

My point is that the audience can learn too much. As a consequence, Luke's individual perspective gets lost. To tell the story from Luke's point of view requires you to not always understand what's going on.

Most Helpful Girl

• 4, 5, 6 then 1, 2, 3. Haven't seen 7 yet. I'd say that's the right way to watch them :)

• I agree. However there are people confused about why, so I was curious if I was just surrounded by dumb people or if it was a common confusion.

• @Dubhlann Yeah, that's why we watched them that way. I recently saw someone suggest watching them: 4, 5, 1 , 2, 3, 6 though, which I think is kinda interesting because then you get Anakin straight after the 'I am your father' reveal, you get to draw out the suspense of Han in the carbonite, and you end the series with the victory at Endor rather than how you feel when you finish on Revenge of the Sith.

• See it's so easy now because you can do that. When _I_ watched them it was THREE YEARS before I could find out what happened to Han.

What Guys Said 18

• 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7.

I first got into Star Wars in 1995 or so, meaning that when I was getting in to it, there were only 4, 5, and 6. I think I watched them in that order. Then I watched 1, 2, 3, and 7 as they were released in theaters.

The way I see it, 4, 5, and 6 are the main story that everything else revolves around. 1, 2, and 3 explain the backstory of 4, 5, and 6 and elaborate on ideas briefly mentioned in it. When you think about it that way, the numbering system makes a little sense. I liked them, but you could almost say they are optional.

Then there's 7, which I feel like you could also watch or not. I liked it, but if a person just wanted to watch 4, 5, and 6, I feel like they'd get the main gist of Star Wars.

Personally I like the old Expanded Universe, and even then, I like the Old Republic stuff through the movies. I don't really follow what happened after Return of the Jedi because I really feel that Darth Vader is the ultimate Star Wars villain. You just can't top him in terms of character complexity for the villains.

• Ok well it depends on what you care about more.

If you enjoy the story more and want it to make sense ( unless you've watched all of them before ) Then go in chronological order of the actual movie events.

Star Wars Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Clone Wars
    Star Wars Revenge of the Sith
    Star Wars a New Hope
    Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of The Jedi
    Star Wars the Force Awakens

If you don't care about the movies chronological order event wise and just want to enjoy the movies in general then watch them in the chronological order in which they came out.

Star Wars a New Hope
    Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of The Jedi
    Star Wars Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Clone Wars
    Star Wars Revenge of The Sith
    Star Wars the Force Awakens

And Of course I didn't add in the Star Wars Cartoon TV Series since I don't know if you like those or anything, those would be

Movie events chronological order

Star Wars Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Clone Wars
    Star Wars the Clone Wars Mini Series
    Star Wars Clone Wars TV Series
    Star Wars Revenge of the Sith
    Star Wars Rebels TV Series
    Star Wars a New Hope
    Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of The Jedi
    Star Wars the Force Awakens

Movie chronological order

Star Wars a New Hope
    Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of The Jedi
    Star Wars Phantom Menace
    Star Wars Clone Wars
    Star Wars the Clone Wars TV Mini Series
    Star Wars Revenge of The Sith
    Star Wars Clone Wars TV Series
    Star Wars Rebels TV Series
    Star Wars the Force Awakens

(yeah I know massive star wars geek lol)

• That is the correct order! They were made that way and intended to be watched that way so seeing shocks like Luke and Leia are twins come as a surprise in episode 6 just saying 😜

• I know ;)

• Yeah but for those who have seen all of them over and over since the 80s & the 2nd Trilogy the surprise is no longer there so watching 1-7 has its merits now more than ever.. watching the various sith lords, the evolution the fall and rebirth of the jedi and alliance

• i've done it many ways, and now im watching them in chronological order according to the canon just because.

I'm also including the clone wars cartoon series and the rebels cartoon as they are canon too.

quite interesting watching them this way!

• The same order like you did ;)

• I would agree chronological order of production rather plot chronology is the correct order.

• 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7 and on.
    Once the new trilogy is established, I would almost recommend NEVER watching the prequels if you're not really into SW.
    They're not quite as bad as it's fun to make them out to be, but if you're not a real nerd, you don't need to sit through them.
    It depends how much they reference them in the new trilogy though.

• Watch them in order I say.

I saw them just like how you did. People our age did that. Haven't seen 7 yet.

• What order DID I watch them? Well I watched them in the order they came out...

ANH - 1977
    ESB - 1980
    RotJ - 1983
    TPM - 1999
    AotC - 2002
    RofS - 2005
    TFA - 2015

• Last month I watched 4-5-6 then 7... then went back and watched 1-2-3.

• I watched the same order you watched them. I don't care for the prequels to much but I love episode 7.

• 0|0
  • 4-6 then 1-3 then 7 for me.

• Same as you. The original trilogy then the prequel trilogy then the new one.

• 4,5,6,1,2,3,7. I like to pretend that 1,2,3 don't exist.

• In the same order as yours, except I haven't seen the 7th one yet.

• haven't watched it

• I really don't like the prequels, when i watch them I only watch 4,5 and 6

• I watched them in order but I hear there's like, an ideal order, I forget which ones though

What Girls Said 8

• I watched them in the same order as you. I don't know if it's the correct order, but that's what I did.

• Me too - 4, 5, 6 and then 1, 2, 3... then 7 :)

• I watched in the same order that you did

• I find star wars boring
    I watched it before and fell asleep.

• i've never seen any

• Same except I have yet to watch 7

• I've watched them many times, last time I watched them in-universe chronological order.

• 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7