Who else agrees that Romeo and Juliet does not deserve to be called the best love story of all time?

I don't think it should be interpreted as a love story in the first place. I think it is a precaution for the young people of Shakespeare's time. If only they waited and came up with an intelligent solution to their problem, then they wouldn't have to kill themselves. Who else shares my sentiments?

• Romeo and Juliet is the best!
  • You're right. It was a stupid move to kill themselves
  • I don't give a damn

Most Helpful Guy

• It was created as a tragic comedy. Shakespeare thought killing themselves over a "romance" based on knowing each other for 5 days was silly too. It was meant to be a COMEDY

• ```The final great “failing” of the play is in its structural impurity. Romeo and
      Juliet is a comedy that has gone terribly off the rails. Consider any of
      Shakespeare’s great comedies—A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Twelfth
      Night, Much Ado About Nothing, As You like It—and you will note that they
      share identical plot and structural elements. Two young lovers are prevented
      from uniting by an intruding society and a fundamental misunderstanding. ```

college.holycross.edu/.../Rome_%20and_Juliet.pdf

• Worst. Comedy. EVER.

• @BuchitaBuchys It's one of his earlier works. It sucked so much as a comedy, people thought it was a tragedy; but it was actually just a tragically bad comedy :p

What Guys Said 12

• Another overanalyzed and overdiscussed about Shakespearean "Tragedy" is more like it. No offense to any Shakespeare fans intended.

I hated how I had to read this shit in high school, and get homework assignments and tests for it but that's long over for me now.

Looking back on it I do think that Romeo and Juliet's obsession that they had for each other caused them not to think clearly and carefully by moving too fucking quickly and ultimately caused each other's doom. But I guess until they had died that the fighting and bitter rivalry between their families just would never ever stop.

• the story takes place over the course of about a week. two foolish children (he is 18 and she is 13 in the original) hook up, have sex, and the kill themselves in an angsty way to show their families what dicks they've been.
    no one falls in love in a week, and teenagers doing stupid things because their parents don't like who they're dating always make for shit stories.
    Shakespeare wrote some great stuff. Romeo & Juliet was not one of his best.

• Also worth mentioning, to provide a bit of historical context; the onset of puberty in the Elizabethan Era was roughly four years later than the onset of puberty today. Juliet is explicitly stated to be a pre-pubescent- there is no way in which this can be misinterpreted. When Old Capulet states to Paris that "'she hath not seen the change of fourteen years", he's making a clear statement that she hasn't even started going through puberty yet. As such, if we were to put on a theatre production in which the canonical Romeo and Juliet's level of sexual development were kept historically accurate through the use of age-appropriate actors and actresses, then the role of Romeo would be played by a 12-13 year old boy, and the role of Juliet would be played by a 9 year old girl (with Count Paris, the man who Juliet's parents arrange her marriage to, being played by a man in his early twenties). They're not even teenagers- they're elementary schoolers.

• I mean, on the one hand, I feel like it's kinda pretentious to label it the "best ever."

But yeah, it's the best ever... LOL.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
    My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
    The more I have, for both are infinite.”

• Yes, like most Shakespeare's works it's well-written and has beautiful lyrics.

• Agreed but I don't think it is considered the best love story by critics. It's just one the most famous and popularized. It's not even considered Shakespeare's best work. Far from that. He wrote so much better stuff.

• You keep saying "if they'd waited". What was going to change? Their stupid families hated each other, their plan to be together was a way around it and almost worked.

• Well, they killed themselves on impulse, in an act of hopeless desperation and really, how long have they known each other? 3 days?

• That was the tragic flaw in Romeo and Juliet. Romeo's tendency to act on impulse, which eventually caused his own death. :)

• You wouldn't say that Tybalt's stupid honour being offended by Romeo daring to crash his party had anything to do with it? If he'd just been cheesed off with it and not gone around starting fights, nobody would have died.

• I think the 1966 Zeferelli movie was well done, but beyond that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcfXUL-7n0

• They died for love

• Have you even read the play? It was an act of desperation because Juliet wanted a way out from her impending marriage, she was only 13. They were both emotionally immature and stupid.

• 😂😛 cause we get old and get a different idea of love

• Be sure to remind me when you fall in love (as if) so I can personally give you a dagger to stab yourself with. 😂😂😂😂

• Who calls it the best love story of all time?

• The best love story of all time should be Judy & Punch.

• Divine Comedy was better.

• You must offer up an alternative 'greatest love story of all time'.

• They died for each other. They couldn't be with each other, so they died because they knew they couldn't and didn't want to live without each other. How is that not the best?

• That was stupidity and cowardice. You don't die for love, you fight and live for it. They could have solved the feud between their families or waited. Sheesh, Juliet was only 13.

• Of course you're jealous

• Call it what you want, but I don't want to stab myself in the tummy for a guy.

• Romeo and Juliet is a load of cobblers, a load of weak and pathetic waffle. I have no time shit stories like that.

What Girls Said 5

• I agree. I don't think it's even a very good play. Like we spent weeks and weeks on it in high school and it. Was. Torture.

• I'm gonna get hate and called stupid, but I am not a fan of Shakespeare at all. I've read Romeo and Juliet and other crap by him and I was so excited because everyone made it seem like he was the best. But it did not live up to the hype at all. It was boring and uninteresting in my opinion.

Sorry Shakespeare fans.

• Shakespeare just proved at what lengths people would go if they love each other lol. Romeo killed himself because he though his love died. She woke up killed herself because he died. Plus it was a strong move on both the families since they are enemies. Re read the play and read between the lines to get the deeper meaning

• Also romeo and Juliet isn't a love story 😂 if you actually read and studied it there's more hatred than love in that story

• True. But none of this would have happened if the adults sought peace.

• @ArtDent Also true. :)

• Lol, duh it doesn't deserve to be. Obviously Twilight is the best romance. Like, come on. That's common knowledge.

• Romeo and Juliet is not a real love story. It was however a three day romance between a 13 and 17 year old where three people died. Sincerely everyone who actually read the book.

• You're right :)

• It was meant to be a comedy, Shakespeare didn't intend it to be taken as a guide to true love or anything. The message was "look at how stupid these people are for killing themselves over something so petty"